• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins SP3Rv3 Guard

majohnson2

Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Front Range, CO
Anyone running the Seekins SPRv3 handguard? I am curious if the bottom of the guard gets hot since it gets closer to the barrel. I like the way Seekins has flatten it making it better for supported shooting.

Anyone running the Seekins SPRv3 handguard? I am curious if the bottom of the guard gets hot since it gets closer to the barrel. I like the way Seekins has flatten it making it better for supported shooting.

I have had no issues with heat-transfer/overheating/etc. problems with the Seekins SP3R handguards (regardless of generation from v1 through current v3). My largest combo with the SP3R uses an SLR Rifleworks adjustable block under a 15" SP3R with minimal clearance between the ID of the rail and the block and I have not noticed any such issues, even under extended strings of fire (I admit though that I have not used the rifle for any "running and gunning," multiple mag dumps, etc.). YMMV depending on how you'll be running your particular rifle.

I hadn't considered that mounting gas block could be an issue.

Not all low-pro gas blocks were created equal, but generally speaking, the SLR Sentry and Syrac blocks (Gen 1 and 2) will fit under the SP3R in my experience (again...depending on any accessory rails you might have mounted around the journal, your barrel/journal size, gas block design/size, etc., etc.).

Just put this one together this week. Using a plane jane Troy low profile block I already had, it has plenty of clearance on the handguard. Waiting on a couple parts before I get out to shoot it, but I don't think heat will be an issue. Hopefully you can see this picture I attempted inside the handguard. That screw for the pic rail is about an inch in front of the gas block, however longer gas blocks may have clearance issues. This is a 15" guard with 18" rifle gas length barrel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: