• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seized by price nostalgia ...

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
I ran across this a few minutes ago:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8mm Romanian Ammo
by Abwehr » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:48 pm

For thos interested, AIM Surplus has a sale TODAY ONLY for Romanian 8mm ammo in spam cans. There is a limit of Two (2) cans in the wood crate per buyer. <span style="font-weight: bold">The cost is $22.95 per can.</span></div></div>

Now just even try to find it.

Re: Seized by price nostalgia ...

A blast from nostalgia: In '97 our local Roses store had surplus M1 Garands for $109 and M1 Carbines for $89, there were no limts on quantities. In my zeal of the Clinton threat to firearms running rampant in his second term, I bought 4 of each as trade investments. All them looked nearlt new and unissued. One garand still had the cosmoline caked all over it. I slowly sold off all of them, to cover divorce expenses from the second wife. I wished now I could of seen where the market would go and held onto them or bought alot more.

I think the firearms purchase may have been the lead in to the divorce in the long run. She was not all to happy with the investment.

Makes me want to buy cases of AK-74 ammo, 7.62x54R, .30 carbine, 7.62x25 (relatively cheap) and hold them as an investment- probably do better than a 401K! I remember $79 SKS all day long in the late 90's, never wanted one till I saw a poster hanging in the Sheriff's office that said "SKS - TURN IT IN" (California)

That really spooked me and just made me want to get into shooting sports even more. (Bought an M1A national match instead of the SKS
grin.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidTnVet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M1 Garands for $109 and M1 Carbines for $89, there were no limts on quantities. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superjc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember $79 SKS all day long in the late 90's, </div></div>

These are the ones that really hurt!! Like guys telling you that they remember the days when you could pick up an original Enfield No4T with all the CWS kit for less than a good night at the pub!
cry.gif

Not to mention the bloke I know who bought a couple of L96's coming off inventory for £25 each (including transit cases, original green x6 S&B, spares and replacement barrel)
cry.gif
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidTnVet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A blast from nostalgia: In '97 our local Roses store had surplus M1 Garands for $109 and M1 Carbines for $89, there were no limts on quantities. In my zeal of the Clinton threat to firearms running rampant in his second term, I bought 4 of each as trade investments. All them looked nearlt new and unissued. One garand still had the cosmoline caked all over it. I slowly sold off all of them, to cover divorce expenses from the second wife. I wished now I could of seen where the market would go and held onto them or bought alot more.

I think the firearms purchase may have been the lead in to the divorce in the long run. She was not all to happy with the investment. </div></div>
I never saw Garands that cheap here in Fl. but they were $180.00 each from RSR back then. The downside was that they were "Blue Sky" imports and while some of them looked great many of them had shot out barrels and other issues that would make them not function properly. It was really a crap-shoot as whether or not you got a good one. Rumor had it they were just slapped together from parts that were never inspected. To this day if I see the tell-tale importer's stamp on the barrel of a Garand I just put it down and walk away. I don't care if they only want $200 for it. It just ain't worth it to me. YMMV.

We all will be having alot of nostalgia days as time goes on related to our shooting. With the internet, media, and so called reality shows, the shooting sports garner lots of attention. The days of cheap ammo, and happening upon a really killer deal on a firearm are over. Anyone that inherits a pristine firearm and look it up anywhere. Gun shops can go online and compare their prices with just about anyone at anytime and adjust prices accordingly. The internet is a boon for everyone being able to converse and connect with people of similar interests, but it can also be a curse

The sad thing for me is all of my hobbies the old cars, shooting, fishing and boats have huge followings on the internet. I have made lots of friends and contacts but I have seen prices steadily rise due to the larger demand and exposure of the internet. I guess it is a trade-off.

[/quote]
I never saw Garands that cheap here in Fl. but they were $180.00 each from RSR back then. The downside was that they were "Blue Sky" imports and while some of them looked great many of them had shot out barrels and other issues that would make them not function properly. It was really a crap-shoot as whether or not you got a good one. Rumor had it they were just slapped together from parts that were never inspected. To this day if I see the tell-tale importer's stamp on the barrel of a Garand I just put it down and walk away. I don't care if they only want $200 for it. It just ain't worth it to me. YMMV. [/quote]

I agree, I bought a Korean return Blue Sky Import M1 Carbine in 1985 for $150. This was before I knew any better, it "looked" new but was actually a worn out junker. Blue Sky reparked them just to fool unsuspecting buyers like myself
Years later I changed the barrel, stock and a few other parts. Today shes a decent shooter.
Lesson learned