• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Selecting a Leupold for Rem 700 BDL, .30-06

qwaq

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2009
Hello. I have a Remington 700 BDL, .30-06, and have been looking at the Leupold VX-II 3-9X40. I have the Leupold base mount, 1 piece. Will the scope I'm looking at sit too high for comfort? Also, is there a better model or brand of scope that would be more suitable (price, quality, etc.) for this rifle? Thank you in advance.

Re: Selecting a Leupold for Rem 700 BDL, .30-06

Well... the VX-II 3-9X40 LRD is $360...around that budget.

The comfort issue only you can decide, by how it fits and feels. As far as the scope goes, I like Leupolds, but only the best ones, wouldn't buy anything less than a mk4. But thats out of your budget, so I would recomend you push the envelope of your budget slightly and get a Nikon Monarch. I believe they can be had for around 425 to 500$ for the lower end ones, and I think you will be more than pleased with the results.

I recommend a Bushnell Elite 4200; they run 425.00 and for me, are brighter than the Nikon.

Sorry about that; I read through the replies too quick. for your budget, get a Bushy 3200; most of them are under 400.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krummarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend a Bushnell Elite 4200; they run 425.00 and for me, are brighter than the Nikon.</div></div>

I also have had a couple Bushnell's, an elite 4200 6-24 and a 4-16 (I think) both were good enough scopes, I still have the 6-24, but Bushnell's customer service was terrible, I had a reticle break, and it took almost two months and too many angry phone calls to get it back. I haven't noticed my Bushnell to be any brighter than my nikons, and I've never had to deal with nikon cust. service. But I'll never buy another bushnell.

You must have missed the memo.
This month is the Bash Leupold Month
smile.gif

My friend bought a new VX2 4-12 x 40. It is very clear, and Leupys lifetime warranty is a big deal. Id choose a VX2 over any bushnell any day of the week. The scope you chose is an excellent choice for a hunting rifle.

I think you're in the right ballpark. Eye relief and cheekweld are personal things. The point is to get a firm, comfortable, repeatable weld with no shadowing at the edges of the image.

It would make more sense to me to consider a cheekweld pad if the scope's optical axis ends up too high. I suggest the Cheek-Ease from Brownell, and make something similar for my own use from 'Foamies' peel and stick craft foam available in the crafts department at most Walmarts. Be sure to clean off the mounting surface with rubbing alcohol and dry it thoroughly before installing the pad.

When everything's right, go back and get a sharp focus on the reticle by adjusting the rear bell. No sense in having an adjustment available and not using it.

Greg

Stick with the Leupold over the Bushnell, Nikon etc IMO. The Nikons do seem like a nice scope, I'm not bashing them in anyway

You could also look around for a VX-III, I have a 3.5-10. The VX-III is an older model but is an excellent scope. I have seen them for >$350. The 40mm bell should allow it to be mounted plenty low, if you want it higher you can always get a higher set of rings.