• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Selecting a Pack.. Need opinions for a backpack

dcskater602

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
Ive been looking around for a while for a pack that i like. I dont need anything huge, but not too small either... slightly bigger than a school backpack would be nice.. lets call it the 2500-3000 ci range i guess..
This pack will be used for range work and some light hiking. Also be a day pack for hunting likely

I wish there was a store around that stocked this stuff so that i can put my hands on it... so... who's using what?

ive looked at a few including the Blackhawk Phoenix pack ($150ish)
18-128-IMG1_L.jpeg

Voodoo tacticals MOLLE assualt packs ($65) I have a voodoo drag bag and im not dissapointed with the quality.
65_1_.jpg

Condors 3 day assault pack ($65)
30650L.jpg

anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Bill

Re: Selecting a Pack.. Need opinions for a backpack

eagle makes good day pack also, and eberlestock gunslinger is great.

The Phantom is a great pack. You can either use them together, or apart and they hold up well.

xdeano

Eberlestock makes excellent packs. Highly recommend them. Also Camelback. I got a BFM that I have had for years and it's held up very well. That Condor pack above appears to be basically the same pack as the BFM.

My Camelbak BFM (2004 vintage) has been great. Very durable. However it doesn't have a real hipbelt and doesn't carry like a proper pack.

I recently got a Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer and am thoroughly impressed. Damned nice all the way around with a proper hipbelt. Very comfy to carry and I love the trizip opening. Pricey, but NICE.

I've tried several other packs in that size range (badlands, mountainsmith, kelty, blackhawk, north face, etc) and the Mystery Ranch is a clear winner in my estimation.

imo, a surplus marine corps assault pack would do fine. i also just got the new corpsman/medics pack, came with a pouch on a drop strap, and a cross body/messanger style sling bag. you can beat the hell out of em, and they are cheap, just go to amazon, ebay, or where ever google takes you

I have 2 LBT medical packs and can not say enough about them. They are not the biggest but I like having all the internal pockets and they are built like tanks. You can find them used for 200 or less if you are patient and look. Just some more food for thought

I will also suggest that you take a serious look at the stuff from Mystery Ranch. Quality bags that can take a beating. I have abused mine for over almost 2 years and it is still in perfect condition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">imo, a surplus marine corps assault pack would do fine. i also just got the new corpsman/medics pack, came with a pouch on a drop strap, and a cross body/messanger style sling bag. you can beat the hell out of em, and they are cheap, just go to amazon, ebay, or where ever google takes you </div></div>

I have a couple of the USMC ILBE Assault Packs that I bought for some test & evaluation about a month ago. Granted, they are used, but in good condition. The construction quality & layout is excellent AND it comes with a functional hip belt. It is a basic but rugged pack and an excellent value. They would make for an outstanding day pack. (I'll be adding them to deltaoutdoorsman.com in the coming weeks).

Eberlestock builds a number of packs that could fill your needs, from the X1E, Gunslinger, and Gunslinger II, FAC Track, and Halftrack. I am assuming that you don't require an integrated scabbard. If this is the case you owe it to yourself to look at any or all of these packs (the X1E and both Gunslinger packs come with an integrated scabbard but can be tucked into the bottom of the pack when not in use). Eberlestock offers a solid pack for hunting and tactical applications and are a great value when you consider the pricing of the Mystery Ranch, Kifaru & other "premium" line packs.

Let us know more specifics for your applications & we can narrow down the selection to a couple of packs. Shoot me a PM if you have specific questions you don't want to include here...

Best of luck to you.

Maxpedition. I use the Vulture and it's a great pack. Check it out

I've been extremely happy with the Eagle A-III MOLLE. Triad has them:

http://www.triadtactical.com/A-III-Pack-MOLLE.html

There is also a non-MOLLE version which is a bit cheaper. The Blackhawk looks frighteningly similar; at the price point you've listed for that, I'd just go with the Eagle and call it good.

Once you get beyond this tier, you're into the really high-end stuff like Mystery Ranch and Kifaru, as Ceylon pointed out...

on a sidenote, those drop pouch and sling/messanger bags, i have an extra of each

Kifaru - their G1 stuff is 50% off right now.

Had the bottom one (or a copy of it) and it was nice except for build quality. When it gave up I bought a Kifaru Marauder G1 with belt and I love it. I put a flash bang pouch (for kestrel) and a sustainment pouch on the face. The sustainment will hold 2x 50 rnd midway ammo boxes, a redman rear bag, and my ear pro (folded up howard leights). The internal pocket holds alot of extra stuff like water, food, tab gear mat, clothes, data book, and some very basic tools and cleaning kits. It is typically bigger then I need for matches but this has still worked well for me for other tasks.

Camelbak BFM gets my vote . I also have a Camelbak Ranger in Real Tree that I use for hunting season which is about the same size but cost a lot less .

Condor is really good at ripping off everyones designs so they can go F themselves as far as I am concerned .

Most of my kit is Kifaru, but I just ordered a Dragon Slayer from Mystery Ranch and it is a great pack - 2300 ci, lots of inside pouches, the belt tucks away in its own slots and the 3 zip access is pretty cool.

You said 2500-3000 cu in. You need to decide if you want a frame and waist belt to support the load, vs a cheaper pack that you just throw on your back. If you want a pack that can carry some weight with a frame and belt, then I recommend the Mystery Ranch Bighorn: http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2970/.f?sc=8&category=1966

The Dragonslayer is the next step smaller without the frame: http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3290/.f?sc=8&category=1966

I use an Eberlestock X1A1, excellent pack.

Rob Opp

There is a couple of places here in Colorado that sell that VooDoo Tac stuff. Its cheap knock offs. Zippers break and stitching is poor. You definatly get what you pay for. I have one of the CamelBack BFM and havent had problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a couple of places here in Colorado that sell that VooDoo Tac stuff. Its cheap knock offs. Zippers break and stitching is poor. You definatly get what you pay for. I have one of the CamelBack BFM and havent had problems. </div></div>

Ya I have seen them around here. My buddy bought one and it has served him decent so far. They do seem like the zippers will fail quick, it will be interesting to see how long it lasts for him.

+1 for the Camelbak BFM.

I have used mine for a number of years and it has yet to fail me. Came with what looked like a decent hip strap, but I haven't used it.

Also fits a Pelican 1490 perfectly in the main compartment if needed.

If you can spare the coin, Kifaru Marauder for sure.

I have a Spec-Ops "The Pack" a Cammelbak BFM and a Eberlestock Gunslinger II.

I really like all of them depending on what my needs are. They are all rugged, well thought out and easily organized for efficient use through being able to put your hands on things. They all also carry well on your back.

The Gunslinger II is the largest with the least amount of built in organization. The Spec-Ops is a very handy size and overbuilt. The Camelbak is a bit larger than most of my needs but it's very well thought out and the easiest to organize. If I had to choose one (and I'd hate to do it) I'd go with the Eberlestock Gunslinger II. I'm not sure yet if it will last as long as the other two packs I mentioned but I really like the built in scabbard. It's just a feature the other two don't have.

I have a milsurp Molle Assult Pack that is like you describe, I will send you a PM. I have some extra for $40 shipping included. I didnt want to spend a bunch of cash for a full featured pack that I would thrash.

Kifaru makes excellent packs.

walmart dora the explora backpack works nicely for a daypack and reasonably inexpensive, otherwise just utilize the prison purse most times.

Most my packs have external Molle webbing, but this pack has been great for when I want to have built-in external organization pockets. Tactical Tailor sent me one of these to try out and it has held up really well. Gets a lot of use.

040909ll_tactaylor002-246x300.jpg

It's the Tactical Tailor 3 day plus. No internal frame or scabbard, but has ample storage and lots of padding. I like all the seperate pockets for organizing gear and the layout allows quick access to any section. Plus, it's built like a tank!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">walmart dora the explora backpack works nicely for a daypack and reasonably inexpensive, otherwise just utilize the prison purse most times.</div></div>

I rock the Lightning McQueen CARS backpack, same basic pack though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">walmart dora the explora backpack works nicely for a daypack and reasonably inexpensive, otherwise just utilize the prison purse most times.</div></div>

I rock the Lightning McQueen CARS backpack, same basic pack though </div></div>Woody and Buzz Lightyear here.

I have an Eberlestock halftrack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You said 2500-3000 cu in. You need to decide if you want a frame and waist belt to support the load, vs a cheaper pack that you just throw on your back. If you want a pack that can carry some weight with a frame and belt, then I recommend the Mystery Ranch Bighorn: http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2970/.f?sc=8&category=1966

The Dragonslayer is the next step smaller without the frame: http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3290/.f?sc=8&category=1966 </div></div>

Scooter-PIE (or anyone else with a MR Bighorn),

can you explain what the external flap/pouch provides on the MR Bighorn. I've been looking at that pack, but can find anything that shows or describes what that part is for.

Thanks,
SFT