• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Self guided mule deer/elk hunt.

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
Some friends and I are starting to plan an out west hunt. States of interest are Nebraska, north/south Dokata, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. We are doing our best to find public land but as most of you know scouting from a computer screen is extremely difficult.

We don't really care about target animal. We just want to get out and hunt.

We are not expecting trophy class animals but as always bigger the better.

Easy to get tags is a plus but be are prepared to wait a few years to draw tags.

Would prefer a rifle hunt but open to anything really

I am not expecting anyone to drop any super secret public land spots that are crawling with monsters that are right off the roads, but any suggestions as to where to look would be greatly appreciated.

We are not opposed to pay to hunt some private ground but definitely looking to keep things affordable. If anyone has a ranch that allows diy hunters for an affordable price I would be interested

Thanks for any help anyone has to offer.

Reactions: R-B
Colorado has plenty of OTC options.
I successfully went to Colorado for MZ elk this year. We went 2 for 4 self guided. It was our 2nd time hunting this area. We did lots of e scouting with Google and onx. Both elk were taken less than 1 mile from areas had never stepped foot on just looked good escouting.

Have any of you ever been out west?

Spot and stalk archery mule deer in the badlands in North Dakota is an easy tag to get and lots of public land. The word has gotten out on it and the pressure is getting higher but it’s still a fun hunt with some trophy potential. I just got back from a DIY elk hunt in Wyoming. Got a reduced price cow tag and hunted public land. We went 2 for 4 but should have done better.