• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Training Courses Self instruction and opportunities for study

Litheran

Sportsman
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2014
Idaho
So right now I'm working as a LEO until I get medically cleared to join the military and all things working out, become a "dedicated long distance sharpshooter". I am a hunter and archer but marksmanship is something I'm familiar with in the short term. Idaho offers many different environments in which you can stalk or glass prey. I have never had the opportunity or need to engage an animal beyond 250-300 yards. I have an understanding of combat from a law enforcement perspective and I want to lay the groundwork to become a long distance precision shooter and able soldier.

What I'm trying to ask in this long run on way is; understanding basic marksmanship, how can I gain the shorthand knowledge of terms and doctrines through self taught means? I saw a youtube user called TiborasaurusRex and a series of videos where he goes over Sniper basics, practices and knowledge. Is this a useful teaching tool? I know the main thing I need to do is start pushing the range of my practical shooting experience; I'm accurizing my Mosin right now to try and make it precise enough to learn the fundamentals.

I have a fellow officer who is a veteran Marine and he has expressed interest in assisting me with on the range training. Where can I find basic dope cards, range data logs to save and print off for myself? I'd appreciate any advice you guys have to share. I considered going to my departments dedicated LE Snipers, but am not sure of the approach I should take. Our guys have an even split of being good officers and total dickwads.

-Ran

P.S. I have an almost obsessive compulsive attitude when it comes to using the term sniper loosely when concerning myself, apologize for the weird descriptiveness.

P.S.S. Feel free to bust my balls as all my friends and fellow officers feel it is instrumental in preparing me for life in the military.