• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Self timed brakes

xRangerx

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Looking at picking up a brake for my 280ai bergara. Due to the moderate size barrel contour (#5) I don’t want a huge brake but am considering the following:

Hawkins tank (new self timed version)
419 hellfire/sidewinder
The made/sold by Bergara

Thoughts? Any others I should look at?

Reactions: Average guy
Looking at picking up a brake for my 280ai bergara. Due to the moderate size barrel contour (#5) I don’t want a huge brake but am considering the following:

Hawkins tank (new self timed version)
419 hellfire/sidewinder
The made/sold by Bergara

Thoughts? Any others I should look at?
APA lil bastard gen 2 is a fairly compact brake with some of the best recoil reduction on the market

Area 419 Sidewinder or Hellfire gets my vote. I've pretty much washed my hands of brakes on my bolt guns in favor of the Maverick, but I have been very happy with my 419 brakes.

Reactions: xRangerx
Hellfire 2P on a Bergara #5 contour for reference. Definitely a little chunky looking on the thin barrel but I’ve gotten used to it.

Attachments

• B5FF495F-0C20-43C8-A178-ECD079619089.jpeg
    B5FF495F-0C20-43C8-A178-ECD079619089.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 55
  • D35E171B-C1FE-4FAC-B294-DE426F58B7D4.jpeg
    D35E171B-C1FE-4FAC-B294-DE426F58B7D4.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 55
30 cal Sidewinder on a 6.5 stick. Great recoil reduction.

Just dont try to hand unscrew the thing after a few hundred rounds down the pipe... its fucking sharp

I would recommend reading Precision Rifle Blogs article on muzzle brakes. They not only tested recoil reduction but sound also. It’s a very complete test. Definitely worth the read.

I would recommend reading Precision Rifle Blogs article on muzzle brakes. They not only tested recoil reduction but sound also. It’s a very complete test. Definitely worth the read.
too bad they don't use any of the common brakes we have now. hellfire heathen sidewinder jetblast tank etc etc

ill send those Hawkins pics today. totally forgot

I’ll put another vote in for the Insite Arms heathen. You can get it with a removable aperture as well so you can change calibers if you ever need to. Not as obnoxious as others when you are on the gun.

too bad they don't use any of the common brakes we have now. hellfire heathen sidewinder jetblast tank etc etc

ill send those Hawkins pics today. totally forgot
I would like to see an updated test also. I was able to glean some knowledge from the test for sure. I would like to shoot a heathen. I went APA because it’s a known product as my son shoots a gen 2. Seems there are quite a few very good choices on the market.

I've own a few of the popular self-timing brakes on the market (APA, A419, Insite Heathen), and the Insite Arms Heathen is my favorite.

They are all effective at reducing recoil, but it's the smaller details that sets the Heathen apart from the other brakes. It's the most refined out of the bunch.

I've own a few of the popular self-timing brakes on the market (APA, A419, Insite Heathen), and the Insite Arms Heathen is my favorite.

They are all effective at reducing recoil, but it's the smaller details that sets the Heathen apart from the other brakes. It's the most refined out of the bunch.
I actually like my Heathen more than my sidewinder.
besides the concussion there’s a level of stability on recoil that’s noticeable and even though it’s on a 260 and not my 7 saum the 260 is substantially lighter.
5+ pounds lighter in fact.
My next barrel is 100% set up for the Sidewinder but my barrel after that will probably get a 4 port Heathen.

I also like how the Heathen doesn’t bury the crown on the standard .625 tenon, that substantially reduces the crud that grows on the crown.

I love the area 419 brakes. I run either the hellfire and sidewinder on all my rifles. I would say the sidewinder may be a bit large but it works well. Here it is on a R700 sendero .300WM.
DD0C2DEC-49E0-4E5A-94BE-2B2901B03E03.jpeg

I’m actually selling this one because I’m wanting to run everything suppressed and I would rather just have to invest in hellfire mounts since they aren’t interchangeable.