• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Selfless move by Highschool player

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
Classy Leonard Fournette defers Prep Player of Year Award to East Jefferson quarterback Eugene Wells

Leonard Fournette normally is on the receiving end of handoffs, but on Monday it was the St. Augustine running back doing the giving, confirming a long-standing belief that his considerable talent is exceeded only by his character.

In a classy act of selflessness Fournette was named recipient of the Greater New Orleans Quarterback Club’s Prep Player of the Year Award at the organization’s season-ending luncheon and then immediately presented it to East Jefferson quarterback Eugene Wells.

“I’d like to thank you all again for picking me Prep Player of the Year,’’ Fournette said thumping the heart area of his chest in reference to earlier recognition as a Prep Player of the Week. “But I feel like I’ve seen (Wells) grow as a young man, so I feel like Eugene Wells deserves this.’’

With that Fournette moved away from the stage podium at The Cannery, carried the trophy over to Wells and deposited the hardware in front of the stunned Warriors senior, who Saturday directed East Jefferson to the school’s first state championship in 59 years of playing football.

Like Fournette, a 6-foot-1, 225-pound senior rated as the nation’s top senior prospect by various internet recruiting services, the less-heralded Wells is a four-year starter who culminated a 35-10 record as EJ’s starting quarterback with a 38-28 victory against Karr in the Class 4A championship game of the Louisiana High School Athletic Association State Farm Prep Classic presented by NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.

East Jefferson, 15-0, finished undefeated for the first time in school history.

“I’d like to thank Leonard Fournette,’’ Wells, who was named East Jefferson’s Outstanding Player in the championship game, said after moving over to the podium. “I’ve been watching him since I was a freshman. He’s a great running back."

“I wasn’t expecting this, but it’s a great honor. Thank you to everyone (involved in the awards) and once again to my family for their support. Once a Warrior always a Warrior.’’

Fournette and Wells had been district rivals during their junior and sophomore seasons, splitting two meetings when St. Augustine competed in Class 4A. It was during that time Fournette later explained that he developed a respect and admiration for the 5-foot-10, 180-pound Wells and his talents.

“I played against him twice, in my junior year and senior year and as a player you could see he grew,’’ Fournette said. “He got better as a player and he got better as a quarterback. And he won a state championship."

"He became a leader and I just felt like he deserved this award. Even though I don’t talk to him a lot, I couldn’t be prouder of him for being a leader and for winning a state championship.’’

Retired East Jefferson and Holy Cross Coach Henry Rando, who now serves as a high school football analyst, was duly impressed by Fournette’s action.

“It was a very classy move,’’ Rando said. “The more I see of this kid (Fournette) the more I’m impressed with him. I think whichever college gets him is going to win a national championship while he’s there because Leonard is the type of person that other people gravitate to.’’

That is what sportsmanship is truly about, too often forgotten in the haze of 'winning is everything" mentality. Good for him.