• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sell me on LMT

The problem with the gas tubes with smaller gas ports (and even with adjustable gas blocks) is they don’t take into account the reality of gas port erosion.

Erosion is FAST. When the whole thickness of the barrel starts out being drilled for the proper amount of gas, that basic hole diameter doesn’t change super fast because there is so much material.

When a tiny thin wall of a gas tube or a little screw from an adjustable gas block protrudes into the natural flow of the hot gasses, it’s a dramatically different story.
People set up their gun and think it’s all good, but their artificial gas ports are opening up fast.

Progress has been made, but users need to DEMAND reasonable gas port sizes and tell manufacturers we are buying brand “X” because we prefer properly gassed weapons.

We will ALL spend less and have better results when we do this.

Have you tried the gas tubes with different port size? The only rifle I own that isn't suppressed full time is my Barrett. Im a set it and forget it type.

No, haven't tried them. I have an older DD 10.3" barrel with the HUUUGE .080 gas port, but its tamed with a AGB. I am 100% suppressed as well and have tried some crazy combos in the past (like an 11.5" mid-gas setup).

You didn't ask but I am going to say it: Buy a small gas port barrel. Black River Tactical sells 100% suppressed barrels but they cost a pretty penny.

And watch out, one of the suppressed 11.5" barrels comes with 5/8 threads:

I think Sionics also sells suppressor only barrels.

Actually have a Black River barreled 12.5" upper incoming. It is NOT a suppressor only barrel, but has a smaller port. I am going to try both an LMT e-carrier and the Bootleg adjustable BCG, see whats what. Its going to be my mini-recce but the only other suppressor I have is a 9.25" Ti monster... going to be a musket...

My wife and I have been running LMT since 2004 / 2005 time frame. She has a complete Defender 2000 lower with the standard flat-top 14.5 upper in 5.56 with a Surefire FH556-212a flash hider pinned and welded. She also has a Defender SOPMOD SEMI Lower with LMT 2 stage trigger that has a Larue Stealth Upper with a 16" White Oak Armament SS barrel in 6.8 SPC with a Surefire MB762-211c brake. I have a Defender SOPMOD Semi Lower with a 16" MRP-CQP Piston Upper in 5.56 with the Surefire FH556-212a flash hider. We both have Surefire FA762K Legacy Suppressors that we run on everything from 5.56 , 6.5 CM , 6.8 , 300BLK , 308 from AR's to our SCAR 17s as well as our bolt guns. I also have a original 1st run Barrett M-468 and I was told and it is apparent that the lower was made by LMT for Barrett. We have been shooting and hunting with them for 15/16 years now to include a few 2 and 3 day carbine classes. They have been totally reliable and quite accurate. The only problem I have ever experienced was I stripped the head of one of the MRP barrel locking screws when the torque wrench slipped which was on me . We had previously owned Bushmasters and even two Colts but sold those and went with LMT due to quality and to standardize our rifles. We have been very pleased with that decision .

My wife and I have been running LMT since 2004 / 2005 time frame. She has a complete Defender 2000 lower with the standard flat-top 14.5 upper in 5.56 with a Surefire FH556-212a flash hider pinned and welded. She also has a Defender SOPMOD SEMI Lower with LMT 2 stage trigger that has a Larue Stealth Upper with a 16" White Oak Armament SS barrel in 6.8 SPC with a Surefire MB762-211c brake. I have a Defender SOPMOD Semi Lower with a 16" MRP-CQP Piston Upper in 5.56 with the Surefire FH556-212a flash hider. We both have Surefire FA762K Legacy Suppressors that we run on everything from 5.56 , 6.5 CM , 6.8 , 300BLK , 308 from AR's to our SCAR 17s as well as our bolt guns. I also have a original 1st run Barrett M-468 and I was told and it is apparent that the lower was made by LMT for Barrett. We have been shooting and hunting with them for 15/16 years now to include a few 2 and 3 day carbine classes. They have been totally reliable and quite accurate. The only problem I have ever experienced was I stripped the head of one of the MRP barrel locking screws when the torque wrench slipped which was on me . We had previously owned Bushmasters and even two Colts but sold those and went with LMT due to quality and to standardize our rifles. We have been very pleased with that decision .

Are you using fixed gas blocks? Since LMT parts are so hard to come by Im thinking of also collecting parts for a Vltor build using their MUR upper. In both cases, would a .625 port with the LMT carrier, and an SD charging handle make the system work without massive gas to the face running a suppressor? Or smaller gas port?

Are you using fixed gas blocks? Since LMT parts are so hard to come by Im thinking of also collecting parts for a Vltor build using their MUR upper. In both cases, would a .625 port with the LMT carrier, and an SD charging handle make the system work without massive gas to the face running a suppressor? Or smaller gas port?
The LMT piston upper has the OEM suppressed/unsuppressed gas plug , the Larue upper has a Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. I have a LMT 10.5" Standard 5.56 upper with a Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. I have another Larue upper with a 12.5" 6.8 ARP barrel with a SLR adjustable gas block and a Mega Billet upper with a 8.5" 300 BLK barrel , Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. The wife's standard LMT upper has a PRI gasbuster charging handle. As mentioned above all have fixed gas blocks except the 12.5 6.8. The reason for all of the different methods of controlling the gas
issue is because of the time frame between when I bought the uppers and what solutions were available at that time.
They all work to eliminate excessive gas to the face and the SLR adjustable gas block and Gemtech suppressed bolt carriers doing the best job and are the softest shooting. I also believe that running the 7.62 Surefire suppressors helps especially on the smaller 6.8 and 5.56 bores.

Reactions: thedude824
I have an LMT upper on a mix-match carbine. The barrel extension came loose from the barrel. I contacted LMT and no one gave a shit. I replaced the barrel with one from PSA. Shoots just as well as it did with the LMT barrel before it came apart.

I have an LMT upper on a mix-match carbine. The barrel extension came loose from the barrel. I contacted LMT and no one gave a shit. I replaced the barrel with one from PSA. Shoots just as well as it did with the LMT barrel before it came apart.

Seems to be a re-occuring theme I keep hearing about.

Reactions: 308pirate
you’re gonna be hard pressed to beat an LMT. Not sure what everyone is taking about LMT’s barrels needing to be upgraded. The SS 5R barrels are Rock Barrels, which also happens to have supplied barrels for M24 Sniper Rifle. Not a damn thing wrong with their barrels.

I’d attribute the .75 MOA groups less due to the barrel quality and more to the fact that it’s just generally more difficult to shoot gassers than bolt Guns.
Spot on

Reactions: thedude824
The standard 16in chrome lined barrel in my old mws will stay around 1in 5 shot groups 100yds I get a few .75 and 1.125 with hand loads. I'm just an occasional shooter.