• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Selling Suppressors

Thereaper1313

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2020
So I'm thinking about selling a few Suppressors that I had aquired as a ffl sot a few years ago. I since retired both my Sot and license. I had set up a dba so when I paid my sot it was done so under my social security number. When I submitted my paperwork to the atf for closing my business I transferred all my inventory including nfa items into my personal collection. I didn't have to pay for a tax stamp on each item since the sot was linked to my ss#(some may disagree but I don't care).
If I was to sell items would they still be considered on a form 3, or would I have to do a individual to sot transfer and pay the tax?

They transfer on a form 4 now, direct to another person in your state, or to a dealer. After transfer to a dealer, they go to an individual on another 4, so tax paid again. One reason cans have less resale value.
So does the form 4 to a dealer take less time similar to form 3? Or is it up in the 6+mnth range.

Well, they are not eForms, so 6-10 weeks. Not needing prints and photos, might be able to efile a form 4, I never tried that.

Well, they are not eForms, so 6-10 weeks. Not needing prints and photos, might be able to efile a form 4, I never tried that.
eForm 4 submission requires the submitter to have a FFL ID.

True, but I don't recall it prevents you from submitting the form with the transferor as an individual. It may, I've not tried it.