• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi accurate, semi gloss, semi automatic rifle .

kopcicle

Obfuscation Engineer
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2022
Covington Wa
bipod_scope.jpeg

Do I need to include toes, whiskey, cigar in photos here ?
This is an impromptu pick of a clown scope on an FAL.

Why so much scope? Multiple reasons. I'm usually alone (without spotter) so the higher magnification allows me to see the point of impact without coming off the rifle.
I have the not so rare ability to freeze frame the release so I can see what I've done wrong. I'm just now getting back to finer control of the release point with the two stage trigger and the 24x seriously magnifies any errors I make. I'm used to the FAL being at an average a 3 MOA platform. However, I have two of these rifles that defy this generality. One is a Franken-FAL parts rifle from hell. Other than it drives tacks the less said the better. The DSA in question is a medium contour barrel with the obvious Para receiver. It's approaching 1+ MOA with it's preferred diet of HPBT 165-168gr. (aside from the first and last round from the 20 round magazine being fliers). The object is to find out why they work so well and the several other examples I've owned and still own are the more usual 3 MOA. My eyes are no longer the eyes of a youngster but I've been living with them all my life and have been tracking the changes so I'm okay for now. I may not be able to use irons past 400 yards anymore but I don't need more than maybe 3 to 4x to get to 500 yards. Note my choice of the Sig Sauer CP1 as an everyday optic.
The end reason is I can
🙂
and for now it works. Eventually It will end up on the BSA Monarch .270 for varmint season and my still in planning chassis rifle for initial testing.
I would have liked the reticle to have been Mil Dot instead of target dot but for $160 if it holds up for a season or two, for a project or two, or for a laugh or two, I'm good with it .
clown_scope_case.jpeg

I call this packing light for the week end.
The mount as you see it was a temporary experiment. I tend to "regulate" the .308 battle rattle with 150gr to a 5" MPBR. This is about 255YDS. So that means at no point does the trajectory pass 2.5" above or below out to 255YDS. So, the experiment was to place the line of sight 2.5" above the bore. The experiment done and the tall rings are off and the 3/4" QD riser remains because the irons pass through.

Currently i need some quality time for recoil and diagnosis. Usually it's all about what's wrong. This time it's about what's right and trying to duplicate it in some premeditated way. I already know that in many ways tuning a tilt locking bolt auto loader into a precision weapon is not the best place to start. In this case I don't have to. I just want to know why ...

Okay that's enough for one day. Follow along if you want. I should be good for a few laughs .

Near No Name BSA MRAD , Target Dot.
I would have preferred Mil-Dot but for $160 bucks ?
If the optic survives the FAL it will finally find a home on a BSA Monarch .270 Win
If I ever have need of that kind of precision at extreme range out of an FAL someone is in deep guano.

This is one of the reasons I stopped posting here. The Hide has helped me understand much about this trade and for that I want to thank the folks who have helped me along the way. To roll out a picture of that (system) speaks volumes. Hopefully the flee market package deal you received included a bayonet.
R/
CBDR

• Haha
Reactions: MarshallDodge
Here's a guy you ( OP ) should get along with

Reactions: kopcicle
Here's a guy you ( OP ) should get along with

Ain't got a dog in that fight. All AR/SR 10/25 wtfever all have good and bad points. Until I succumb to a rotating bolt gas or piston alloy monstrosity I don't have the time to care.

Hang on a minute, did I read it correctly? Your goal is to determine why one rifle is more accurate than another by…shooting it?
Okay so maybe I've got that backwards...

There is a TLDR version at the end.

So semi seriously it's like this, usually we're (well me anyway) dealing with an over or under clocked barrel install or the shoots low thing. Then again there is the infamous all over the map scatter gun for no apparent reason.Also the litany of failure modes including the loose nut behind the trigger. In short it's a case of finding out what's wrong and fixing it.

This time it's finding out what's right and repeating it. Although we have all heard rumors of a sub MOA FAL a white Rhino might be easier to find. Well there is this but I don't see a brag sheet.
My issue is simply this. I have two distantly related FAL pattern rifles.
One is the DSA you see here and the other is a, is a, isn't, well, it's a mutt.
They do have one thing in common. The both go where you point them.
I want to know why.

I got started on this project six years ago and finally was able to pick it up again.
While building data on 165-168g I'm going to dye-chem, smoke, dry ice blast the bolt, bolt carrier, receiver, and locking shoulder hoping to get some witness marks leading to some understanding of what makes for a consistent lock up.

When I last visited this project the "wood sled" was no longer an option and I was building a lead (steel actually) sled. I just need to weld that out and leave it in the front yard with a couple of spray cans. In my neighborhood I'll only have to turn my back for ...

I wish I had time and a place to load for this as the one thing I learned previously was that once fired, in this rifle, and lightly resized ammunition was orders of magnitude more consistent on paper. I don't have massive reserves of Port or SA anymore so I'll have to introduce an ammunition variable that I really don't want to.

This all started one fall day out in the field with long tine friends and our rifles. We play a game of H.O.R.S.E. with misses counting as a letter against as we walk the distance out to ...
I finally got my E at 600 ish yards. I then hit it on the next shot, bad wind call my fault.
Even the bolt guns had dropped out by 300 yards that day.
I had some indication of what I had the first time I shot the rifle.
Just one fouling shot and the next three were touching at 100 yards.
No it doesn't do that on a regular basis but it was an indication of things to come.
The rifle itself may be as good as 1 MOA. Add me to the equation and all bets are off.
Look, I'm like most. I'm okay to begin with and better when I practice. Still I have an off day now and again.
I'm aware of my diminishing skills but my experience keeps me on target.

TLDR version
Back to "My goal is to determine why one rifle is more accurate than another by…shooting it?" No, more like , My goal is to determine why one rifle is accurate by…shooting it. Then it's wash rinse repeat time as I alter the assembly hoping to find the recipe.

Last edited:
...and then the CAD files for this were finished today.
tx4cut.jpg

The pic shows it hanging off a Valmet M62 but you get the idea.
Now saying CAD files is a bit of a misnomer because all the parts are off the shelf and assembled as a weldment. Work continues in Aluminum (Yes , nearly disposable but light weight) and stainless steel.
Waiting for the paperwork to get started on this. I'm just sharing because there may be a packaging and or process engineer or three here that can have some fun with this. I like this design a lot because the entire length and weight is not hanging from the muzzle threads. SOT and form one required, YMMV :)

Bonus points if you can identify where the "baffles" were sourced from.

LOL! That's a great design...from 20 years ago. 😂 😂 😂

100 Year old Maxim silencer VS Griffin Optimus Micro suppressor​

About 124db VS 114 db

10db over 100 years of design? Not bad

I've used an original reflex can on subsonic .308. Approximate 124db to the front and a bit less to the sides. This from nearly 158db with M80 ball You have a point though. modern suppressors will get down to 112-114db at .30 caliber subsonic these days.

That said the lunatics in the dungeon beneath the asylum have come up with some additional design elements during the quarantine. I'll be more than happy to share it with you whether it works or not.
I just have to give them their artistic "space" :)

bsa_cft.jpg

So a fiend, erm I mean friend donated this lumber to the cause.
I have a set trigger, bottom metal and a few magazine parts left over from an old build.
Also have a bull barrel or three hanging around from previous silliness. 6.5 (x55 imp I think) .277 unchambered, and a .308 or three.
In the US they are unicorns. More available in Canada and cheaper than dirt. Anyone in WA know an 08 willing to work with me?
No way I'd call this a sniper rifle. More like a boat anchor that sends party favors a 1000 yards.
All I got for now.