• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi Auto .204 unicorn?

Hogg0494

Old hunter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
Upstate new york
Hi everyone,I know hunting rifles are not as popular here but maybe someone can answer a question.My brother in law is looking for a .204 caliber semi auto hunting rifle(not a ar or chassis style)a traditional looking wood stock rifle.I have searched for hours online and cannot find a single one.new or used.any reason manufacturer’s dont make this?anyone have a lead on a older model maybe?thanks

No ideas for you, but I am kinda curious what model of gun you're leaning towards. There aren't that many wood stocked traditional semi autos designed for hunting out there, and the ones I can think of are all in big game calibers and known for poor accuracy.

He was looking at like a
CZ 527,winchester 70,Browning
I thought Browning had one about 10 years ago but cant find any info
Doesnt have to be a wood stock,synthetic is ok but a traditional hunting rifle style

He was looking at like a
Doesnt have to be a wood stock,synthetic is ok but a traditional hunting rifle style
you might be best looking at some of the rotary magazine lever actions, like the browning BLR. More likely to achieve the results desired.

I know you said no AR, but a .204 is a simple build and can look like this:
download.jpg

Volquartzen made a model of rifle in 204 Ruger. The evolution, though it has been discontinued. Might be able to find one on gunbroker. I would expect it to be accurate.

Hi everyone,I know hunting rifles are not as popular here but maybe someone can answer a question.My brother in law is looking for a .204 caliber semi auto hunting rifle(not a ar or chassis style)a traditional looking wood stock rifle.I have searched for hours online and cannot find a single one.new or used.any reason manufacturer’s dont make this?anyone have a lead on a older model maybe?thanks
No such animal exists. Varmint style AR or bolt action have been only 204’s ever on the market.

Great stuff so far guys. I did neglect to mention trying to keep this under $1k
Something to look into is gimpy’s idea
A used mini-14 rebarreled and caliber change
I looked for the Volquartzen for awhile,none I found but that probably way over the $1k budget

My understanding is that 204 is a varmint cartridge and that requires accuracy. I can't think of many (any?) semi auto platforms other than the AR that are easily capable of small critter accuracy.

I looked for the Volquartzen for awhile,none I found but that probably way over the $1k budget
bolt action will be easier to fit into that budget than an AR, but at least as a result you've got lots of good options that will all clock in under that price and be plenty accurate.

The Mini-14 is not known at all to be an accurate platform. I wouldn't waste my time or money.

i've got a Browning in bolt action with a wood stock that's a beautiful gun and built my own 204 AR using a Shilen 24" barrel

Attachments

• !cid_9E47883E-10C1-4AC5-B34C-828611A6DBAB.jpg
    !cid_9E47883E-10C1-4AC5-B34C-828611A6DBAB.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 50
He was looking at like a

None of those above are semi-auto.
However, if I could choose from that list, it would hands down be the CZ 527. Beautiful little rifles that shoot amazingly well.

I suppose the biggest question is, what is the intended purpose of the rifle?
My 527s are for walking varmint hunting with the exception of the 6.5 Grendel.

Is your friend going to shoot factory ammo or load his own?
With factory, I suppose he's not concerned with retaining his brass.
With hand loading, he'll want to keep it because it's expensive and hard to find.

I hand load and would not want to be trying to locate my precious brass in the tall grass.
YMMV

If you are saving brass from an AR, the Caldwell Pic-rail brass catcher is worth the meager investment.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
Any idea why Middle Man?just not that populr?
204 was conceived and designed to be a varminting cartridge. Hence why the only offerings are single shots, heavy bolt guns, and heavy AR’s. Other semi auto rifle platforms are impractical (rapid, multiple shots unnecessary doe varminting) and/or lacking requisite level of accuracy.

Hi Mike,he will be shooting factory ammo
The main purpose is varmint hunting,he was looking for semi auto for fast follow up shots on misses

I used to own an Evolution in 204, heavy somebitch, just didn’t have good ergonomics. Not as accurate or fun to shoot as my Howa bolt gun in 204. If your BIL really wants a 204 under $1k, bolt action is your best bet. With some practice and an upgraded trigger if needed, shouldn’t really miss much, even on smaller varmints, out to a few hundred yards.

the 204 is one of my favorite rounds - owned about ten different rifles and still own four now
Bolt guns
-as stated, and 223 can be rebarreled
-HS Precision
-Cooper Firearms
-may find a used CZ
-Kimber
-Anschutz (my fav)
-Blaser R8
-Proof
-Howa
-price point include Ruger Savage and Mossberg
probably a few im missing
AR
-JP did a limited run
-Wilson Comat
-Rock River Varmint (funny I own a JP and a WC, and this gun will hang with both!)
again any AR or Mini 14 can be rebarreled
You will like the round though!
I just saw your $1K comment - so a rebarrel or Savage, CZ or find a clean Rem 700 and have a smith clean it up if it doesnt group