• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi-Auto 6.5 CM w/ $6K Budget

BigChungus

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2020
Good Afternoon SnipersHide community,

For my first post I wanted to reach out to the folks here and ask for assistance picking out my first semi-auto 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. I previously owned a semi .308 but sold it and, with the proceeds, I want to procure a semi-auto 6.5 CM rifle, optic, and ammo. This rifle will primarily be used suppressed w/ a Dead Air Sandman S and I want to keep the barrel length to a max of 20". Right now I'm considering the following options for the rifle:

1.) LMT 6.5 Long Range complete rifle (20" barrel)

2.) Piece together a LMT 6.5 rifle (MARS-H lower, MLK MWS upper receiver, BCG, CH, and 20" LMT barrel)

3.) Wait for the Sig MCX Spear

4.) Something else?

For those of you all who have experience using the LMT 6.5 Long Range, have you been satisfied with your purchase? I browsed the LMT 308 MWS thread and saw lots of positive feedback regarding the MWS system overall.

For the optic, I'm considering the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X based on my positive experience with the Razor Gen II 1-6X and Gen III 1-10X.

With a $6K budget in mind, am I on the right track or should I be considering other options regarding the rifle and optic? I currently own an Atlas bipod and Magpul SR25 magazines so I didn't consider that when configuring the budget.

Used market a gen 2 razor can be had for 1600, just do your homework on what you buy. Tell seller to put optic next to drivers license and send nudes through snapchat. What's making you wanna go semi over a bolt gun? I suck at shooting semis so I'm jaded towards large frame ARs

With that much pocket change I’d want turn-key: SR-25 or SCAR 20S. Don’t know if FNH knows how to make extrusions yet so YMMV there.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
The SR-25 6.5 Creed rifle has been absolutely phenomenal for me. I’ve got over 1,500 rounds through two uppers. Zero issues of any kind. Suppressed, unsuppressed, KAC mags, LaRue mags, Pmags, all sorts of factory ammo and a steady diet of my own 130 Berger Hybrids and Reloder 16, it eats everything and spits it out into 1/2moa groups. Consistently.
I’ve played with a few 6.5mm ARs, this is the best one yet.

With that budget I'd give the LWRC REPR Elite (Proof Carbon barrel) a serious look. Only negative is it has +2 more barrel then you want.

1593588306399.png

1593589213674.png

You definitely have room for a lot of options with that budget. JP, LMT, or Scar 20s (whenever FN releases it) is the way I would go.

@BigChungus I'd suggest a JP LRP-07. I run one of mine suppressed and all my LRP's are workhorses while still being super accurate and smooth. JP's standard barrels are 22" but if you absolutely HAVE to go 20" they will cut one down for you. The Vortex 4.5-27 is a solid choice as is the Leupold MK5. I'v run both and it's a toss up which you prefer.

C_1.jpg0_Cover3.jpg

My JP and all others I've seen or heard about shoot super accurately and smooth/soft. I'm looking at another one currently. Go to their build site and pick what you want and then talk to one of their guys and take their advice if they recommend a change. JMHO

For my first post I wanted to reach out to the folks here and ask for assistance picking out my first semi-auto 6.5 Creedmoor rifle. I previously owned a semi .308 but sold it and, with the proceeds, I want to procure a semi-auto 6.5 CM rifle, optic, and ammo. This rifle will primarily be used suppressed w/ a Dead Air Sandman S and I want to keep the barrel length to a max of 20". Right now I'm considering the following options for the rifle:

2.) Piece together a LMT 6.5 rifle (MARS-H lower, MLK MWS upper receiver, BCG, CH, and 20" LMT barrel)

4.) Something else?

For those of you all who have experience using the LMT 6.5 Long Range, have you been satisfied with your purchase? I browsed the LMT 308 MWS thread and saw lots of positive feedback regarding the MWS system overall.

For the optic, I'm considering the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X based on my positive experience with the Razor Gen II 1-6X and Gen III 1-10X.

With a $6K budget in mind, am I on the right track or should I be considering other options regarding the rifle and optic? I currently own an Atlas bipod and Magpul SR25 magazines so I didn't consider that when configuring the budget.

Well the first 2 choices are the essentially the same rifle. I have a 20 inch 6.5M for my MWS and I really like it.

While cool looking, I would not expect the spear to be available anytime soon. Word on the Streets in that their NGSAR(Mil Version of the Spear is horribly over gassed with the new 6.8 round. Will that be the case with 6.5CM. We probable won't know that answer for a couple years

As for something else, there are many good suggestions already mentioned and i think it all comes down to how you are going to use the rifle.

I really like being able to turn my MWS into a steel cased blaster by just dropping in a 13.5 CL barell in less than a minute.
I have an SR25 ACC as a GP 308 carbine.
JP makes an incredible round if you are going to use a single type of ammo. Their rifle can be tune to run perfectly
LWRC make nice piston guns so if that is your cup of tea, they should run fairly clean
if you are shooting for groups, its really hard to be a custom such a Gap with bartlein.

Reactions: BigChungus
Get the new JP LRI20/LRP-07 upper lower combo, you get all the features of the LRP-07 but with JPs newest large frame upper. Look it up, JP will never disappoint.

JP Rifles. Best of the best imo. But I have limited experience with the other rifles mentioned. I just know for a FACT that JP rifles are extremely accurate, and reliable, ive seen them outperform everything else during local gas gun matches, even in extremely dusty conditions. Mine ran smooth as silk, never gave me issues, and was as accurate as my bolt gun. I wish I didnt sell it, and now im saving up to buy another.

I’m with the Gap 10 crowd and the best scope you can get for what’s left. I got a used gen 1 gap 10. With my hand loads it is sub 1/2 MOA 3 shot groups. With whatever I grabbed, ie hornady cheapest I could find or stuff I had loaded for other guns, as I was making brass, it had a 30 3 shot group avg at .6 MOA.

The SR-25 6.5 Creed rifle has been absolutely phenomenal for me. I’ve got over 1,500 rounds through two uppers. Zero issues of any kind. Suppressed, unsuppressed, KAC mags, LaRue mags, Pmags, all sorts of factory ammo and a steady diet of my own 130 Berger Hybrids and Reloder 16, it eats everything and spits it out into 1/2moa groups. Consistently.
I’ve played with a few 6.5mm ARs, this is the best one yet.

And I can verify that!

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it. One of the main factors that drew me to the LMT MWS 6.5 is that, since 6.5 barrels are considered a consumable item, I found the quick change barrel system and reasonable cost ($500-$600) of a replacement 6.5 barrel very attractive.

I've previously owned a SCAR 17 and I'm not interested in the SCAR 20S 6.5 due to the limited support from FN for the platform, the voided warranty when using a suppressor, and the high cost of the barrel assemblies (using the existing 17S .308 as a reference point).

Regarding the JP rifle, are barrel changes easily accomplished at the end user level? How do the JP rifles run suppressed? @SuperSneakySniper @Darqusoull13 @craigos

I know this wasn't in my original list, but is the LaRue Tactical PredatOBR 18" 6.5 Creedmoor a solid rifle?

If I could put my 5 cents please look at Stag 10 with 24 inch barrel it shooting less than 1/2 inch group all day with factory ammo ( pictures to prove it)

4.) Something else?

Well within your budget and a Match winner, Sako TRG22 today around $3,000 or less. A genuine "TACK DRIVER"

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it. One of the main factors that drew me to the LMT MWS 6.5 is that, since 6.5 barrels are considered a consumable item, I found the quick change barrel system and reasonable cost ($500-$600) of a replacement 6.5 barrel very attractive.

I've previously owned a SCAR 17 and I'm not interested in the SCAR 20S 6.5 due to the limited support from FN for the platform, the voided warranty when using a suppressor, and the high cost of the barrel assemblies (using the existing 17S .308 as a reference point).

Regarding the JP rifle, are barrel changes easily accomplished at the end user level? How do the JP rifles run suppressed? @SuperSneakySniper @Darqusoull13 @craigos

JP barrel changes should be as easy as any other in theory. I never swapped barrels on mine. Just apply heat to the barrel extension when swapping out and it's like any other.
It runs suppressed just fine, everything on them is adjustable. One of the guys at my local match ran his JP suppressed with a short barrel and he was smoking fast.

4.) Something else?

Also I forgot to mention about the Stag 10 that they guarantee a barrel replacement if you shoot out the barrel.
1593686441536.jpeg

4.) Something else?

What is the application? How will you be using the system? Run 'n' gun; three gun; PRS; NRL competition; long range hunting; pack in hunting; long range steel ringing? What distances will you be shooting? Why a semi-auto over bolt action? Do you need the perceived higher rate of fire? Clearing structures; anticipating your position being over run? Probably not. Then, why a semi....other than just want. Good rationale if just because that semi is what you want....great reason. Just because "Frank said so" maybe not the best rationale depending upon your specific need. Whatever you decide on should meet your specific definition of what you need. Consider the military is moving away from the Barrett M107 .50BMG semi-auto because at long range, they have determined a competent shooter can fire, run the bolt, get back on target to spot impact by the time the impact occurs, make adjustment , and send next round as fast as the semi........without the big cartridge flying through the air giving away position, with much less weight, greater accuracy, and with much less mechanical problems. The Barrett MRAD MK22 bolt is to replace the semi-auto. Also note, the MK22 Deployment Kit includes the "lowly" Harris S bipod rather than an Atlas, or other.....because of less slack. Whatever rifle you buy, spend the most of your budget on top quality scope, with emphasis on precise tracking and repeatability. Glass is highly subjective to individual's eye and waaay less important to tracking/repeatability. Glass visual quality is highly dependent on coatings. Higher cost glass has better coating and tougher coatings that will withstand field use. Whatever, learn to maintain and protect the coatings. Razor is a great...but really heavy choice. I have bought NIB delivered for $1600...on line, free ship, no sales tax.....your governor isn't going to help you shoot, why pay him??? :) :) Bought two Leupold 5HD 7-35x56 for under $2100 each and got rebate of a Kestrel Hornady 4DOF with each. Don't underestimate the Sig Tango6 5-30x56......$1500-1650 delivered. I like the LevelPlex in scope anti-cant level feature. Soon available in Sierra6 BDX for pairing with their BDX rangefinders (free standing RF or as bino/RF combo) for hunting, ringing steel. If you do decide on the semi, you should really check out the Barrett REC10......quality, features, reliability, robustness, performance cannot be beat...~$2500 MSRP.

I'm looking into the same thing for next year- unless Biden bans them.

I'm leaning toward LMT for the same reasons: quality and ease of barrel change.

Ideally I'd get a KAC though.

I'm looking into the same thing for next year- unless Biden bans them.

I'm leaning toward LMT for the same reasons: quality and ease of barrel change.

Ideally I'd get a KAC though.

Check out LMT’s sr25 profile lower. KAC and LMT compatible, and you’ll be grandfathered in should Biden live long enough. I recently bought one myself.

I also dont doubt JP would replace the barrel for you if need be. But yeah i honestly cant vouch for how extensive the barrel removal process is for them.

You can get the barrel out 2 ways with a thermofit receiver. Either super heat the receiver around the extension or get a 1" wooden dowel and use that to hammer it out. You could probably use a combo of both if need.
The LRP-07 upper requires a shim to thermofit, the new LRI-20 upper which only works on the LRP-07 lower is a thermofit Receiver that doesnt require the shim. For future barrel swaps the LRI-20 would be easier.

LMT is the most end user friendly. Other than panic times, parts are easily sourced. It can be configured pretty much however you want. It’s a vetted system that isn’t going away any time soon. It isn’t perfect, but what system is? LMT, KAC, and FN are the sure bets for a semi auto 6.5 Creedmoor imho. I’d add HK to the list if 7.62 platforms were being considered. If you’re spending $6k, buy the best.

Sig AR’s = AIDS btw....

Last edited:
I put a 20" 6.5CM barrel on my LMT with a Nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 F1 and love it. The beauty of the LMT platform is the modularity. The rifle started it's life as 7.62x51/.308 Win, switching it to 6.5 required a barrel only. Same bolt, BCG, magazines, etc. I have SCAR 17S, I like it but as someone mentioned above support from FN is non-existent. As an aside, I needed to replace the bolt in my SCAR which took 2-1/2 years, yes years, to get a replacement. LMT has excellent Customer Service and their rifles are rock solid.

I put a 20" 6.5CM barrel on my LMT with a Nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 F1 and love it. The beauty of the LMT platform is the modularity. The rifle started it's life as 7.62x51/.308 Win, switching it to 6.5 required a barrel only. Same bolt, BCG, magazines, etc. I have SCAR 17S, I like it but as someone mentioned above support from FN is non-existent. As an aside, I needed to replace the bolt in my SCAR which took 2-1/2 years, yes years, to get a replacement. LMT has excellent Customer Service and their rifles are rock solid.

The platform support is what is most disappointing about the Scar. I really like FN as a company. I think they do great work, and I appreciate them making most of these projects available to the US commercial market. With that being said, The modularity that makes the Scar such an attractive weapon/platform is not supported from FN. Additionally The Scar has not undergone an changes since it was first released for commercial sales a decade ago.

It has the same short, railed, circa 2005 era handguards. It has the same stock assembly that long been criticized as not incredibly durable.

While it is nice to see that FN is looking to release a 6.5 option for Mk20, That option is not available as a caliber conversion for anybody that owns a Mk20 and that barrel is not compatible with the Mk17.

This is not modularity.

How after a decade is there not a factory option for a heavier, match type barrel for the 17?
If the Mk20 barrel design is inherently a better design, why has that not been implemented into a gen 2 Scar.
How have they not addressed the issues of the scar running suppressed.

Its all just disappointing. I mean, they released a 15lb semi auto M249 but the Scar is still living in 2005.

If one wants a light weight 16 inch gas gun that is very reliable but not exactly durable, and they have no plans to run electro optics or a suppressor, The Scar is an awesome weapon

I'd probably go LMT for a dedicated precision gas gun. You pay a weight penalty over the KAC, but the cost savings are pretty big and you gain a monolithic upper (no flex) and the ability to quick change barrels. LMT lowers are the same pattern as KAC so if down the road you want an extra upper your options are open.

For glass I'd go MK5 3.6-18 in a Badger C1 mount. Light weight, compact design, and an awesome mag range.

All that being said, if you don't already have a good bolt gun I'd start there. Large frame gas guns are significantly more difficult to shoot well consistently, and at long range you can typically cycle a bolt and let off another round as fast as you would with a semi. On the other hand, if you want one just to have one then definitely go for it 😀

Reactions: BigChungus

Barrel changes are super easy. There's a YouTube video up but it's a super basic modification to pulling the barrel and extension out of the upper. JP will of course help if you need it for anything but for those of us that have done the process I doubt most folks will need it.

My suppressed JP is a rock star. Ran around 400 rounds on 4 shooters in a match. Easy peasy. Still my favorite way to shoot 6.5 by far!

Reactions: deersniper