• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Semi-Auto

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
Seems there's a recent push toward Semi-Auto precision rifles. So, in terms of accuracy and velocity what are you compromising compared to a bolt gun. Mostly interested in 260 Rem.

Re: Semi-Auto

depends on the builder, I've heard of AR-10s from some builders getting under 1/4 MOA. You won't be able to keep the brass as nice, gas guns are hard on the brass. Everyone should have a Bolt gun, but not sure a Gas 260 would be a bad idea.

anyone make a piston driven semi in 260? Heck which makes me ask, are piston driven guns as accurate as gas?

I'm sure you could build one, I've never seen one though. That would be an awesome platform. I'm not sure there would be much change in the accuracy. Someone with more time behind a Piston rifle needs to add their 2 cents on it.

Doesn't DPMS make a .260? I could be wrong but I know they offer a variety of calibers for a mass-produced rifle.

As far as the "semis tough on brass", I would have to disagree a bit. I would say that it depends on the weapon. Yes, my G3 beats the hell out of the brass. The brass coming out of my M1A looks and reloads just as well as any out of my bolt guns. While that statement may be correct in some cases, I would say that it must be verified with each weapon being considered.

Ya I know DPMS makes a 260 but its gas op. I've heard bad things about their quality too. My dealer refuses to stock em.

In terms of accuracy and velocity loss, some, but very little. Gassers are less forgiving of small errors though. They are not really harder to drive, but they are more fussy about getting fundamentals perfect (they amplify mistakes).

Any 308 can be simply re-barreled into a 260. The only caveat is that the mags may limit your COAL. I am not sure if different manufacturers have different internal mag lengths or not.