• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns semi custom 1911 customer service

chaser_2332

Team copper creek
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2009
Campbellsville ky
there has been a few threads lately about different companys customer service with it comes to semi custom 1911's. Lets put it all out there. We all know they all put out a good gun but who backs it up the best? speaking of LB, Wilson, brown, nighthawk.....ect?

As it applies to semi-customs, brand loyalty will quickly devolve into a Coke vs. Pepsi discussion. All have their pros and cons, but ultimately the best pistol is one the manufacturer doesn't have to "back up". It simply works as designed and doesn't require service beyond spring replacements. As a lot of the employees switch between the builders (Wilson and Nighthawk, specifically), there becomes even less of a difference between some of these builders.

Personally, I've owned a Bear, Wilson, and EB - and all have shot above expectations. 1911's of this grade will all out-shoot me, so any difference in accuracy is negligible. The difference comes down to fit/finish, what model fits your needs, and nuances such as trigger break, slotted or checkered grips, price, and whether the rep that answers your phone is having a particularly bad day. Here's a couple of notes on the the 3 above brands, off the cuff:

Baer - extremely tight, to the point of bing difficult to rack on an initial attempt. The mainspring housing is slotted, which requires some may consider an unnecessary cost savings in a pistol of this price point. Bear isn't big on frills, and delivers his pistols is a plain cardboard box and coated in CLP. My pistol ate everything I fed it, and accuracy is what you'd expect.

Wilson - their compact models and finicky on ammo, and Wilson will admit as much if you call and ask them. I have had zero malfunctions in ammo they recommend. Their trigger is the best of the bunch, and has no noticeable creep. Wilson has the habit of sending you the pistol with everything but a personalized letter from the builder, and they are largely an assembly house. If anyone else knows of their present machining capabilities, please advise.

Brown - he CNC's everything but the trigger, grips, and sights. Personally, I have respect for someone willing to invest in the capital and the technical acumen it takes to run a machining center, and can control everything except raw material within his 4 walls. Fit and finish is what you'd expect from a shop that machines their own pistols, and they seem to be the only builder that markets their pistols with the ability to "spec out" a lot of the builds. This could boil down to perception on my part, as they used to offer a build-your-own pistol, that the customer could spec from the ground up. They now offer a more limited range of models, but their build sheets still leave room for customization. Ed has managed to piss of a lot of people on the internet, and I recall some jack-wagon blathering into a microphone shortly after SHOT 2013 about him being rude. All I can say is I called his shop back around 2002, and he answered the phone. I had a number of questions prepared, which he answered succinctly, and said he'd allow a tour of his facility as I planned to be in the area (I never made it).

One caveat: I haven't done serious research on these guys in about 10yrs so if someone comes in saying, "Dude, they stopped doing that shit 10yrs ago", just assume I'm wrong.

i have/ had several browns and baers in 1911 all flawless and excellent.

The only issue of service I have ever encountered with either one was a Baer M4 that I had feeding issues with and over wouldn't really funtion. I called and spoke to someone and relayed the problems. about an hour later Les called and we talked for about an hour. He asked all sorts of questions and then quickly decided I needed to return it to him to be corrected. the next 20-30 minutes were just general discussion about what I liked about the AR, his products other products etc. It was like a conversation with an old friend. I sent the rifle back and it turned out to be a series of issues. He replaced the entire upper portion BCG etc. and functional tested it with several hundered rounds before sending it back. Les called me to explain what he found and what he planned to do to correct it before he ever did anything. Then he called about 2 days later to say it was fixed and tested.

I got the gun back and ran several more thousands or rounds with no issues. That was an excellent example of service and I would ever hesitate to buy from LBC again.

Good luck Chase.

Seen this question a lot over the years on different forums and related to different guns and I constantly hear Springfield. Order a gun from their custom shop or have a problem even with a production gun and the service is widely considered the best in the industry. Google springfield customer service.

Last edited:
Wilson's service is absolutely superb. I sent mine back twice, once for an imagined problem and the second time for some changes I wanted. They addressed my imaginary problem and made the changes I requested and were total gentlemen about it all. I also have a Baer, but I've never sent it back so I can't speak to the CS aspect.

+1 for Baer service. Never had an issue with any of my 6 Baer. I have a brown kobra carry lightweight great gun for it's purpose. It does need to cleaned more often the any of my baers and the finish is very weak. Have carried for 6 months and looks more like a Baer I have carried for 6 years.

Baer is my pick unless you need/want some options/customization then you need to go with Wilson or nighthawk

My Nighthawk GRP Recon had an issue with the slide stop notch peening, and when I called NHC, they told me that they had one batch of slides from the manufacturer that
were not properly heat treated. I returned the gun and got it back quickly with the problem solved. No other issues since then.
I had no issues at all with NHC when I ordered the gun. They built it just the way I wanted, and got it to me within the time they promised.

I had a Colt LW Commander customized at Novak's, and I was very impressed with the service and the turnaround time. I would not have any hesitation about having anything done by either NHC or Novak's.

Our guns and every part in them are warrantied for life. Soon, everything but the slide, bbl, springs, and pins will be made in house on our cnc machines. We use parts from other vendors now but we believe in the quality of those parts and don't use junk. then again, we build full on custom guns, not semi customs.

The only one I've had experience with is Nighthawk Custom. A friend and I made a deal that if he bought a pistol the shop had in the case that was perfect for him, I would order one for myself that way he didn't feel so bad about spending the money. I ordered exactly what I wanted and was told 3 months surprisingly. Ok not bad at all considering all the custom work. Three months goes by and not a word from them. Not to my dealer or me. I'm not new to the custom game or NFA, so I wasn't too worried. I called the dealer a few times, they said they didn't know what was going on. I got tired of dealing with a middle man so I called NHC directly. Talked to a good guy although he just got his job and was still learning the ropes. I gave my name, gun shop I ordered from, date it was ordered and specs I ordered. I never mentioned the time I was quoted because I honestly didn't expect them to hold to that. His response...are you sure this is right because there is no order resembling this or anything from the shop or your name! After a few phone calls they got it straightened out. Come to find out they have salesmen out that deal with individual gun shops and place the orders with nighthawk directly. That guy never sent the order in. Ok, kinda mad but not super pissed since they again quote 3 months for the new order direct from the office. Three more months, nothing shows nothing said. I call again a few times and finally get an answer from the guy. The vender that does their diamond black, I think Scottsdale gun club, has been delivering unsatisfactory work back to nighthawk. My slide has been sent back to be re coated. Called again after a month to check on things, it has not even come back yet. Next month of no calls from them, I call and it has come back and went back out to be recreated again. Still wasn't right. I ask for an honest explanation and he tells me that they have had issues with them and on top of it they won't coat anything until they get 50 to do so every time mine isn't right they have to wait for 49 more to go with it before they will re coat it. Long story short, it took a year total before I actually had the pistol in my hands plus a lot of phone calls and headache on my part. To top it all off...my pistol was shipped with one government mag and one commander mag. For a government gun. I know the first issue wasn't their fault entirely, I also know when you have third party vendors involved some things are out of your control. Yes, it all kinda irritated me but what really made it bad in my opinion is that there was no communication unless I called and felt like I was being a pest. To top it all off when it got to me they couldn't even get the mags right much less give me am extra or something for all the grief. When I ordered I fully expected to wait a year for a full custom 1911 but was quoted three months three times. The pistol was perfect when it came except for the mags at least. After it was all said and done I traded it for a HK combat competition and a stainless USP 45. Yes, traded it away. I was unhappy with it all to the point I didn't even want it anymore. According to them supposedly it is the last one they ever do with diamond black coating. Don't know how true it is, but they said it. If I ever do it again it will be one that is in stock somewhere or I will go to Wilson to order.

I hear very good things about your weapons and the warranty is as good as it could get.

Nice job

Our guns and every part in them are warrantied for life. Soon, everything but the slide, bbl, springs, and pins will be made in house on our cnc machines. We use parts from other vendors now but we believe in the quality of those parts and don't use junk. then again, we build full on custom guns, not semi customs.

When I called Les Baer for info, Les got on the phone and spoke to me personally. Pretty good customer service.