• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Semi-Custom 1911 Reliability

Jeremy45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Odessa, TX
I am wondering which of the semi-custom 1911 manufacturers tends to be the most reliable? I am looking for first hand accounts and round counts if possible. I would like to know average rounds per malfunction and if you have experienced any parts breakage.

Like I said, first hand accounts only and no bashing of one mfg or the other just facts as you have them.

Thanks,
Jeremy45

Re: Semi-Custom 1911 Reliability

jeremy you should have no problems at all with any of the semi-customs. if you do send it back. I know wilson and nighthawk will fix any problem you have pretty much for life of the gun. i know a few people with 20k plus rounds through those two makers with no problems really other then magazine related malfunctions.

Facts - Wilson CQB 5", issues with nearly every mag inserted (various brands, rounds inserted, ammo type...etc all tried prior to calling). Tried to trouble shoot with Wilson and was ignored. Never once did they offer to take care of the issue. Round count was less than 2k. Not enjoyable when you feel like the PITA.

This was supposedly during the Nighthawk buildup/exodus or whatever was their malfunction in Mid 2000's.

Dan Wesson CBOB early version with Ext. extractor - eats everything and nearly any mag manuf. few thousand thru it I suppose

Springfield TRP and Loaded's- well respected with nary an issue from those that I know. And if so, SprCstmShop is one of the best as you'll read.

My les baer was to tight and jammed all the time. VERY accurate pistol just way to tight to work reliably

One Kimber Custom Classic, Klackamass: had thousands of rounds through it, and had a .38 super slide stop in it which I didnt know. After replacing that and the extractor, FP spring, recoil spring was 100% for a few hundred rounds until I sold it.

One early Kimber Compact Stainless: had 1k or less when I got it. Needed extractor, recoil spring, FP spring, 100% for a few hundred until I sold it.

One Kimber Compact Custom: very early nearly brand new when I found it. Has been 100% for around 500 rounds, but I'm trying to keep this one purty as a keepsake/heirloom.

One Kimber Ultra Raptor II: bought new, ran 250 through on first outing. 100% accept for 4 mags with looser springs. The 3" 1911's need awesome mag springs. No problem cause Tripp sells them. This is my wifes carry, and I need to put more through this one soon.....

If you know your way around the slide & parts, any 1911 can run true. Use Wilson bulletproof parts, wolf recoil springs and change them on time, and use tripp mags/mag parts when possible. That's the big secret. Now turn any beater into a reliable pistol.

Have a S&W 1911 that ate everything I threw at it. No problem, kimber has about 2500 rounds no problem reloads. Ed brown, DW cbob and volkmann combat all about 1000 rounds, no problem ( but I have not tried reloads in these)

Thanks for all the info so far guys, I am definitely interested in compiling more data.

Aloreman, did you ever get that Baer to run or did you get rid of it?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Les Baer TRS with 10k rounds. Zero failures. Not one.

Wilson Professional, aluminum frame, 4". Exactly one failure which was due to some powder puff loads that wouldn't cycle the slide. 1,500 rounds.

Wilson Combat Classic - 30K ish rounds.

Nighthawk Dominator - 20K ish rounds.

Baer Concept V - 7K ish rounds.

About 95 percent cast loads. Tensioned the extractors on the NH amd WC at about 12K - 15K. No reliability issues.

Regarding the tightness of Baers: My Baer was so tight out of the box, I was expecting FTRTB issues...not a single hiccup.

sold it for a kimber eclipse. Had it to garthwaite and he said it was to tight. I didnt have the patience to run enough ammo thru it to make it work right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sold it for a kimber eclipse. Had it to garthwaite and he said it was to tight. I didnt have the patience to run enough ammo thru it to make it work right. </div></div>

I understand not having the patience, my first 1911 that had custom work done to it had a few hiccups and I sold it due to impatience. That is one of the few sales I regret to this day.

As for everything else, looks like LB, Wilson and Nighthawk all turn out some guns that will run for a long time. I'm strongly considering picking up a Baer, adding a Chen magwell suit and shooting the daylights out of it.

Thanks for the info so far,
Jeremy45

Im with Tim. My LB/TRS seemed too tight when i first got it but i put about 1k out of it before cleaning it. No issues during that first thousand rounds or anytime after. Most accurate pistol i have EVER had

Only springfield I had a problem with was a stainless ultra compact it ran like a top but the notch on slide for stop rounded out quickly.

High round count Baers seem to be popular, this is very encouraging.

I carry a 1911 everday for work and have for the last 25 years. I currently carry a Les Baer Concept VI which has served me well for the last 10 years. I have another Les Baer TRS which I carried for a year and it is also extremely reliable.

I proudly recommend a Les Baer to anyone needing a high quality 1911.

Had my Nighthawk Vickers model for about 3 weeks now. About 500 rounds through it without a problem and about a hundred were in a light mist while running steel. One stovepipe due to a crappy ACT mag with a cracked baseplate.
Part of me wishes i had picked up a new LB or used EB bobtail but how can i complain about a double digit serial numbered pistol. I need something a little lower in the price gap that i dont mind running harder. Carrying a pistol worth more than my first car still gives me chills!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Les Baer TRS with 10k rounds. Zero failures. Not one.

</div></div>

Les Baer TRS with 5k rounds. Same experience. It is the best gun I have ever owned.

Still looking like Les Baer's are the best bang for the buck. Everything so far seems to be positive but the Baer's seem to do exceptionally well for their price point!

LB makes a good gun and definitely a good value. Durable and definitely more accurate than most shooters. The only negatives I've experienced are the thin finishes and customer service. The finish wear didn't bother me so much since I'm not focused on pretty guns but Les definitely isn't known for excellent customer service. My cracked bushing @@ 220 rounds took a couple of follow up calls to fix as well as me paying for shippting. LB mags are also hit and miss. They work for lots of folks but I had to replace the follower to get it to lock back consistently. If you hit one of the 1911 forums you will probably see that my experiences are not uncommon.

I've never seen a Les Baer get through a match without jamming. They are too tight for serious use.

I don't claim to have a huge sample, but I have staffed 3 matches with over 250 shooters in the last few years alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen a Les Baer get through a match without jamming. They are too tight for serious use.

I don't claim to have a huge sample, but I have staffed 3 matches with over 250 shooters in the last few years alone. </div></div>

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this broad statement. As a Les Baer owner (TRS, Monolith HW, Premier II) for the last 11 years, I have attended numerous classes with my Baers, with round counts of 400-600 rounds each (and often 100% frangible-very dirty) and never had the gun choke. I don't discount your observations, but my experience is that my Baers will run very dirty just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen a Les Baer get through a match without jamming. They are too tight for serious use.

I don't claim to have a huge sample, but I have staffed 3 matches with over 250 shooters in the last few years alone. </div></div>

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this broad statement. As a Les Baer owner (TRS, Monolith HW, Premier II) for the last 11 years, I have attended numerous classes with my Baers, with round counts of 400-600 rounds each (and often 100% frangible-very dirty) and never had the gun choke. I don't discount your observations, but my experience is that my Baers will run very dirty just fine. </div></div>

Because Baers come out of the box so tight some probably need a a few more rounds through them before they are reliable. Where my Kimbers, SAs, and customs are generally smoothed out by 500 rounds or so my Stinger took about a 1k before it stopped having issues. I've talked to a few other owners that needed as many as 1500 before their issues went away so I can see the potential for reliability issues with low round count guns in matches. Haven't heard of many reliability issues after a couple thousand rounds have gone through them.

Pesonally I can't believe anyone bashing a Baer, I've owned three, Premier II, Concept 6, and Custom Carry, which I just sold on here for $1500.00, a steal.
My first, the Premier was so tight, it took over 1/2 hour to get the slide back, never hiccuped once, niether did the others. And I ran some shitty handloads through them, one's that vapor locked Kimber's, Colt's, etc..
I have a Brown, considerably more coin, nicest handgun I've owned, locked up on PMC 230gr RN, wasn't crimped enough though. Jury's still out on this one, but it will pass.
There's more expensive, but for the cash, I'd take the Baer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never seen a Les Baer get through a match without jamming. They are too tight for serious use.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this broad statement. As a Les Baer owner (TRS, Monolith HW, Premier II) for the last 11 years, I have attended numerous classes with my Baers, with round counts of 400-600 rounds each (and often 100% frangible-very dirty) and never had the gun choke. I don't discount your observations, but my experience is that my Baers will run very dirty just fine. </div></div>

Every time I see one of these threads somewhere, I'm glad to see that there are people who defend his product and people who assert, whether true or not, that there are guns from him that actually run.

I have never seen one in real life, and I'm sharing my experience with them. In fact, I can't think of a single maker of 1911s that I've seen such a consistent lack of reliability from.

Perhaps all of their owners are jackasses and don't know how to clean or lube their guns. Maybe they run dirty but just not as dirty as the people think. Or perhaps it's because I shoot a discipline where we drop our mags on the ground on every stage and if they're not perfectly clean, guns tend to jam.

I must have had five jams on a single stage this year at a major tournament when I got lax about keeping my magazines clean. I'm not saying that my guns run great and yours don't. All I'm saying is that I've never seen a Les Baer make it though a match without a hickup. Never. Not a single one.

My sample size isn't that big, as I stated, because it's fairly infrequent that I see one. But if what I've seen is any indication of the reliability of his guns, I'd buy myself a sloppy and rattling Colt before I'd deal with that crap.

I carry a Baer SRP every day for one reason - it runs more reliably than any other pistol I've owned.

In the past, I owned two Wilsons, a Stealth and a Tactical Elite. The Stealth was wonderful, the Tac Elite was a real headache. Despite two trips back to Wilson, it never was reliable.

Glock 19's are sitting in the safe now unused. My Sigs - 226, 229, and 239's - and Wilson Combats were sold off long ago.

Wilson Elite Tactical 8 round magazines have proven the most reliable.

All springs are changed every 1,000 - 1,200 rounds, and the SRP is lubed with Lucas Red 'n Tacky, or in very cold weather, Wilson's Ultima Lube.

Definitely would recommend Baer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure why your club matches seem to have such a problem, but when others report good success, rather than rudely dismissing them, perhaps it would be wise to consider their experience and figure out why your results differ so starkly from theirs.
</div></div>

Once again, not just my club. In the last 4 years alone, I have shot matches in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and New Jersey (may be forgetting some beyond that).

5,000 rounds without a single stoppage is impressive, but that is not a high round count. It's also a good thing that you keep your springs fresh, but 1200 rounds on a set of springs is excessive (springs are cheap, but they don't need to be replaced that often, especially the mainspring).

I am very surprised to hear that your gun won't run with the Tripp mags, either, because I have had great luck with Wilson, CMC, and Tripp mags, but I prefer the Tripps to the Wilsons (but only slightly, and I would gladly run either if they were free).

If I had to pick a semi-custom, I would probably want a Wilson. All the Wilsons I've seen run good.

For the record, I've never seen a sloppy Baer. They are nice and tight, and I really like a well-fit gun. The ones I've seen have just been too tight. The one that comes to mind most readily from the summer of 2011 was so tight that it wouldn't run 100% with full power, 850 FPS ball, and it would only chamber a round when it was sling shotted, not from the slide stop. Owner claimed it had 2000 rounds on it.

I change the springs early because it is my EDC.

I was taught always to sling shot, so cannot comment on the use of the slide stop.

As mentioned, the Baer replaced some Wilsons.

I am very satisfied with Baer.