• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

semi vs bolt

s002wjh

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2013
ohio
hello new here.
just curious why people keep saying bolt action is more accurate than semi-auto? i've seen people so sub-moa with a nice semi, such as larue 7.61

That's nice......keep reading, and welcome.

On average, they are. Before there were ARs with quality barrels, most semi-autos were usually 3 MOA guns or worse. Modern manufacturing techniques have made it so people can expect an AR to be a 1 MOA rifle, often better. However, at longer distances you need larger calibers, which are usually not available in a semi-auto.

Scroll down a bit and you'll see people shooting 1" groups at 300m and beyond with their bolt-actions.

A lot of the "inaccuracies" of the modern semi is that a lot of people don't know how to properly shoot one as compared to a bolt gun. A bolt gun has one pulse during recoil whereas a semi has two pulses, one backwards and one forwards. The majority of the time, this double recoil is what throws people off a bit.

Not to mention a very long lock time on a semi. I think many people here would be quite disappointed with barely-sub-MOA bolt guns, especially with customs. Sub-half-MOA is where bolt guns get really interesting. And I'm talking about consistent 5-shot groups, not a cherry picked 3-shot group.

When I started shooting tactical matches many years ago, I was one of the few running a gas gun which was a GAP 308, very accurate when I did my part. Trigger control and follow thru are the two biggest things you need to focus on behind a gas gun to keep it shooting straight. What I found was there were so many things to focus on learning about such as trajectory and reading the wind, not to mention the stress of competition, the gas gun was not the best choice for my skill level at the time. Soon after realizing this, I switched to a custom bolt gun, my results improved as well as my learning curve. I wouldnt say you can be lazy behind a bolt gun, but they are more forgiving and seem to be effected less by minor changes in shooter input.

Now that I have learned a fair amount about the sport (still learning every day), I can do much better with a gas gun and make fewer mistakes. I still pick the bolt gun over the gasser for matches, but there always seem to be a few stages were the semi dominates.

BTW, welcome to the Hide

Kirk R

Welcome aboard! Basically: when you add more moving parts than needed for launch the greater chance for error/inaccuracy. KISS principal applies. You may get lucky where all the compounding errors cancel each other out or unlucky where they add up and make a large MOA shooter. I have yet to see any repeater shoot worth a crap at 1000yds; I do learn new things every day though.