• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sendero, Police or 5R

tanda10506

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Phelan, CA
I was talking to some other people about this also and wanted to get your guys opinion.I had been thinking of getting a Savage action and having a barrel made for that action in .300WM, mainly because I really want a .300WM but can't find a good rifle with a heavy barrel for a reasonable price. But I've recently seen that Remington makes the Sendero, 5R, and 700P in .300. Which do you think would be the best for long distance target shooting, 1000+ yards? Also does anyone have any personal experience with the Remington XCR Tactical Long range in .300WM? I have a Remington 700 SPS-V in .308, so I kind of prefer Remington's. Thanks

Re: Sendero, Police or 5R

Any of those remingtons are good.

I have a 700P and I think its great.

I would love to get a Sendero in stainless. I think they are a great foundation for a good long range rifle.

If you must go factory Rem, go 5R.

However- what do you consider a reasonable price?

Reason I ask is Savage has a few .300WM offerings that are no more expensive than a Remington and offer a lot more versatility later on.

You already considered the Savage action and I know for a fact that you can get custom barrels that are pre-fit to savage both large and small shank actions in that caliber ( and most others).

Check out Jim Briggs'Northland shooting supply and his current items in stock over on the savage shooters forums.

If he doesn't have it listed give him a call.

You could do this rather inexpensively compared to a Rem and end up with a higher quality barrel with the ability to switch it out as you please.

However, as you may or may not be aware- California will be disallowing the purchase of ammo online in February I believe. So you might want to stock up on ammo before the Cali dealers start capitalizing on their monopoly for ammo.

Post a WTB on Cal Guns for the Savage action and everything else can be ordered right to your door.

In the 10 days you wait to pick up the action, you could have most if probably not all components shipped to your door so that you could put it together immediately to your specs.

Wouldn't there be "gunsmithing" involved in that though? I don't know what it takes to put together a bolt action rifle with a used action and a new barrel.

Also, the ban on online ordering in California applies to handgun ammo. I'm sure a lot of the companies online will stop shipping all ammo to California, but I've spoke with 2 that will still be shipping rifle ammo to California.

I would say the 5R, however, you will probably do some mods to whichever one you choose and any of the three you mentioned would be a good starting place.

I would agree...go with 5R based on consistent good reviews.

"P" gets extra attention during assembly, I own a 5R and 700P LTR
The LTR is a little more accurate not to mention lighter and has a good finish on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tanda10506</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was talking to some other people about this also and wanted to get your guys opinion.I had been thinking of getting a Savage action and having a barrel made for that action in .300WM, mainly because I really want a .300WM but can't find a good rifle with a heavy barrel for a reasonable price. But I've recently seen that Remington makes the Sendero, 5R, and 700P in .300. Which do you think would be the best for long distance target shooting, 1000+ yards? Also does anyone have any personal experience with the Remington XCR Tactical Long range in .300WM? I have a Remington 700 SPS-V in .308, so I kind of prefer Remington's. Thanks </div></div>

I have a R5 and I love it,. the stainless is nice too. the barrel wipes clean pretty easy as well. i dont think you would go wrong with either of the three. no idea about the XCR though.

hope it helps.

Sounds like it's between the 5R or the 700P then, with the edge going to the 5R. Let me ask this then, what do you guys think of the 5R or the 700P vs a Savage action in a B&C A2 stock with a custom barrel, put together by me(as long as it's simple to put together lol)?

If you can afford the 5r milspec then I recommend you get that one. Barrel is 24" ,not too long ,action is stainless a lot smoother cycling than the police model.5r barrel seems to clean up much faster from what I've experienced.I don't recommend the Sendero ,I've owned two stainless fluted models that did not shoot factory ammo accurately. My first bolt gun was a police model and it was a very accurate rifle ,only complaint was the length of barrel.Main thing here is to get the one you really want and shoot it often.good luck.
Though this was about 308 caliber ,disregard barrel length complaint.

my 5R is a 26 inch barrel with a 1:10 twist,. but i got it about a year ago so maybe they have changed them.

to the OP i think both would shoot fine,. the 5R could be more accurate of the two,. but the P would be cheaper. i dont think you can go wrong with either.

dont over look the Sendero either if you find one at a good price,. they are a step up from the 5R in finished quality,. but the only real diffrence is barrel. the Sendero is fluted,. 5R is not,. both are 1:10 twist and 26 inches long. i think the stocks are the same too.

The 5R Milspec .308 actually has a 24" barrel and 1:11.25 twist. I picked one up 8 months ago when looking for a LTR or XCR compact tactical. No regrets. The are now offering the 5R barrel on other models but, not quite the same gun.

Out of the 3 listed, I'd take the 5R every time. The Police models I've seen had much more play in the bolt and the Sendero's are quite a bit more money. Not sure it's worth it.

I did look at the savage line. They have a good following as well.

Paul

Personally I prefer the Sendero if you're not going to be switching out parts. If you plan to heavily mod get the 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcschwenke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5R Milspec .308 actually has a 24" barrel and 1:11.25 twist. I picked one up 8 months ago when looking for a LTR or XCR compact tactical. No regrets. The are now offering the 5R barrel on other models but, not quite the same gun.

Out of the 3 listed, I'd take the 5R every time. The Police models I've seen had much more play in the bolt and the Sendero's are quite a bit more money. Not sure it's worth it.

I did look at the savage line. They have a good following as well.

Paul </div></div>

OP was talking about 300WM, not 308

I would go with 5R too if you don't plan on doing a lot of mods on it soon.

I own a 700P and I have owned a 300 WM Sendero. For accuracy, I cannot tell the difference. The trigger looks to be an xmark pro on the R5, which is tits, but adjusting normal Remington trigger is not hard, just tedious. For cleaning, the ones I listed above have all cleaned up fast and were broken in with minimal fouling after 40 round. I think you will be happy with any of the three.

I like features on all three. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I have owned several Senderos in 300WM. All shot well but I don't like the stocks as much as the stock on the 700P. I like the barrel action on the 5R, but again don't like the stock as much. The 5R also needs something to go over the stainless steel finish. I think they all shoot about the same, you just have to figure out what features you like best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like features on all three. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I have owned several Senderos in 300WM. All shot well but I don't like the stocks as much as the stock on the 700P. I like the barrel action on the 5R, but again don't like the stock as much. The 5R also needs something to go over the stainless steel finish. I think they all shoot about the same, you just have to figure out what features you like best. </div></div>

I was wondering what the barrel life would be on the Sendero 300WM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The 5R also needs something to go over the stainless steel finish. </div></div>

any ideas? i like the stainless on the rifle,.. i just dont like being able to see my rifle from the 1K line while i'm hanging targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruzie27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The 5R also needs something to go over the stainless steel finish. </div></div>

any ideas? i like the stainless on the rifle,.. i just dont like being able to see my rifle from the 1K line while i'm hanging targets.</div></div>

Some like the silver finish,but if you don't there is a long list of options such as,Krylon,Duracoke,Cerakote,Teflon,nitride, or bead blasting just to name a few.

All are good. I have a 5R barrel made by Rem on my SR25 match rifle and it shoots well. If it were me, I would go for the 5R.
For the finish, you could spray bomb it with Rustolium,cheap and will do the job

IMG_2536.jpg

5-R all the way!! Heres mine! It loves 190's and 208's!