• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sendero sf ii accuracy?

Tommy1984

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2019
Thinking about a long range (out to 1000 yards) rifle and am wondering if a out of box Sendero shoots sub moa on a factory load? If not I’m open to recommendations.

Wouldn’t really want a rifle that needed an Accurizing job as I only have one gun Smith in driving distance and he’s book up for months and months.

Reactions: Saracen
They are supposed to be the most accurate off the shelf rifle they offer, so they should be able to hold a moa or better but I've heard some horrible stories about the new stuff from Remington recently. As far as shooting 1000 yards the listed calibers should do that like it's nothing.

Now what's the budget you want to stick to with your rifle, if you want to spend up to 2k there are a ton of options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy1984
For a $1000 + you could do far better than a Rem Sendero without playing the will I get a good one game.
Remington 700 rifles can be exceptionally accurate but it's been my experience as soon as you buy one you start removing and upgrading parts.
So your in it for $1000-1100 to start with then you get a good adjustable trigger that is actually repeatable there's another $200-350 depending on your taste in triggers.
You live with the stock for a while before deciding you need something that fits you better and is adjustable that's more money added.
The Rem doesn't come with a quality rail or one at all that's another purchase, and so on and so on.
Starting from scratch and building something the way you want from the start you will be money ahead.
Look at some of the actions being offered that allow you to do it yourself like a Bighorn origin or Kelbly Atlas and a few others and decide if the Remington is really much of a difference once you've upgraded everything on it and bought what you need.

For a $1000 + you could do far better than a Rem Sendero without playing the will I get a good one game.
Remington 700 rifles can be exceptionally accurate but it's been my experience as soon as you buy one you start removing and upgrading parts.
So your in it for $1000-1100 to start with then you get a good adjustable trigger that is actually repeatable there's another $200-350 depending on your taste in triggers.
You live with the stock for a while before deciding you need something that fits you better and is adjustable that's more money added.
The Rem doesn't come with a quality rail or one at all that's another purchase, and so on and so on.
Starting from scratch and building something the way you want from the start you will be money ahead.
Look at some of the actions being offered that allow you to do it yourself like a Bighorn origin or Kelbly Atlas and a few others and decide if the Remington is really much of a difference once you've upgraded everything on it and bought what you need.
This.

Good afternoon,

I have an old Sendero in 7mmRM, pre-SF, I picked up used in the late 90's for $500 that shoots very well with hand loads. Only work I had done was barrel threading and dura-coat. I'd say if you could find a nice used one it may save you some lettuce over a custom or semi-custom and you could go bonkers on nice glass with what you save. BTW, mine is NOT for sale. Images show the last two 5 shot groups after mounting new LRHSi.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Attachments

• shot_1555894645453.jpg
    shot_1555894645453.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 230
  • shot_1555895078636.jpg
    shot_1555895078636.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20180810_193935690.jpg
    IMG_20180810_193935690.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 200
I would second the Bergara. All the upside of being Rem700 compatible without the actual Remington issues. I've got the Sendero and even with handholds its just mediocre in accuracy. The Bergara is like an upgraded Rem without going full custom.

My buddy and I purchased a pair of Remington 300 win mags Sender sf2 about 10 years ago together with ser no’s 4 from each other.
They both shoot 3/4 inch at 100 and we routinely shoot 1k at Quantico. They have really long throats. They love 190 nosler and Berger bullets. We love them.
That being said if only punching paper, get a 6.5 flavored something

I would second the Bergara. All the upside of being Rem700 compatible without the actual Remington issues. I've got the Sendero and even with handholds its just mediocre in accuracy. The Bergara is like an upgraded Rem without going full custom.

I was just looking at the Bergara highlander, there is no mention of them having a free floated barrel or being bedded, but other than that it seems to be a solid rifle.

If what you're after is an off the shelf rifle that will shoot factory ammo sub MOA without having to modify the rifle than you're looking at the wrong rifle. Don't get me wrong, a Remington can be very very good but also horribly bad. Grab a Tikka or a Howa, throw a scope on it, and call it a day!

As others have said, rumor has it that current QC by Remington is in the toilet. That being said, I have had several older VSSF's, currently have a .308 and 7mm RM that shoot very well for a factory rifle. If you are going to drop that amount of scratch, look at the semi-custom offerings, or pick up one that someone has grown tired of that has been trued, rebarreled, aftermarket trigger...etc. Good Luck.

Reactions: XLR308
Thinking about a long range (out to 1000 yards) rifle and am wondering if a out of box Sendero shoots sub moa on a factory load? If not I’m open to recommendations.

Wouldn’t really want a rifle that needed an Accurizing job as I only have one gun Smith in driving distance and he’s book up for months and months.
It should do with ease. Even with factory ammo, 0.5 MOA groups wouldn't be a surprise.

You don't need a magnum to shoot 1K, 6, 6.5 get there no problem and they're easier and cheaper to shoot. Heck my .223 takes less elevation than my .308 at 1K. Like others have said, I'd look elsewhere, I know it gets old on here for some but it's hard to beat a Tikka for quality and cost.