• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sending a postal money order or personal check ?

Birddog67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
TX
Is it better to send a personal check or a money order ? To get your tax stamp ? Just wondering getting ready this week to send in my paper work . Please advise what's better , thanks

I always send a personal check so I know when it's cashed via online banking.

My 0.02 is MO is cash in hand. A check has to clear first (7 - 10 days). That seems to be the golden rule for most business I would assume the same for the ATF. Let someone else say first hand though.

Update: You can check to see if a MO has clear also but a small fee @ hand.

My 0.02 is MO is cash in hand. A check has to clear first (7 - 10 days). That seems to be the golden rule for most business I would assume the same for the ATF. Let someone else say first hand though.

Update: You can check to see if a MO has clear also but a small fee @ hand.

Once the personal check is deposited the forms are sent to the NFA Branch, if it does not clear then it shows as an error and you get a letter down the road.

They don't wait for it to clear before they start your forms.

I've used personal checks every time. That way I could check my bank and have a record of when it was cashed.

Since the forms are sent to a contract bank for cashing the checks will clear or be denied in record time. I always recommend to customers that they use a personal or business check that they can keep track of. On the other hand if you don't know whether your check will clear or not than don't send a check. Some money orders can be tracked but they have just as bad a record of clearing as checks do. My bank will not accept postal money orders for deposits due to scams and other difficulty.
In short you can do either way as you see fit. Your checks clearance time will have no real effect on the time your paperwork takes to get to NFA branch in West Virgina. I've seen my personal checks clear in less than 2 days from the time of mailing. The longest I've seen is 4 days. Customers have said the same.
Normally mailing time is the big holdup and with the time it takes now it won't matter if a day or two longer is added from the mail system. If you can get a trackable money order than great, if not use a check so you can see when it was cashed. This gives you some idea of the timeline for your transfer. Without that info its anyones guess......though its pretty much anyones guess anyway.

Last thing here.....you are not buying a stamp with this check. You are paying a tax for a transfer. Its true the stamp is evidence of the paid tax but the stamp isn't what you're paying for. The stamp isn't really what this is all about and you can have approved forms that have no stamp yet they are still legal. I've seen quite a few form 1's and 4's with no stamps. It sounds a bit silly to talk about buying a stamp when it has so little to do with the whole process.

Just my opinion based on about 30 years of playing with machineguns and 13 years in the business.

Frank

Last edited:
I always send a check. That makes easy to know they got the application and cashed your check. With a USPS MO you'd have to call and find out...

I always send a personal check so I know when it's cashed via online banking.

Same here and it also give you a history just in case you need to go back to it. Beside, MO cost additional $$ as well.