• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sending Troops care pkgs. for the holidays????

tomme boy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2007
Iowa 52732
I want to send some stuff to some troops for the holidays. I would like some suggestions on what they might need or want. And what would the best way to ship? Most likely for the boys in AFganistan.

Re: Sending Troops care pkgs. for the holidays????

I'm currently deployed, and I can honestly say that care packages from folks back in the states mena alot to the servicemen (and women) that are away from home. I hate to suggest that you send junk food, but in the end some rice crispy treats and M&M's are a big hit. Please do not send more white tube socks. That may sound strange, but for some reason we get about 10 pairs of white tube socks a week that I can do absolutely nothing with. Travel size shampoo, toothpaste, disposable razors, shaving cream, toiletries in general are good. Small packs of babywipes and hand sanitizer will definately get used. Other than that, whatever is in your buget. Once in Iraq we got a huge box of Shure headphones, it was completely random, but holy cow was everyone psyched! I would also suggest a few pounds of decent coffee, maybe even some of the starbucks VIA instant coffee packets. Magazones, popular scince, popular mechanics, Maxim, Guns&ammo etc that are less than 6 months old are very welcome. I suppose the overall theme would be food that only requires boling water or is ready to eat. We get alot of canned soup, which we cant really do alot with aside from putting it the white tube socks and hit each other, so I'd refrain from that. Little packets of trail mix and granola bars are usually pretty awesome too.

In the end, it's really the thought that counts. even if you are just cleaning out you rpantry and decide to send it over, some soldier somewhere will eat it or trade it.

Thanks for supporting the troops!

+1 on this. When I was over there, I really enjoyed dried fruit and mixed nuts, too (they can be taken on missions and will rarely spoil).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chittnp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm currently deployed, and I can honestly say that care packages from folks back in the states mena alot to the servicemen (and women) that are away from home. I hate to suggest that you send junk food, but in the end some rice crispy treats and M&M's are a big hit. Please do not send more white tube socks. That may sound strange, but for some reason we get about 10 pairs of white tube socks a week that I can do absolutely nothing with. Travel size shampoo, toothpaste, disposable razors, shaving cream, toiletries in general are good. Small packs of babywipes and hand sanitizer will definately get used. Other than that, whatever is in your buget. Once in Iraq we got a huge box of Shure headphones, it was completely random, but holy cow was everyone psyched! I would also suggest a few pounds of decent coffee, maybe even some of the starbucks VIA instant coffee packets. Magazones, popular scince, popular mechanics, Maxim, Guns&ammo etc that are less than 6 months old are very welcome. I suppose the overall theme would be food that only requires boling water or is ready to eat. We get alot of canned soup, which we cant really do alot with aside from putting it the white tube socks and hit each other, so I'd refrain from that. Little packets of trail mix and granola bars are usually pretty awesome too.

In the end, it's really the thought that counts. even if you are just cleaning out you rpantry and decide to send it over, some soldier somewhere will eat it or trade it.

Thanks for supporting the troops! </div></div>

I always put a small paper Christmas tree that can be set up with ornaments ( Dollar stores and party paper supply places cary them), some antlers for the head and Santa hats, along with hot sauce, ramen and other hot water cooking items. Have also been known to put some bourbon in a plastic coffee syrup bottles and re-shrink wrap the cap.
Our boxes are already out and should hit the troops right after Thanksgiving.

Which org . is the most reliable to attend to these care pkgs at this time?
Its been a while since we sent any thing.
Links?
thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 152</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which org . is the most reliable to attend to these care pkgs at this time?
Its been a while since we sent any thing.
Links?
thanks </div></div>

Any info. in this regard would be appreciated. Did a quick google search and see many different organizations right off the bat. Any thoughts on the best route to send pakcages?

Some of the more exp here or who have good org skills could start a Rapid Deployment fund, or some other catchy name thread or whatever.
I would be in like Flint on a donation.

Or maybe theres one already available.
Google here we go.

Big list of donation and care package organizations: Support Our Troops

In my limited experience, the best for sending a cash donation is the USO. For sending packages, cookies, magazines, DVDs, etc, Any Soldier dot Com. Or you can go with AnyAirman.com, AnyMarine.com, AnySailor.com, or AnyCoastGuardsman; it's the same organization, just targeting a different branch of the service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big list of donation and care package organizations: Support Our Troops

In my limited experience, the best for sending a cash donation is the USO. For sending packages, cookies, magazines, DVDs, etc, Any Soldier dot Com. Or you can go with AnyAirman.com, AnyMarine.com, AnySailor.com, or AnyCoastGuardsman; it's the same organization, just targeting a different branch of the service. </div></div>

Thanks for that info.

Thank you guys very much for the information! Will get some stuff put together and on the way.

Junk snacks like candy, gummy bears, m&m's, trail mix, some good Va. Peanuts, Doritoes and cans of cheese dip or squirt cheese, beef jerky, a sleeve of smokeless tobacco like Copenhagen. Nothing practical ( the Military supplies plenty of practical ). Lots of sports and hunting and fishing magazines. Good instant coffee. And include a note that if you or your buddies need something just drop us a letter and we'll do what we can.