• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sent Blocking Camouflage, Truth or Fiction?

bronxmurdock1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
Colorado
I've always hunted my game with non sent blocking clothing, and a couple squirts of a sent mask. All the while trying to stay down wind of my prey. However, I just ordered a lightweight set of Sent-Lok camo for a good deal. Not sure what to expect, whether I will be able to stalk my prey with the wind at my back instead of my face.
I do not normally buy into gimmicks, but it was time to buy new hunting clothes. So I thought "Why not try a sent blocking camo?"
My plans are to wear the set out while out hiking the woods where I will be hunting (before season), and try to see if there is an increase in wildlife I come across. If not, I will continue to hunt with the wind in my face along with a few sprays of sent mask.

Last edited:
Both, I'm sure it helps a little, but you still see sponsored guys and all the hunting shows take wind into huge considerations.

I have camo that is both. But I think if you take caution in your prep it won't make a difference. I wash everything in scent free wash then dry with dirt dryer sheets. Then it all goes into a homemade "scent free" tote. I don't open said tote in the house or wear my camo anywhere but the woods. Spray down once i get in the stand. It has helped where I hunt high traffic areas. I also try and use scent free body wash and deodorant. I never used to be as involved until I started bow hunting with some real diehards. Once I started paying attention to my scent control. The amount of deer I saw in the stand doubled.

It helps to an extent. You still have to follow a scent regiment as stated above. I do pretty much the same. Even my towels and warsh rags get scent treated. I am going to try some scent loc this year also. I don't think you can ever eliminate your scent but you can bring it down to levels that don't spook deer. I always play the wind though.

Either field and stream or outdoor life had an article on ozonics. I keep telling my self that's b/s solely because its expensive LOL.

there is no fooling an animals nose. you might limit your exposure to them but thats about it. they will smell you even in scent blok. keep working the wind and doing what youre doing.

I use it, but I'm a naturally sweaty/stinky person. It's not a replacement for good normal scent control practices and it's definitely not going to make up for failures to hunt the wind properly. I look at it as another tool in the tool box.

Scent control regime with all your equipment and out your time in. That's what puts ol freak nasty down. We started food plots and setting up last week, but we are a few weeks behind some.

It depends on the animal you are hunting I would imagine. I don't know much about the way deer smell in comparison to dogs. But shy of wearing a sealed plastic bubble suit you will NOT hide your scent from a dog. The best way I've had the way a dog smells described to me is like this. You walk into a house that has a stew cooking on the stove, you smell a stew. A dog walks into the same house and he smells potatoes, carrots, beef, salt, pepper, and every other ingredient in the stew.
So putting a chemical or something on in an attempt to trick him only gives him a second smell to be curious or afraid of. The dog smells you, and your scent blocker.
This goes the same way with the rumors and things you hear to do if your being chased by a dog team. (I'm not gonna get into why you might get chased by a dog team) Don't roll in cow crap, or spray something like pepper spray on the trail. The dog now smells a shit covered person, he has 2 scents to follow.

Anyone try the HECS camo? I just ordered a set. Not sure if again a marketing gimmick, but supposed to block "electrical signal" that animals can sense. Had been directed to their site by a few hunting buddies and while I already own more camo than anyone should I had a moment of weakness and ordered a set.

Going into the Bob Marshall Wilderness area after deer, elk, and wolves. Would love nothing more than to put a wolf in my crosshairs. I am willing to try any kind of black magic at this point! :)

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts, especially if someone has used it. I am skeptical, but like I said if it does get me on a wolf it was a bargain at twice the price!

Electrical signal? You mean like my cell phone I'm usually texting on when the deer walk by.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this stuff is all that and a bag of chips, I have killed my fair share of game wearing blue jeans and a flanel shirt. Just found their website intriguing and wanted to try some "new shit" I have my share of electronic widgets, cell phone, laser range finder, trimble nomad, Magellan GPS, not sure if I worded it right you will have to look it up to see what exactly they are blocking! :) Probably just a gimick, but I was in the mood to get some new gear for my upcoming hunt and that was it! :)

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this stuff is all that and a bag of chips, I have killed my fair share of game wearing blue jeans and a flanel shirt. Just found their website intriguing and wanted to try some "new shit" I have my share of electronic widgets, cell phone, laser range finder, trimble nomad, Magellan GPS, not sure if I worded it right you will have to look it up to see what exactly they are blocking! :) Probably just a gimick, but I was in the mood to get some new gear for my upcoming hunt and that was it! :)

Any thing that gives you an advantage regardless of the margin is still an advantage.
I say try new things see if they work and let the rest of us here on SH know your results. Once my Sent-Lok gets in I will be putting it through the paces and posting back here what I find.

Any body that says that sent control clothing does not help is wrong in my opionion. Is it the cure all no. Huntign the wind is still king, but a scent control routine, and scent control clothing helps. But you have to keep it clean. You cannot wear it out to the resturant for breakfast, stop and get gas, and pet the dog in it. That goes for any hunting clothing. I also wash everything in scent free wash. Towels, wash clothes, socks, underware, long jons, Layering clothing, and outer wear. I even wipe down with scent free/scent reducing wipes before getting dressed away from the truck. I also wash clothes that I plan on wearing from the house to my hunting location in scent free wash. Do not forget and grab a dirtly cap or coat on the way out the door in the mornings. Everything helps. Can you beat their noses probably not but you may reduce your scent enough to get off the shot. A couple of buddies of mine have gone the way of the OZone machines along with scent reducing clothing and scent control and have had good results hunting the big old bucks in Ohio. They both swear by it..

I always wore rubber boots when hunting deer during black powder season here in Kansas. One day I watched a buck come from up wind following my trail acting spooked. I had been wearing leather boots so I stopped that however I bought a pair of the Scent Lok coveralls and found them to be hot and not very effective. Your hair carries a lot of human scent. I wasn't going to shave my head and my face so...Hunt the wind and hope it doesn't change on you while you're in the stand.

I bought a set of sent blocker camo. and noticed no difference. I was always a freak about where I walked, what I touched, washing and cover scents. I also hunt at about 25 ft and only hunt from where I think will be down wind of the deer. However I still take every advantage I can. and use some of these products.

I do like the Ozonics. I don't believe it is going to beat a deer's nose but will limit it. Seems like most deer will shy away and not blow and run like they would otherwise.

Good luck this season !