• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sentinel Build

DeSnifter

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Florida
Planning a sentinel build in .260 for competitions. Was set on the surgeon until I realized that I can't use AW mags with it. Would I be better off going with a templar action so I can utilize both my magazines?

Sentinel w/ IMB and EFR
Surgeon or Templar/Stiller
24" Bartlein w/ surefire brake
Timney trigger
NF NXS F1 3.5-15 MLR2

Thoughts?

Re: Sentinel Build

If you already run AW mags then just get an action that will accomadate them. It's boils down to preference and just what you want. If you want a Surgeon then just get one and swap the mags out with someone.

A Defiance action will be just as nice and shoot just as well.

The m2008 action should accept both depending on how it is in letted I believe. Mine takes AICS mags.

I wouldn't do either. I would go with Mark Gordon's Alpha 11 action. It takes AI or AW mags. A friend of mine just received a .260 melonited barreled action from SAC, in a Whiskey 3 KRG; it is badass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't do either. I would go with Mark Gordon's Alpha 11 action. It takes AI or AW mags. A friend of mine just received a .260 melonited barreled action from SAC, in a Whiskey 3 KRG; it is badass!</div></div>

Hell.....or he could just not build a rifle at all. Maybe sell his vehicle for a ricksha and cart tourists around town on his back.

Op, either action will serve you fine. If you want a Surgeon, forget the mags and get what you want.

Templar or Big Horn. The M2008 is a tank (heavy), smooth, but Gen has a heavy bolt lift because of that beefed up spring. No experience with the Stiller TAC AW or TAC 30 for that matter.

The other actions are very nice, but for the money I got a Stiller AW from Bugholes...this thing is pretty sweet. Nice finish, PTG one piece fluted bolt, side bolt release, etc. I like it alot.

I have had a Surgeon and have a Surgeon RSR. For straight up $1,000 you can't hardly beat it. It fits a R700 footprint too...you could use different setups in the Sentinel...

The idea behind it is to utilize the IMB so that I can have different barreled actions made and switch them out between the stock. I am not against the SAC action, I actually had not thought about it. My understanding is that if I go with a templar it has to be built at GAP correct?

You can run Alpha mags with the Surgeon, I am doing that now. They are double stack like the AW mags and they allow longer OAL. I had a Badger action and thought it was great, they are a little heavier and they do take AW mags.

I have heard of the surgeon action being modified to accept AW mags. I believe moon @ crescent customs has done it. I'm not 100% sure though.

I mounted a Bighorn Short Action Tactical in my KMW with IMB. This is by far the best action I have handled, and AJ was a pleasure to work with. The Bighorn is smooth as glass and feeds from Terry's bottom metal flawlessly. He even got on the phone with Terry to double check the footprint and insure that everything would fit as expected. AJ did make some adjustments (.3 inches shorter) to the receiver threads to make sure the recoil lug fit. I run the Alpha mags to get my OAL to 2.97.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The idea behind it is to utilize the IMB so that I can have different barreled actions made and switch them out between the stock. I am not against the SAC action, I actually had not thought about it. My understanding is that if I go with a templar it has to be built at GAP correct?</div></div>

A 700 footprint is available, GAP would be a good choice, but I dont see why other smiths cannot if you send them the action.

http://defiancemachine.com/actions-for-immediate-sale/