• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SEPTEMBER 2010 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 17pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

Doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

Thread for posting scores for our monthly <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #CC9933">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION</span>" </span>and <span style="font-weight: bold">"<span style="color: #009900">SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION</span>"</span> matches.

<span style="color: #FF0000">SH MONTHLY RIMFIRE 25+50yd 4 POSITION COMPETITION RULES </span>

SH MONTHLY 50yd TACTICAL RIMFIRE COMPETITION RULES

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Scores of both of the short range competitions will be posted in the same thread. If you shoot both the 4P and TRC, please use 2 different posts (one for each). At the end of the month, scores and rankings from both competitions will be posted as seperate events.

<span style="font-weight: bold">PREVIOUS <span style="color: #CC9933">4 POSITION</span> and <span style="color: #009900">50yd TACTICAL</span> SCORES </span>

AUGUST 2010 scores

JULY 2010 scores

JUNE 2010 scores

MAY 2010 scores

April 2010 scores

March 2010 scores

February 2010 scores

January 2010 scores

DECEMBER 2009 SCORES

A place for a good source of tips, tricks, what worked, what didn't, rifle / ammo performance, thoughts, etc.:

Learnings thread for SH short range competitions

Re: SEPTEMBER 2010 SH SHORT RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

The 10 numbers on stage 2 "The Grid" of the 50YD TRC competition are:

9, 12, 18, 14, 5, 16, 3, 13, 2, 10.

Remember, they have to be shot in that order.

This will be my first attempt at these targets (or any kind of "tactical" shooting for that matter). I'm quite suprised that I got all of the KYL portion. If I can only learn to control the flyers on the other sections... I'd be gtg!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Equipment Used</span>:
CZ 453 22lr
BSA Tactical Mil-Dot 6-24x44
Burris Tactical Rings
Harris 6"-9" Bipod (wasn't used)
Aguila Match Rifle 22lr
Caldwell Tackdriver
Caldwell Rear Bag

<span style="font-weight: bold">Overall Score: 145</span>
Score on target is incorrect. I didn't understand the "no-shoot" part of S-2. The hit on "12" also hit "7" so that +5/-5. The miss on "16" and "13" are -0. The miss on "10" hit "19" so that's a -5. I ended up gaining 5 points in S-2.

the new target has more space between the blocks for just that reason. just enough space now that a .22 hole will not hit both blocks. the "no shoot" would be any other number that is not picked for the month, or a mistakenly hit one that is picked (2 hits on the same picked number. the space around a block is 0 points for that shot, nothing gained but nothing lost either.)

i put up the newest version of the "tactical rimfire competition target" on the printable target link, and below.
SH50YTRCTARGET.jpg

Looks great TP. Hope to get out over the holiday weekend and give it a try.

Hmmm... Looks like I'll have to re-shoot on a new target. Is the only difference the increased spaces between numbers in S-2?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEMI Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm... Looks like I'll have to re-shoot on a new target. Is the only difference the increased spaces between numbers in S-2?</div></div>

the spaces are the only difference.

that's up to you if you want to shoot another, but looking at your target it's 145. s1 10, s2 30, s3 40, s4 65, s5 0 = 145.

Here is my submission for the September 50 yard Tactical Rimfire Competition.

First of all, Thanks to those that have contributed to putting this together. This was a blast!

Name: Erik.300Ultra
Rifle: Ruger 10/22, customized
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: Wolf Match Extra 40gr
Sights: Leupold 9x
Rest: Bi-pod front, sand bag rear

Stage 1: 25/25
Stage 2: 40/50
Stage 3: 10/50
Stage 4: 65/65
Stage 5: 40/60

Total score, minus penalties: 180/250

Penalties: Missed #10, hit #4 on stage 2. 1st and 5th shot landed outside ring on stage 3.

9-5-1050yTactical1022.jpg

What I learned; 9x is the bare minimum for this game. I had a hard time reading the numbers on stage 2. I wonder if it was the rifle or me that caused the point of impact shift throughout stage 2. I over corrected the sights before starting stage 3. I should have re adjusted the sights on stage 3, instead of trying to adjust my "hold." I'm not sure why I thought that I could break the line to get the points in stage 3, but I screwed myself, big time. I over-corrected the sights (again) on stage 4, and almost blew the first ring. I'm hooked!

nice shooting, and you bring up a good question:

we are doing the best edge type of scoring where all you have to do is break a line to be counted as a hit. for stage 3, if a round breaks the line (such as shown above) for shot 4 and possibly 3, should it be considered in the circle?

what do you guys think, we definately need a ruling/clarification on this one.

i'll pose the question back in the match origination thread...

Nice shooting Eric, especially that stage 4.

As far as scoring goes TP, I kinda' think if the bullet breaks the line it should count as a hit (of course, i need all of the help i can get :)).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice shooting, and you bring up a good question:

we are doing the best edge type of scoring where all you have to do is break a line to be counted as a hit. for stage 3, if a round breaks the line (such as shown above) for shot 4 and possibly 3, should it be considered in the circle?

what do you guys think, we definately need a ruling/clarification on this one.

i'll pose the question back in the match origination thread...

</div></div>

If you want to continue calling stage 3 the 3/4" challenge, then perhaps a 1/2" circle would be more appropriate? That way any shot that falls within the circle or even breaks the line would still be within a 3/4" group. Or just leave it the way it is. I understand the ruling now.

Thanks for the kind words.

Erik

good point,

i think the original intent was to shoot a group of 5 rounds to see include the grouping side of shooting. i also think we wanted to keep the target "accessible" to many types of equipment / shooters without turning it into a benchrest type of thing. calling it 1/2" challenge may scare off a few, but i do see your logic in the nomenclature of the stage.

it's up to the other guys, but i do appreciate the feedback. i'm fine with it either way.

so far everyone's agreed that breaking the line on that stage counts as a hit, edit your score if you don't mind. if that third shot broke it, you have 10, if it didn't break it, -10. your score will be upped in either case.

oh and welcome to the hide, and the rimfire comps.

I'm all good either way. But I do agree that a 1/2" might scare some people off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good point,

i think the original intent was to shoot a group of 5 rounds to see include the grouping side of shooting. i also think we wanted to keep the target "accessible" to many types of equipment / shooters without turning it into a benchrest type of thing. calling it 1/2" challenge may scare off a few, but i do see your logic in the nomenclature of the stage.

it's up to the other guys, but i do appreciate the feedback. i'm fine with it either way.

so far everyone's agreed that breaking the line on that stage counts as a hit, edit your score if you don't mind. if that third shot broke it, you have 10, if it didn't break it, -10. your score will be upped in either case.

oh and welcome to the hide, and the rimfire comps.

</div></div>

Either way is fine with me. Looks like the 3rd shot broke the line (just) so I will edit my score.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and letting me give a challenge a try!

Erik

50Y TRC P

NAME: Carter Mayfield
RIFLE: Rem 40X with Krieger Barrel
CALIBER: 22LR
AMMO: ELEY MATCH
SIGHTS: SCOPE
REST: HARRIS BIPOD / REAR BAG

STAGE 1: 25
STAGE 2: 50
STAGE 3: 50
STAGE 4: 65
STAGE 5: 60

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 250

09061050ydTacticalRimfire.jpg

I think the hostage stage was the toughest. I have learned that my cold bore is pretty consistently high by about .25 mils. Good to know.

Thanks! It is a pretty target except for the hostage part (I consider nice to be when the bullet goes right where it should. I barely clipped the eye panel on that second terrorist.)

^ I actually wanna see you shoot this from 100 lol. Nice!

I was thinking about it. I could do alright at 75, I think, but at 100, no way. The hostages would be toast. On a good day, I could do 10 points on KYL. And forget about cold bore.

It might be fun to try, though.

Nice shooting, Carter. Do you have any pictures of your 40X? I have been kicking around the idea of getting one.

Erik

I'll try to get some pics up later. I am no photographer. The build is someone else's custom build. I wouldn't spec it out the same way if starting from scratch, but it is a shooter, so I will not be messing with it any time soon.

Eh..screwed the grid up. Not too bad but not too good.

NAME: SmallBoreSniper
RIFLE: Marlin 917VR
CALIBER: .17 HMR
AMMO: CCI TNT Hollow Point
SIGHTS: SCOPE 15X
REST: BIPOD / REAR BAG

STAGE 2: 35
STAGE 3: 40
STAGE 4: 40
STAGE 5: 30

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 170

Ran out of time to shoot the other matches but managed the 25y four position.

Name: NZShoota
Match: 25Y-4P
Class: S
Rifle: CZ452 American
Ammo: Winchester SubSonic 40gr HP
TLB: 48-1x (offhand)
TRB: 49-3x (kneeling)
CB: 50-3x (sitting)
LLB: 50-3x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-5x (prone - bipod)
Total Score: 247-15x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NZShoota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ran out of time to shoot the other matches but managed the 25y four position.

Total Score: 247-15x</div></div>

Great scores, especially considering you are shooting upside down (in NZ!)
laugh.gif

25YD 4-P 67DEG. 12-15MPH 4:00 WIND, CLOUDY

forgot we can use a sling, i've been shooting this without all this time. slinged up today, although the points don't show it, major difference in groups from what was. the wind was a factor blowing ME around more than the bullet.

25YD 4-P SS

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Match: 25Y-4P SS
Rifle: SAVAGE MKII F
Ammo: Winchester WILDCAT H.POINT
TLB: 42-0x (offhand)
TRB: 46-1x (kneeling)
CB: 46-1x (sitting)
LLB: 48-1x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-2x (prone - bipod)
Total Score: 232-5x
SEPT201025YD4PSS.jpg

25YD 4-P

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Rifle: SAVAGE MKII F
Ammo: Winchester WILDCAT H.POINT
TLB: 47-0x (offhand)
TRB: 41-0x (kneeling)
CB: 47-2x (sitting)
LLB: 48-2x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-3x (prone - bipod)
Total Score: 233-7x
SEPT201025YD4P.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NZShoota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ran out of time to shoot the other matches but managed the 25y four position.

Total Score: 247-15x</div></div>

Great scores, especially considering you are shooting upside down (in NZ!)
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Thanks Carter. Your scores haven't been too bad either!!!
smile.gif

Those 25y 4 position scores look good! I'll see if I have time to try my hand at it later today.

Erik

User Name: Erik.300Ultra
Sight Class: S
Rifle: Ruger 10/22
Ammo: Wolf Match Extra
TLB: 44-1x
TRB: 43-0x
CB: 42-1x
LLB: 49-2x
LRB: 50-3x
Total Score: 228-7x

9-10-1025y4pos.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik.300ultra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting, Carter. Do you have any pictures of your 40X? I have been kicking around the idea of getting one.

Erik</div></div>

Sorry it took so long to snap this picture. The shadows are a little distracting. I will need to take some more. But I think this is the first time 40Xcalibur has been shown on SH.

She is a 40X trued by Gene Davis in a McMillan prone stock with an Anschutz rail and a 3-way adjustable butt-plate. She has a Krieger barrel and is topped with a Nightforce scope with an Alamo Four Star Level Grouse Anti-cant Device.

I have mounted a pic rail on the Anschutz rail and can switch bipods from the BRMS Harris shown in the picture to an Atlas or a Harris Model H.

40Xcalibur.jpg

Very nice, Carter. That NF looks right at home on there.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 40X for a while. I haven't looked <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> hard, but I know that they can get spendy, FAST. Just a stripped, barreled receiver from CMP is $350. Add in a bolt ($200) trigger/bolt stop, feed ramp, bottom metal, stock... Maybe I should buy the 40X Sporter/Repeater that is on Gunbroker right now, the current bid is only 4K!

Thanks for the pictures.

Erik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

40Xcalibur.jpg
</div></div>

Nice looking rifle! Top shelf gunsmith too.

Oh..I just want to hold that rifle and love it lol. Freakin sweet!

Got round to shooting the 50 yard tactical

50Y TRC B

NAME: NZShoota
MATCH: 50Y TRC P
RIFLE: CZ452 American
AMMO: Winchester SubSonic 40gr HP
CLASS: S
REST: Harris bipod/rear bag

STAGE 2: 40
STAGE 3: 30
STAGE 4: 35
STAGE 5: 40

Total 170

^ Hopefully I get a chance to shoot later today.
Then you two will still be tied for third!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ Uh oh. We're tied for 3rd haha. </div></div>

Give it a couple of weeks....then it might be time for a shoot off
grin.gif

A 3 way tie lol. We should probably come up with a tie breaker for this match!

Nice to see that this thing is still shooting. I know it wont do any good but if you get tired of it ill buy it back. Its one of those guns that stays in the back of my mind. But i dont see it happening.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik.300ultra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting, Carter. Do you have any pictures of your 40X? I have been kicking around the idea of getting one.

Erik</div></div>

Sorry it took so long to snap this picture. The shadows are a little distracting. I will need to take some more. But I think this is the first time 40Xcalibur has been shown on SH.

She is a 40X trued by Gene Davis in a McMillan prone stock with an Anschutz rail and a 3-way adjustable butt-plate. She has a Krieger barrel and is topped with a Nightforce scope with an Alamo Four Star Level Grouse Anti-cant Device.

I have mounted a pic rail on the Anschutz rail and can switch bipods from the BRMS Harris shown in the picture to an Atlas or a Harris Model H.

40Xcalibur.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice to see that this thing is still shooting. I know it wont do any good but if you get tired of it ill buy it back. Its one of those guns that stays in the back of my mind. But i dont see it happening.</div></div>

Yeah, I don't think I am parting with it any time soon... no safety, no bolt release, oddly put together bottom metal and horrible inletting job... but is comfortable and shoots like a house on fire.

Yip, it is going to stay with me for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50Y TRC P

NAME: Carter Mayfield
RIFLE: Rem 40X with Krieger Barrel
AMMO: ELEY MATCH
SIGHTS: SCOPE
REST: HARRIS BIPOD / REAR BAG

STAGE 2: 50
STAGE 3: 50
STAGE 4: 65
STAGE 5: 60

TOTAL SCORE MINUS PENALTIES: 250

09061050ydTacticalRimfire.jpg

I think the hostage stage was the toughest. I have learned that my cold bore is pretty consistently high by about .25 mils. Good to know. </div></div>

I thought on Stage 4 you had to actually break the circle, is that not how that portion works?

All 5 shots must land inside the circle. You lose 10 points for any shot the lands outside. If you get a hit that is mostly outise the circle, but at least breaks the line, it is considered a hit.

for stage 4 (know your limits) i thought it was if you miss any of the circles, it was no points for the whole stage.

example: you hit the first (+5), hit the second (+10 for a total of 15 so far), go for the third circle, miss it, 0 points for whole stage.

if you stop on the second, +15 points for the stage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All 5 shots must land inside the circle. You lose 10 points for any shot the lands outside. If you get a hit that is mostly outise the circle, but at least breaks the line, it is considered a hit.</div></div>
i think this is what was decided for stage 3 "the group"

^My bad!! My apologies. Yes, what he said. I was accidentally speaking for stage 3.

Ran out and shot my target at the end of the evening, but in my haste, forgot to look up what the numbers for S2 were. I didn't want the trip out there to be a waste, so I just picked some random numbers and shot them. If I scored everything correctly, and got my math right, I shot 130/250. The hostage stage really did me in, it seemed as if my zero moved a bit to the left as I shot through the match. Oh well, I'll practice a bit more and give it another go in October.

Name: XxMerlinxX
Rifle: Savage MKII FV
Ammo: Federal Gold Medal 40gr
Sights: Vortex Crossfire
Rest: Bi-pod front, unsupported rear.

SeptemberShoot.jpg

Here's my September scores. A bit rusty right now.

Class: A (Peep Sight)
Rifle: Savage MKII FVT
Ammo: Federal 510B
TLB: 47-1x (offhand)
TRB: 48-1x (kneeling)
CB: 47-0x (setting)
LLB: 45-1x (prone - unsupported)
LRB: 50-1x (prone - unsupported)
Total Score: 237-4x