• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Serious question, no flame war needed or wanted

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    So, a friend is talking to what I have been told is a serious outfit about buying a custom gasser topped with... wait for it... a Valdata scope.

I've been around a while, I bought the first gen SH 3-18 (and it failed), and have owned at least 10 IORs (none any longer) so I am not a newcomer asking a stupid question.

I also used the search function AND googled the topic. My question to the learned folk here: has Valdata overcome its issues and become a reputable option in the US? And is Val still there?

The friend told me about the choice he already made, so I didn't offer feedback, but am now genuinely interested. IOR always had good glass, the MP-8 is still among my favorite reticles for certain tasks, and tracking was usually good, and turrets were hit-n-miss for feel and function.

Did they drop the "IOR" and, with it, shed the bad parts?

And, truly, this is a serious question...

Yeah it has been years since I have heard their name. Years back they were a small name with a small loyal following in the BR community because their 36X had great quality glass (had other issues but thats another story). have not even thought of them in a very long time.

The 3-18 x 42 Illuminated SFP with MP-8 reticle is still my favorite hunting rifle optic.
    If my 4.5-18 x44 LRHSI had better glass it would be a toss up.
    The Valdata has never given me any issues but am fully aware of its jaded past here.

So, a friend is talking to what I have been told is a serious outfit about buying a custom gasser topped with... wait for it... a Valdata scope.

I've been around a while, I bought the first gen SH 3-18 (and it failed), and have owned at least 10 IORs (none any longer) so I am not a newcomer asking a stupid question.

I also used the search function AND googled the topic. My question to the learned folk here: has Valdata overcome its issues and become a reputable option in the US? And is Val still there?

The friend told me about the choice he already made, so I didn't offer feedback, but am now genuinely interested. IOR always had good glass, the MP-8 is still among my favorite reticles for certain tasks, and tracking was usually good, and turrets were hit-n-miss for feel and function.

Did they drop the "IOR" and, with it, shed the bad parts?

And, truly, this is a serious question...
    RC, Valdada is no longer exclusive to IOR, they are also using LOW for some of their newer scope designs IIRC. While there is not much love for Valdada on the Hide they are still around and Val is still in charge, at least as of a few years ago. The fact they are still around may indicate he gets a decent amount of sales, enough to continue to stay in business. I have never had an issue with Val, I have offered to give some of his newer scopes a fair shake but once he hears about reviews being on Snipers Hide he backs away. The resale value of the scopes are not the best so I steer clear of spending my own money on them. He has some wonky reticles and tube diameters which typically causes me to pass.