• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting a Forster Outside Neck Turner

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Normally I use a K&M with some extra bits and pieces I've accumulated, but for various reasons I ended up with a Forster outside neck turner (ONT) head and pilot for .30 cal, with the intention of chucking the shaft for the head in a drill press and using the collet base clamped to the dp table. Special project, 'nuf said.

Compared to what I'm used to (K&M), the adjustments on the Forster seem *extremely* coarse. Anybody have any experience and/or tips on getting one of these suckers dialed in without wasting a lot of cases in the process?

Re: Setting a Forster Outside Neck Turner

I haven't used my Forster for years, but as I recall it was pretty much a trial and error thing' like you said, coarse. Just go slowly and you should be able to get setup in no more than two cases. I moved to K&M.

Unfortunately (or not, depending on how you look at it) the K&M doesn't lend itself to chucking in a drill press. I've done it the other way (chuck the case driver) which works... but my case driver is busted for the moment and I'm using that as an excuse to fiddle with the Forster.

One idea I had (but haven't tried yet) was to maybe try tightening (gently) the cutter down with some feeler gauge strips as spacers - to see if I can at least get it 'close' on the first pass.

It is somewhat of a PITA going from a turner where one increment moves the cutter 0.0002", to one where one 1/16th turn moves the cutter 0.002"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately (or not, depending on how you look at it) the K&M doesn't lend itself to chucking in a drill press. I've done it the other way (chuck the case driver) which works...</div></div>

That's how I use it. I'm lazy.

How do you break the case holder?

I have a forster, the slack in the dial needs to be taken up before making the adjustment. It seems to work well for me...But it did take a little trial and error at first on some old culled pieces of brass.

The stock K&M case holder doesn't have enough leverage to tighten a case down and not have it spin in the holder (at least not with my grip)... so I have an add-on knurled aluminum ring about 3" dia. that attaches via set screw to give some extra grunt. After a few years and several thousand cases, part of the driver where it threads up and pushes against the case head separated. In the past it's came loose, but some loctite always took care of things before - this time its permanent. I need to order a new driver, but haven't gotten around to it.

Ahso. I usually wear a glove and hit the drill switch to tighten the case holder. I have a couple of scars.

Use a set of Automotive feeler gages to set it up! No guessing involved, just slide the correct feeler gage between the blade and mandral. Adjust the cutter until it just touches the feeler and you should be extremely close to that cutting depth!

feeler gage at Harbor freight

Terry