• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Setting back 22-250 barrel, how far?

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
Decided to do some work on my prairie dog gun for this years trip. Its a 700VSSFII. Gun shot pretty well, but I personally have around 600 rounds through it, and I bought it used, so its probably got between 1k-1.5k through it.

I tore it apart, trued up the action and bolt face, lapped the lugs. Just did a clean up on the receiver threads since Im using the factory barrel. Also drilled it for a PTG .300 tapered recoil lug. Ordered a 22-250 match reamer from PTG.

My question, since Ive never set a barrel back before, is how far do you usually go?

Re: Setting back 22-250 barrel, how far?

If it's a varmint countour, I normally cut them off near the factory thread relief. .6250 comes to mind. Double check to make sure you'll have enough meat for a new shoulder. I'm just a hobbyist. I wouldn't mind hearing what the pros have to say about it.

Both, something to do, but also want to make it as much of a hammer as possible without buying a new barrel yet.

I have found that 1/8" off the barrel will be plunty to clean up any new chamber.

Wayne

In my opinion it's going to depend on how many rounds are thru it and or how much wear it's showing in the throat area and first part of the rifling. You have to look at it and make that determination.

Like a previous post stated make sure you have enough shoulder left to do the work etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

You say you trued up the action? If you did it correctly you would have had to re-cut the receiver threads to make up for the suspected loss of concentricity between the bolt raceway and the threads. If that be the case, then the old threads on the barrel will be too loose to do any good, they would be too sloppy a fit.

I think you have enough room with a Varmint contour barrel to cut off the whole threaded shank and start over. That is what we do, but it is just one of two options.

1- You can just cut the barrel back a thread or two to get rid of the long factory freebore (some calibers). This does not correct any concentricity issues, just puts a fresh chamber in with your specs.

2- Cut the whole tennon off, re thread, fit to action, bore out existing chamber so you can cut out the run out, freshly chamber again.

Option 2 is what we do because we have enough material to do so, plus it is the right thing to do if you are choosing to use a factory barrel again and have enough meat.

Mark

As stated above, I performed a cleanup pass on the receiver threads, removed roughly .005 off the diameter and I was getting contact nearly all the way around the thread, didnt want to go any further. 60 degree threads will center themselves even with a slightly sloppy fit, and the few new threads I put on the tenon I will make a tight fit. So I know it will be better than it was. As good as a new barrel? No, but Im not ready to pay for a new barrel for this rig yet.

Mark. I dont think I have the meat on this barrel to cut off the whole tenon, if I do so, it looks like the end of the chamber will be into the tapered area of the barrel. Also I likely wont have a surface to grab with the vise to put the barrel back on. Ill have to take some measurements and see if I cant go just far enough to where Ill be able to bore it concentric before chambering.

Is it a hammer now?

If so, don't fix it.

However:

If you trued the action and did thread work then they are out of kosh. You might consider threading a completely new tennon to ensure a proper thread fit with the receiver.

Good luck.

C.

Just measured it, the shank starts to taper off only about 3/8" past the current shoulder so Id probably only be able to remove around .25 and still be able to grip it in the vise.

Pdog trip isnt until June, so Ill see what happens with a short set back, if not up to par Ive got time to grab a new barrel.

Thanks for the tips guys.

If your worried about torquing the barrel back on you can take a set of bushings and just like bedding a rifle. Use your bedding compound to match the contour of the barrel with your bushings.

Kc