• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Setting Parallax and Eye piece

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
If I am setting the focus on the eye piece, which setting should the parralax be at? Should it be set to infinity before I start to adjust the eyepiece? Thanks!

Re: Setting Parallax and Eye piece

Set the parallax to infinity, point the scope at the sky and adjust the eyepiece until the reticle is as clear as possible, it may take a couple times to get it perfect, USO has an excellent article on parallax.

I set the parralax somewhere in the middle and then focus the eyepiece while either loking at the clear sky or a featureless white sheet of paper. I get it so sharp I can look for very extended times without the crosshair fading or fuzzing. It makes the scope a joy to use from then on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am setting the focus on the eye piece, which setting should the parralax be at? Should it be set to infinity before I start to adjust the eyepiece? Thanks! </div></div>
Always adjust the parallax setting to Infinity (the Infinity setting looks like an elongated, horizontal "figure eight") prior to adjusting the eyepiece. If the scope is a variable model, turn the magnification to the highest setting.

Below is the correct procedure for Diopter (Ocular/Eyepiece) adjustment for both fixed and variable power scopes. The procedure is the same regardless of scope manufacturer, or whether the objective/parallax focus is on the objective ring or is a side focus type.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> If the scope is a fixed power unit skip steps 1 and 2 as they do not apply.

(1) Turn the magnification ring to maximum (highest power).

(2) Turn the Parallax focus to "Infinity" (the symbol for Infinity looks like a figure eight). <span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> Most non-side focus scopes use a ring on the objective bell to adjust parallax, and the distances are usually numbered. Side focus parallax adjustment knobs may or may not have distances marked.

(3) Turn the ocular bell/eyepiece all the way in.

(4) Aim the scope at a cloudless section of the sky (you don't want anything except sky in the view, or else your eye will naturally attempt to focus on the object in the view beyond the reticle.

(5) Look at something nearby, but not too close, then look through the scope at the reticle. If the reticle is out-of-focus turn it a bit to begin to focusing the reticle, but look away from the scope. Never look at the reticle for more than a couple of seconds when adjusting the eyepiece (if you look at the reticle for more than a second or two your eye will naturally begin to adjust to bring the reticle into focus - and you don't want this to happen. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">You want to be able to look through the scope and see a sharply focused reticle immediately with your eye relaxed</span></span>). This cannot be achieved by continuously looking through the scope and turning the eyepiece into focus in one continous motion because your eye will have already begun to adjust.

Remember, look away every few seconds and make small adjustments to dial-in the Ocular/Eyepiece focus. Once you have achieved this, you should not adjust the eyepiece at all, except to maintain proper focus as your vision changes over time <span style="font-style: italic">(it always does).</span> You may want to put a pen mark on the eyepiece indexed to the index dot on the scope tube - if the tube doesn't have an index mark use a pencil. That way, if someone else shoots your rifle and adjusts the Ocular you know where to return the adjustment to.

However, if you still cannot achieve simultaneous reticle and image focus after following the above directions for Eyepiece/Ocular Focus, it is <span style="font-style: italic">possible</span> that there is a problem with the scope.

Keith

Thanks for the response. Very helpful!

Sorry for bringing up an old post... but my SN-3 with the ERGO objective continues to turn passed the infinity symbol. So do I set it at the infinity symbol or unil it stops (beyond the symbol)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for bringing up an old post... but my SN-3 with the ERGO objective continues to turn passed the infinity symbol. So do I set it at the infinity symbol or unil it stops (beyond the symbol) </div></div>

Don't take the markings on the objective literally. It's just a "guide" to get you close to the adjusted parallax.

You still should check for parallax by moving your head up and down or left to right (do a "no" or "yes") while behind the rifle in position and focused on the target. As you're doing that you also are turning the parallax adjustment until the reticle stops moving and the sight picture is clear and focused.

One reason why I do not care for ERGO objectives on long scope bodies... awkward for me to adjust parallax but I think I just have short arms. ha.

This was excellent advice..I zero'd my rifle PRIOR to doing this, after doing this should I re-zero??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am setting the focus on the eye piece, which setting should the parralax be at? Should it be set to infinity before I start to adjust the eyepiece? Thanks! </div></div>
Always adjust the parallax setting to Infinity (the Infinity setting looks like an elongated, horizontal "figure eight") prior to adjusting the eyepiece. If the scope is a variable model, turn the magnification to the highest setting.

Below is the correct procedure for Diopter (Ocular/Eyepiece) adjustment for both fixed and variable power scopes. The procedure is the same regardless of scope manufacturer, or whether the objective/parallax focus is on the objective ring or is a side focus type.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> If the scope is a fixed power unit skip steps 1 and 2 as they do not apply.

(2) Turn the Parallax focus to "Infinity" (the symbol for Infinity looks like a figure eight). <span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> Most non-side focus scopes use a ring on the objective bell to adjust parallax, and the distances are usually numbered. Side focus parallax adjustment knobs may or may not have distances marked.

(4) Aim the scope at a cloudless section of the sky (you don't want anything except sky in the view, or else your eye will naturally attempt to focus on the object in the view beyond the reticle.

(5) Look at something nearby, but not too close, then look through the scope at the reticle. If the reticle is out-of-focus turn it a bit to begin to focusing the reticle, but look away from the scope. Never look at the reticle for more than a couple of seconds when adjusting the eyepiece (if you look at the reticle for more than a second or two your eye will naturally begin to adjust to bring the reticle into focus - and you don't want this to happen. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">You want to be able to look through the scope and see a sharply focused reticle immediately with your eye relaxed</span></span>). This cannot be achieved by continuously looking through the scope and turning the eyepiece into focus in one continous motion because your eye will have already begun to adjust.

Remember, look away every few seconds and make small adjustments to dial-in the Ocular/Eyepiece focus. Once you have achieved this, you should not adjust the eyepiece at all, except to maintain proper focus as your vision changes over time <span style="font-style: italic">(it always does).</span> You may want to put a pen mark on the eyepiece indexed to the index dot on the scope tube - if the tube doesn't have an index mark use a pencil. That way, if someone else shoots your rifle and adjusts the Ocular you know where to return the adjustment to.

However, if you still cannot achieve simultaneous reticle and image focus after following the above directions for Eyepiece/Ocular Focus, it is <span style="font-style: italic">possible</span> that there is a problem with the scope.

Keith</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Testedone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was excellent advice..I zero'd my rifle PRIOR to doing this, after doing this should I re-zero??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am setting the focus on the eye piece, which setting should the parralax be at? Should it be set to infinity before I start to adjust the eyepiece? Thanks! </div></div>

Keith</div></div> </div></div>
Yes. Adjustment of the Diopter setting affects the Parallax setting, so you should re-zero to confirm that your zero is still valid.

Keith