• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up a range out to 1 mile- Need help with target sizes

simpy16

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Boise, ID
I am setting up a range on my land and want to have targets from 300-1760 yards. I will have paper backers from 100-300. My goal is to have 1MOA and 2MOA targets every 100 yards, example 3" and 6" at 300, 4" and 8" at 400, etc. My issue is when I get to about 1000 yards. I am around 10-12" for the 1MOA but if I start to scale out putting 2MOA targets it starts to be very expensive quickly.
Curious for those of you who have steel or access to steel out past 1000 yards what size plates do you shoot on? Hoping to have something that I can practice for PRS style shooting so the silhouette of a F250 out there will not get me much useful practice.

Also out past 1000 yards can I start to put 1/4" steel and be okay from it being deformed even with magnums? Potentially to save some money and spot impacts with smaller caliber rifles.

Mild steel at 1000 gets craters with the 300 wm. Around 12-1300 your fine with mild steel. Past a grand 1.5 moa is nice if you miss read wind. Especially if your back stop is bullet gobbling vegetation

At less than a grand the 338 puts holes in 1/2” mild

Attachments

• 10389108-B37F-42A8-B8C1-FF22B75B3533.jpeg
    10389108-B37F-42A8-B8C1-FF22B75B3533.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 101
Mild steel at 1000 gets craters with the 300 wm. Around 12-1300 your fine with mild steel. Past a grand 1.5 moa is nice if you miss read wind. Especially if your back stop is bullet gobbling vegetation

At less than a grand the 338 puts holes in 1/2” mild
Thanks, I only put AR500 or 550 up. I don't want to deal with mild steel out there.

I consider targets to be part of the long-term investment process. Every now and then I throw money at JC Steel and add AR-500 mass. You can get some mild steel and beat it up but no biggie - it's a consumable. I have a 20" 1/4" AR-500 for a mile and a 30" for beyond. The 30" was my Christmas present from the wife and kids back in '18. If I ever spring for a 416B, there might be some severe AR-500 pucker factor going on.

Reactions: camocorvette
If it is a flat-ish range....and I'm saying this because I shoot at TVP and that is my experience....but I'd go with just an 18" and a 12" target at one mile....unless it is thick vegetation around it with no hope of a splash...then you may need a larger confirmation plate.

I shot somewhere recently at 1600 yards...I was billy bob badass...I could not miss....just shot after shot...my head got bigger and bigger...until I found out it was a 54" plate...then my head shrunk back to normal size...heh

I'd use 8" at 1000 and then a half ipsec as a confirmation plate...then sprinkle in some 6" and maybe a 4" for giggles.

If it is a flat-ish range....and I'm saying this because I shoot at TVP and that is my experience....but I'd go with just an 18" and a 12" target at one mile....unless it is thick vegetation around it with no hope of a splash...then you may need a larger confirmation plate.

I shot somewhere recently at 1600 yards...I was billy bob badass...I could not miss....just shot after shot...my head got bigger and bigger...until I found out it was a 54" plate...then my head shrunk back to normal size...heh

I'd use 8" at 1000 and then a half ipsec as a confirmation plate...then sprinkle in some 6" and maybe a 4" for giggles.
I am thinking about sticking some matches out at 1000 and see if I can split them with a bullet...6" and 4" seem a tad small at that range.

I am thinking about sticking some matches out at 1000 and see if I can split them with a bullet...6" and 4" seem a tad small at that range.

You'd be surprised at what you can hit...the first time I saw people putting shotgun clays at 1000...I thought they were nuts....now...it's fun.

One of the targets I shoot is a 12” gong at 2020 yards.
that’s a tough one!

Yea...that is tiny....how hard is it to see? Last year I hit a target at 2000yds but it was 24 inches....and at 2200 and 2500 they were 36" targets...and they were tough....and I couldn't blame the wind either....so calm you could hear a gopher fart at 400yds

Yea...that is tiny....how hard is it to see? Last year I hit a target at 2000yds but it was 24 inches....and at 2200 and 2500 they were 36" targets...and they were tough....and I couldn't blame the wind either....so calm you could hear a gopher fart at 400yds
It’s pretty easy to see but spotting hits and misses is tough unless it’s dry and light is perfect.
I got two consecutive hits one day, Even heard the pings that day.
Most days it’s extremely difficult.

probably because you've never had them cooked right....them main's can be kinda boney...but if you cube it...and add some little taters and corn cobs...and use some Zatarains' ..that's some good eatin'.

oh...and :)
But main is good stuff

gotta shoot a main now and again

now a man - maybe yes maybe no

but a main has it coming

and the questions stands - if it aint main size - why shoot it? Main = 11” x 22”

and I like my main rubbed in cumin and smoked as it can be greasy - almost as good as chaka meat “falling from the bone” ... “Land of the Lost”
JD

Reactions: jasent
I like man size targets myself, maybe I’m a bad shot but I feel like it’s practical. I also like to shoot through and around stuff to get there though. Peep holes, glass ect.

I’m not out to 1k plus or a mile yet, I may get a few more smaller mil targets to put up and teat myself.

I agree all joking aside. I hit my 1st 1750 last year in the Mojave and everything changed for me. When we go we use the 11” x22” silhouette targets. Now I am in no way talking down to anyone shooting as anyone who shoots is ok in my book. Question was for a new 1 mile range and for that, personally I would rather shoot a man sized target. There are guys who shoot 12” gongs and my hats off t them. Also giys who shoot 4’ x 4’ at 3,000 plus - again that is awesome. If are hitting what you aim at - good enough.
As far as 1 mile those who say its easy probably have not done it. Most who say they have have not in my experience (those I meet at the range And the “gun shop” warriors).
My first hit at 1750 was with my gun smiths 300 Norma Magnum in an AI AX. I have since gotten my own AI AX(something I thought I would never own) and am currently having Mile High make me a 33x barrel. I am fully addicted to ELR now - and pushing a 300 grain bullet at 3200 fps just makes my heart beat faster at the thought. Ill post pics when done.
Thank you - JD

As far as 1 mile those who say its easy probably have not done it. Most who say they have have not in my experience (those I meet at the range And the “gun shop” warriors).

Yea...when you walk around the range chatting people up and talking about their guns...and they say it is a 'laser'...a 'hammer'....'no problems at 1 mile'....and I ask if they've hit the 1 mile target...and they look at me like....'of course I have...it is easy'......then when I dial up the one mile target....miss slight right...dial in...hit...hit....and then ask 'who's next?'.....and they all slink away....or they give me an excuse of they have a new load that is different today and they are just working up some data....or something....yea....they ain't been there yet.

Yea...when you walk around the range chatting people up and talking about their guns...and they say it is a 'laser'...a 'hammer'....'no problems at 1 mile'....and I ask if they've hit the 1 mile target...and they look at me like....'of course I have...it is easy'......then when I dial up the one mile target....miss slight right...dial in...hit...hit....and then ask 'who's next?'.....and they all slink away....or they give me an excuse of they have a new load that is different today and they are just working up some data....or something....yea....they ain't been there yet.
I’ve met people like that!
They’d rather not try and then not look foolish by missing.
I’d rather miss a lot and learn to miss less.

I agree all joking aside. I hit my 1st 1750 last year in the Mojave and everything changed for me. When we go we use the 11” x22” silhouette targets. Now I am in no way talking down to anyone shooting as anyone who shoots is ok in my book. Question was for a new 1 mile range and for that, personally I would rather shoot a man sized target. There are guys who shoot 12” gongs and my hats off t them. Also giys who shoot 4’ x 4’ at 3,000 plus - again that is awesome. If are hitting what you aim at - good enough.
My first hit at 1750 was with my gun smiths 300 Norma Magnum in an AI AX. I have since gotten my own AI AX(something I thought I would never own) and am currently having Mile High make me a 33x barrel. I am fully addicted to ELR now - and pushing a 300 grain bullet at 3200 fps just makes my heart beat faster at the thought. Ill post pics when done.
Thank you - JD
Just think... 10 more yards and you would have hit at 1 mile....
Kidding. I have only ever taken 5 shots at a full size IPSC for a charity shoot with my 24" 6.5 creed having to hold over a fair amount to a chance at it. My hope is that when I get this done for now I will have a 3/8" Full IPSC with a T1000 Hit indicator on it, then I hope to get some 1/4" steel and possibly some 24 or 36" targets out there for the days its a little more sporting with the wind.

Reactions: jasent
I'm more of the belief that I want to make it challenging yet have success. As we have discussed on other threads, target size and wind have a lot to do with hit ratios and having fun. Where we shoot, winds can be very gusty at 10-40 mph over hilly, mountainous terrain. All of our steel is 1/4" AR500; we usually put a 24" square at 1500 (1.6 MOA) or 1760 (1.3 MOA) and 30" plates beyond 1760 (1.7 MOA) out to around 2250 (1.3 MOA). Beyond 2250, we have a 36" (1.6 MOA) plate we use until we hit 3000 and then it's 40" (1.3 MOA) time. Plates are expensive but they will last forever if taken care of.

Our hit ratios vary depending on the wind conditions. There have been days where you might go 2 for 5 on the first string and then 4 for 5 on the second; I've also seen days where you go 1 for 10. I think keeping targets around the 1.5 MOA size (+/-) gives a shooter enough of a challenge and still makes it so you can have success. If you want to challenge yourself, put a 1.5 MOA target out and set a 1 MOA target next to it. Once you've got everything sorted out on the the big guy, shoot the smaller one.

Edited to add - at longer distances it's sometimes difficult to hear impacts on steel so we use the MagnetoSpeed T1000 Hit Indicators on targets at 1500 yards and farther; makes life a lot easier knowing when you get a hit vs guessing or not knowing until you collect targets.

Last edited:
I'm more of the belief that I want to make it challenging yet have success. As we have discussed on other threads, target size and wind have a lot to do with hit ratios and having fun. Where we shoot, winds can be very gusty at 10-40 mph over hilly, mountainous terrain. All of our steel is 1/4" AR500; we usually put a 24" square at 1500 (1.6 MOA) or 1760 (1.3 MOA) and 30" plates beyond 1760 (1.7 MOA) out to around 2250 (1.3 MOA). Beyond 2250, we have a 36" (1.6 MOA) plate we use until we hit 3000 and then it's 40" (1.3 MOA) time. Plates are expensive but they will last forever if taken care of.

Our hit ratios vary depending on the wind conditions. There have been days where you might go 2 for 5 on the first string and then 4 for 5 on the second; I've also seen days where you go 1 for 10. I think keeping targets around the 1.5 MOA size (+/-) gives a shooter enough of a challenge and still makes it so you can have success. If you want to challenge yourself, put a 1.5 MOA target out and set a 1 MOA target next to it. Once you've got everything sorted out on the the big guy, shoot the smaller one.
I agree. On my place since I am really the only one that is setup to shoot long range I will have just as you say, targets that are 1 MOA and 2 MOA at the same distance. Get smacking the 2 MOA then test yourself on the 1 MOA target. I think I will also be adding 12" targets at around 200-500 range so people that are more the hunting crowd I might be out with can have a chance to hit some steel with a little Kentucky Windage. I probably should get some even larger targets but as you said, it gets expensive when you make the jump up to 24 and 36" targets. The 12" size seems good for most vitals on NA game and will help give me the reality they need for what they might be capable of when trying to hit those size plates.

Reactions: Sig Marine
I like 1-1.25 moa targets.
My mile target is a 24”x24” 1/4 mild steel square.
338’s slightly cups it over time but I just reverse it occasionally.
Here’s me shooting it today, I need to hang it better.

At 1200- 1500 1/4 AR500 works well

I just ordered a 30”x30” for 2300 yards, 3/16 mild steel.

Please tell me that video is of the rifle being shot from a sled. If not, please tell me your secrets to holding that still with no reticle movement @1750!

• Haha
Reactions: 1moaoff
A big target at longer distances will give you an idea how close your wind and ranging techniques are to desired point of impact.

Sure, a hit might be "Too easy" -- but as many have written above, if you can't spot and see how far off you missed (even if it's just a puff or splash of dust or gravel) you will waste time, money (ammo, reloading components, and barrel life), and patience trying to hit center.

This youngster hit this target at 1300 yards+ on his 23rd birthday. Even the thigh hit gives you some information (first round from a five-shot magazine -- there are five hits on-target):

DSC00549.JPG

Last edited:
Buy smaller targets and overlap them, lots cheaper easier to move, just takes some thinking on how to mount them.

Iol

Last edited: