• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Settle our bet. How do you score this? 300 yard F/TR target

loudandproud

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 19, 2014
    Carlisle, PA
    Just shot my first "course of fire" for practice tonight with my savage against a buddy of mine.

He scored a 196-5x.

How do you score a target if the lead "ring" of the bullet doesn't break the ring, but the tears in the paper do? Do you find center and measure outwards then?

Hole in question is the upper left 9/10 ring shot.

My buddy and I got five bucks on this. Im counting that as a 10 ring hit... then I get the X's for tiebreaker. :p

10653372_10152927077413888_3377433592680780536_n.jpg

Typically, if you can see any paper between the hole and the ring it's the lesser value. If it touches the ring even slightly it's the higher value. I usually give the benefit of doubt, as well.

The scoring ring is a circular pane of glass. Anything that breaks the glass scores the inner value. I correlate this to scoring a footbal TD.

We shoot 10 on two different target's,,, it makes scoring easier and thing are less cluttered. Good shooting by the way to both of ya!

Since it took you 25:16 to fire your 20 rounds, string time would have expired 3 minutes and 16 seconds before you got done. I'd say you'd have saved at least 2 rounds in a match, so probably score 170-something?

Since it took you 25:16 to fire your 20 rounds, string time would have expired 3 minutes and 16 seconds before you got done. I'd say you'd have saved at least 2 rounds in a match, so probably score 170-something?

170 something? How so? We were practicing for the Towanda shoot so we didn't rush it (30 minutes per 20 shots). My barrel was cool enough I probably could have shot it in 15-18 minutes without running into any serious issues. I was mainly stringing it out to avoid heat off the barrel blurring my sight picture. I don't know how anyone could actually sit and let themselves knowingly run out of time.

Last edited:
    The tear is immaterial, notice the long tears on some of the other holes. if there is white/black between the soot ring (not lead) and the bull, it's a 9. If not, it's a 10.

Good deal! Thanks for the info guys!.

Also... what would be a better target backing for regular paper targets (printed) that would keep the holes from ripping out so bad?

ICFRA Ruling...if ya buddy was butts officer ;) your outta luck

F12.7. When a shot touches the line between two divisions of the target, the competitor will be
    credited with the higher value. In case of doubt a gauge of 7.82mm diameter (=0.308 inches)
    will be used (regardless of the actual calibre in use) to determine the value of the shot. The
    ruling by a Butt Officer will be final.

I use the corrugated plastic like they use for campaign signs as a target backer. If you can find any sign, you can buy a sheet of it from Home Depot. When that gets shot out I use pieces of corrugated cardboard that I staple to my plastic target backer. The cardboard is free, since I usually cut up boxes from shipments I have received (MidwayUSA boxes work well). The plastic corrugated is still strong enough to give my target frame stability even though it has been shot through at least 2,500 times.

On that one, I see white, you'd probably have gotten a 9 from me. If it was late in a string and you were clean up to that point, then I might have called for another opinion before I sent it up. Typically at the nationals or the worlds the instructions in the pits are that pullers are not to use templates to determine score. If it's that close you have to call for a pits officer. The whole time the target is in the pits, and the shooter is wondering wtf is wring and why the target isn't back in the air all the while the condition is changing.

Now with that said, on a real F-class target that would be looking for the hole to touch the white ring between the 9/10 and not the white on black you see there and it may have looked different.

I believe that 30 cal rule in international shooting is different to the rule in NRA shooting, in NRA shooting you get the hole, not the hole if you were shooting a 308 instead of a 223.