• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Several Noob questions.

YJSONLY

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2014
North Florida
Ok I have a 223 savage fluted model 112 gun (I think 1 in 9). No glass (working on that now)
I am a noob. dabbling in this whole long range stuff. Not Needing the BEST or most expensive stuff or try to shoot F class or anything. Just want to make sure that what I am doing I am getting some stuff correct. :cool:
Couple questions.

I have bought some Hornady Match 75 grain good ammo? If not what ammo for shooting that I can buy?I have read that depending on the twist it matters what grain to use.

Bipod. I can not decide which Harris bi pod that I need... the 6-9 or the 9-13? Swivel (if this route I will get the stop lock)? and with or without notched legs?

a 6-9 swivel with notched legs and a pod lock is good the 9-13 will be a little tall for shooting prone or from a bench just my opinion. I have a 308 and a 243 both with the 6-9 that works for me.

The 1:9 wil probably shoot the 75 grain bullets ok. There's only one way to find out. I would go with the 6-9 bipod.

What range are you looking to shoot? If you're sticking to less than 200 yards, 55 grain would work fine, but for longer ranges, I would stick with a heavier bullet like the 69 or 75 grain pills.

What range are you looking to shoot? If you're sticking to less than 200 yards, 55 grain would work fine, but for longer ranges, I would stick with a heavier bullet like the 69 or 75 grain pills.

I want the ability to shoot past 200. So I will stay with heavier then. And with my hunting rifles ( 243 and 270) I shoot Hornady. Reason why I picked these as my local gun store had them.

I'm not sure where you're at, but my local Scheels has about fifty different types of 223 ammo on the shelves right now. Believe it or not, the PMC X-TAC 55 grain ammo shoots pretty well out of my AR. For the price, it's hard to beat it.

You may want to look into black hills ammo. I have shot several types of ammo out of my 9tw savage and they do shoot good for a factory barrel. The advice of the lower bipod will save you a sore neck after a good day at the range. Also look into a rear bag to compliment the bipod.

Welcome to the hide.

You may want to look into black hills ammo. I have shot several types of ammo out of my 9tw savage and they do shoot good for a factory barrel. The advice of the lower bipod will save you a sore neck after a good day at the range. Also look into a rear bag to compliment the bipod.

Welcome to the hide.

Have rear rest on the list. Will look into black hill. I mainly just bought decent ammo. My FIL has a WHOLE reload set (Dillon set) sitting in boxes until this fall when it cools off in the shed (FL heat). So I will be having to learn some hand load combos.

have a Savage 112. 223 flat rear. Need a new scope base for my Vortex scope 4-16 Viper HS. Do I need to get 20 Moa? And who would be a decent mount without breaking the bank. This is going to be a training wheel gun.

I find a 6-9" bipod to be fine on a bench, but too low for me prone. I had to go to a 9-13" for prone.