• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sexiest 223 Ever

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
Follow this link to see the finest example of custom rifle building craftmanship I've ever seen.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/3251015831

I know it does not fit the standard example of tactical weapon discussed on this forum; however, I can't imagine any serious rifle afficianado who would not appreciate this stick.

PURE SEX
grin.gif

Re: Sexiest 223 Ever

Probably one of the top 10 rifles I've ever seen pictures of.

Of course, it'd look better with a Hensoldt on it, but that might appear a bit silly.

I have a feeling that rifle makes mine look inexpensive.

That wood is nice but those mausers always look a little wierd to me after being sporterized....like the forend is to short and it doesn't quite balance out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty, still an unusable safe queen....</div></div>
I PM'd the proud owner to ask about the work and he definately plans on taking this beauty hunting - how cool is that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty, still an unusable safe queen....</div></div>
I PM'd the proud owner to ask about the work and he definately plans on taking this beauty hunting - how cool is that! </div></div>

What he shell out for that thing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I PM'd the proud owner to ask about the work and he definately plans on taking this beauty hunting - how cool is that!</div></div>
So I suppose the next logical step would be Krylon then, right
laugh.gif
?

I'd be interested in knowing what the OD of the barrel is. It would weigh less if it could be bumped up to .26 cal. Might make owning a 6.5 Grendel (or whatever the PC non-licensed version is) worthwhile in that package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty, still an unusable safe queen....</div></div>
I PM'd the proud owner to ask about the work and he definately plans on taking this beauty hunting - how cool is that! </div></div>

What he shell out for that thing? </div></div>
I don't have a $ figure for this particular build - but you can be sure it was not cheap. I've talked with some of the craftsman that worked on this rifle about a custom build for myself and it gets expensive very quickly. Work at this level can take two or three years easy.

I attended the SCI Convention this year and stuck out to the custom firearm builders/engravers show down the street. The craftsmanship is off the charts. That being said, I did not meet a single custom builder that would not be pissed if his gun was not going to be hunted. They are very unhappy if one of their guns becomes a safe queen. I've communicated with several individuals that own these types of rifles and they are all shooters. The rifles are just as accurate as they are beautiful.

If I had to guess, this is a $20K+ stick.

I can appreciate the workmanship that goes into a piece like this and I love looking at them. However I would have trouble owning one. I am just too hard on my stuff to take a rifle like that afield. I would be much more at home with a battle worn 1903.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't have a $ figure for this particular build - but you can be sure it was not cheap. I've talked with some of the craftsma worked on this rifle about a custom build for myself and it gets expensive very quickly. Work at this level can take two or three years easy.

I attended the SCI Convention this year and stuck out to the custom firearm builders/engravers show down the street. The craftsmanship is off the charts. That being said, I did not meet a single custom builder that would not be pissed if his gun was not going to be hunted. They are very unhappy if one of their guns becomes a safe queen. I've communicated with several individuals that own these types of rifles and they are all shooters. The rifles are just as accurate as they are beautiful.

If I had to guess, this is a $20K+ stick. </div></div>

Ok, then why in the world would anybody put a Leupold on a $20k rifle? I mean C'MON why not a SB Short Dot, Zeiss 1-4x something along those lines? Boggles my mind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I had to guess, this is a $20K+ stick. </div></div>

IT AINT THAT NICE!

Would have looked cooler if it had an old steel blued Hensoldt scope or something like that.

I have a soft spot for stocks of the calibre...

I would be too scared to take it out on the field tho..

Any verdict on the actuall project costs?

Definitely a thing of beauty and an example of some seriously fine craftsmanship!!

My only problem with rifles like that (specifically with the high grade, high gloss stock) is that it isn't of much use to me because I shoot all my guns and I'm afraid that one would be a prize safe queen that didn't leave the house. I'd be miserable and really hate myself the first scratch or ding I put on the thing which wouldn't take me an hour on the range (and probably less in the field).

I wish it were mine..........

so I could sell it and buy like 2 GAPS, an APA and another rifle from R&D
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That wood is nice but those mausers always look a little wierd to me after being sporterized....like the forend is to short and it doesn't quite balance out.

</div></div>

It grows on you after you own a couple and you get to like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Follow this link to see the finest example of custom rifle building craftmanship I've ever seen.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/3251015831

I know it does not fit the standard example of tactical weapon discussed on this forum; however, I can't imagine any serious rifle afficianado who would not appreciate this stick.

PURE SEX
grin.gif
</div></div>
I love Bastogne Walnut, and while it is a custom that rifle has nothing on my Kimber of Oregon Model 84B Super America in .223, which has the optional factory-installed 3-position Winchester-style wing safety. It's Claro Walnut stock has tiger stipes and flames at 90 degrees to each other. I'll have to shoot some photos and post them sometime.

Keith