• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SFP Holdoffs?

Chilo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
Colorado
I've got a SFP 4.5 - 14 Leupold with a TMR Reticle. I know that for it to be accurate as a milling reticle, it must be on 14 power. I had to dispatch some problem predators (4 legged kind) at the ranch yesterday and in order to hit running targets, I had the power turned down to 4.5.

Does anyone know how much a TMR reticle is actually representing at 4.5 power? I suppose that each scope will be slightly different, but I'm not talking about precision shooting here. Something to get me in the ball-park until I can get it on paper and calculate it specifically.

The AR sure made this project a little easier. I was able to read my hits and adjust fire, and connect. (<span style="text-decoration: underline">Believe the Bullet</span>, thanks online training!) After a short sprint (100 yds), and the adrenalin from the surprise, and the wind...this was tough!

Anyway...if anyone has already done this type of test, I'd love to see your results.

Thanks

Re: SFP Holdoffs?

The zoom ratio is not quite precisely 3:1 - if it were, with the upper power 14, the lower power would be 4.67 rather than 4.5.

But it's not far off. That means with the power turned down, each mil covers about 3 mils worth of the field of view.

At the power where the mils are correct, a target moving one MPH across the field of view requires about 0.6 mils of lead. At the lower power, then, a one MPH mover requires about 0.2 mils of lead.

So, if the 'yote or other predator were running at about 10 mph, you'd need about 2 mils of lead at the lower power. For other speeds, you can do the math.

The reticle may be a bit hard to read at that power. If you want to work at half power, just cut in half whatever lead you'd need at full power.

If you want to calibrate your scope at half power, read Optically Checking Rifle Scopes.

Re: SFP Holdoffs?

Thanks Lindy, I knew that you'd probably have the answer. Much appreciated!