• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SFP POI shift?

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
What kind of point of impact shifts will I see when using my Nightforce 2.5-10 which is a second focal plane scope? If I'm shooting at 100m and say I'm shooting .223 out of an 18'' barrel what kind of impact am I likely to see between 2.5x and 10x magnification? How much would I see between 2.5x and 10x at 300m or 600m? This is a question that I've not been able to test yet and have had great curiosity about.

Re: SFP POI shift?

Then what is the real difference between SFP and FFP scopes?

The difference comes in if you have a reticle like say an npr1 or mildot. With a SFP the center of your reticle will stay zeroed at any power but lets say you have a mildot. The mildots will only be equal to one mil at a certain power setting. Lets say 10x which is prob the case with your scope. If your set at 10x those dots are worth exactly 1 mil, if you are set at any other power they are not because as you increase or decrease the size of the image the reticle stays the same size. With a FFP the reticle increases and decreases with the image so your subtensions on your reticle stay true at any power setting

Ah I see. Thank you. So I have the NPR recticle that uses MOA's as measurement. I assume then that they are only at correct value when used at the full 10x power.

A high quality SFP scope shouldn't see any between power deviation as it is usually tested for and built in a manner that ensures there is no shift. I know that Nightforce does check for this during their inspections of each scope.

Lesser quality scopes can and sometimes do have some between power deviation as it takes time and money to ensure it doesn't take place. The deviation comes from the erector assembly where the glass is moving back and forth to create the variable magnification. If the erector assembly isn't perfectly manufactured and the lenses indexed you'll get the deviation at different magnification. This is only an issue in SFP scopes because the reticle is behind the erector assembly which allows for the misalignment. FFP optics have the reticle in front of the erector assembly so it is independent of the erector assembly positioning in regards to any potential deviation between magnification.

In short, there is a reason you spend more on good optics.. it prevents little issues like between power deviation.

-Sean