• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sgt York, 2020d

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So I am watching Sgt York on TCM this evening and when Alvin stumbles into church during the storm, it struck me.

Sgt York the movie, is not the story of Alvin York, it’s the story of the Second Amendment.

When the rifle explodes, and drops to the ground, the music starts to play. Its church music calling back to his dear departed friend. He loses a part of himself in that moment and only God can heal him.

in the beginning of the movie, before the war, it revolves around the rifle. It puts food on the table, it wins him the cow which he donates for a shoot off collecting what would have been enough money to buy a plot of land. Look at the competition, he collects $26 dollars and you hear a few lament, they didn’t have the $1 to enter. A few scenes later, count the people in church, and reference back to the attendance where they shot. The rifle was about community, it makes a poor man-richer, a not so smart man, practical. When they questioned his usefulnes, it gave him rank with a position of authority. It equalizes all man, it’s the American dream.

Sgt York tells a deeply American story, how the rifle, held in good working order is revered. How a craftsman wielding a tool can succeed amid doubt.

That was my take on Sgt York tonight, feel free to disagree... 😜

That's cool. The parts I remember were a muzzle loader, a turkey and a 1911 but I haven't seen it in a coons age so I'll watch it again. Thanks

Excellent analysis. The quintessential American. Real equality, self directed, and used to great effect. Available to all. Saying in essence, with this tool, you that would do harm to me will be resisted, me and mine protected and kept safe. With this tool I assert my right to exist as an equal to all.

The rifle also makes everyone equal and keeps everyone free
    Reference the Battle of Athens, TN

Sgt York is an excellent movie and worth rewatching periodically.

Reactions: BLEE
    Arms of equal quality/capability are all that keep us from being abused by our government.

The rifle represents the self reliant character of the American.

As recently as the 70s with movies like "Jeremiah Johnson" firearm useage could be portrayed as beneficial.

Few movies these days portray firearms as the means to defend good and for good to prevail in a dangerous world. Gun use in movies today tends to be crime related, excessive and intended to cause the viewer to recoil in disgust.

The story on which "The Revenant" was based is supposed to be the story of a mans search for his stolen means of safety and production - his rifle - but Hollywood couldnt bring itself to portray the usefulness of firearms - they invented the murder of Glass' son as the central plot.

Our propaganda of today differs greatly from the propaganda of the past.

"Sgt York" was propaganda but it was the propaganda of duty, self reliance and Patriotism.

So I am watching Sgt York on TCM this evening and when Alvin stumbles into church during the storm, it struck me.

Sgt York the movie, is not the story of Alvin York, it’s the story of the Second Amendment.

When the rifle explodes, and drops to the ground, the music starts to play. Its church music calling back to his dear departed friend. He loses a part of himself in that moment and only God can heal him.

in the beginning of the movie, before the war, it revolves around the rifle. It puts food on the table, it wins him the cow which he donates for a shoot off collecting what would have been enough money to buy a plot of land. Look at the competition, he collects $26 dollars and you hear a few lament, they didn’t have the $1 to enter. A few scenes later, count the people in church, and reference back to the attendance where they shot. The rifle was about community, it makes a poor man-richer, a not so smart man, practical. When they questioned his usefulnes, it gave him rank with a position of authority. It equalizes all man, it’s the American dream.

Sgt York tells a deeply American story, how the rifle, held in good working order is revered. How a craftsman wielding a tool can succeed amid doubt.

I believe that the correct narrative terminology is that Sgt York is the "hero" and that the rifle is his "guide". Or at least that was my takeway from Donald Miller's marketing book "Building a Story Brand".

Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, not a marketing guy. Don't take marketing advice from an engineer.

Well I certainly won't disagree, I love that movie and your interpretation is spot on, however our friends on the other side view our precious 2nd Amendment the same way as the message in the movie, dated and irrelevant in modern day society.

Such a great movie. Would love to see a modern re-boot but most of the Hollywood sewage would never allow such a powerful message to infect their ideology.

And I thought I was the only philosopher on the Hide. ;)

Well put LL.

Reactions: Bender
    Excellent movie, I watched it way too many times as a kid and almost had it memorized.

Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, not a marketing guy. Don't take marketing advice from an engineer.

I'll take it over engineering advice from a marketer. I just wish so many companies would follow suit.

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate
    Just FYI, York used a M1917 rifle in the war. The muzzleloading rifles used in that movie were originals bought from TN.

The story of Sergeant Alvin York is about a man of lowly means, who humbled himself further before God. He submitted to God, to become an instrument of God. Further, it is a testament to what God will do with a man so committed and obedient.

Sgt. York continued in that mindset throughout the rest of his life.

Reactions: BLEE

Great write up. Imagine the heads that would spin if a kid turned this in for a school paper!

Is this the movie where he gets the turkey at the turkey shoot using his whistle as a turkey call? Or is the the Big Red 1?

Wow, such depth. How many beers in where you? ;)

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Wow, such depth. How many beers in where you? ;)
    And why was he watching an Army movie on the USMC birthday? Shouldn’t he have been watching The Sands of Iwo Jima or Heartbreak Ridge or Jarhead or something?

Sirhr

PS. In the movie, they have York using a Luger. In reality, he used a 1911.

PPS. My favorite scene is still York on the range that first time. Bullseye... Bullseye...

• Haha
    Reactions: long range sponge
    OP, this isn't posted in the right section. :LOL:

Can't believe NOBODY else was stupid enough to post this before moi. 😂

Don't flame me Bro. lmao GREAT MOVIE! Can't even think of how many times I've watched it. And TCM? The absolute best channel outta all 500 or however many everyone has. I don't park my butt in front of the Boob Tube very often, but TCM and Curse of Oak Island own me. 💪