• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SH will be a Guest of Leupold Tactical in OR

Re: SH will be a Guest of Leupold Tactical in OR

Last I was in Phoenix real estate company took us to the Golden Trough for lunch, I'd take Montys or Acropolis over that all day even with the strippers I saw at Acropolis lol.

As far as what to ask them I think that's been well gone over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I feel like we are on the road to recovery.
smile.gif
</div></div>An invite is good. But the proof is in the product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously, who the hell will spend 3500-4000 on a Leupold when you can get S&B, Hensoldt, etc for less? </div></div>

Hey, it's only 3k on Midway AND you get the Horror Vision rectical!

In all fairness there is no reason why their Mark 2 line couldn't be competing with the Vortex PST's and their Mark 4 competing with the likes of Nighforce, IOR, etc. They just choose not to.

This is good, we need more competition in the tactical scope market, as it can only help bring prices down and encourage R&D. I've noticed a difference in dealing with their Military sales department recently, six months ago I couldn't get a response to email or anyone to pick up the phone---the last several times I've inquired have been much better.

I noticed a bunch of top level Job openings there last spring, and I think they may have finally decided to invest in the future.

I think this opurtunity is great...obivously this site has some pull. Leupold is so well known, but, imho...too damn over priced....I know i surely look at other scope manufacturers before Leupold and 9.9:10, I buy other...just my 2 cents.

Frank,

If you can get the point across that their interval of acceptable reticle cant is far too wide that would be refreshing. I know it doesn't matter as much to the hunting community by and large, but when using hold overs at distance it makes for trouble.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jason said something about taking me to Mortons, but I don't know what that is, sounds yummy though. </div></div>

Please also ask some of the tough questions. It might be great to understand the hows and whys of some of the community's biggest pet peeves (like canted reticle) and its a great opportunity for them to give a no BS answer for what the roadmap is to look at these kinds of things and re-evaluate thier QC standards.

It would be great to see a return to the quality of yore with Leupold when having a Mark 4 something or other actually meant something positive.

hey that's great you going through the Leu. campus. Try to get a few pics of all or some of the in-house equipment and some of the production line/assembly when going through the buildings.
Last couple times I took the tour walk. I was " Told " No Pictures/Camera & to put it away . Not allowed . I tried to get some to Post pics. a few year ago with all the China bashing threads but was a lost cause with there No-Pic. policy.

Also . 'maybe' you can hint to them that a MOA or IPHY subtention Ret. is not impossible & if they make it , it will sell .
edit to add:
The " Acrop " (Acropolis) is ok but Really 'Union Jacks' has the best Pole Shows with great/Huge import beer selection.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">edit to add:
The " Acrop " (Acropolis) is ok but Really 'Union Jacks' has the best Pole Shows with great/Huge import beer selection.
wink.gif

. </div></div>

I went there on my last trip to portland. I got drug there kicking and screaming because I didn't give Portland enough credit. It's not an issue anymore I feel I owe Portland an apology so as my pentance I will visit union jacks and the acropolis... often

A dumbed down verion of the CQBSS would be nice.

By dumbed down I mean keep the features to a minimum, no fancy knobs plain old milrads w/o the locking gizmo will suit most just fine . Skip the Horus stick with TMR and if it helps keep cost down go to a smaller tube.

Bottom line I think the one who can bring a 1-8 daylight visible illiminated optic to market with a price point in the 1500.00 range would make a killing.

All of these new 308 AR's are creating alot of buzz but the do everything optic to go with the do everything rifles just arent out there.

the stupid pricing will go away once the stimulus money from homeland security that gets earmarked for LE equipment upgrades lapses .

its a post Katrina kinda thing...................

Frank,

bring a competitors scope, it doesn't matter which one. Show them what a box test is, since they apparently don't know. Demonstrate ( you are very good at that ) what the desired results are.

I actaully like the reticle choices, what can I say I like Horus reticles too, the idea that the production guys can make a custom shop like product at a reasonable price, should sell lots of scopes for them. IF they don't, their competitors are.....

Back to the strippers for a sec..... as my buddy Shaughnessy says " Never mind the ass, tits or legs, I like women with low self esteem, I can talk them into anything!".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey that's great you going through the Leu. campus. Try to get a few pics of all or some of the in-house equipment and some of the production line/assembly when going through the buildings.
Last couple times I took the tour walk. I was " Told " No Pictures/Camera & to put it away . Not allowed . I tried to get some to Post pics. a few year ago with all the China bashing threads but was a lost cause with there No-Pic. policy.

Also . 'maybe' you can hint to them that a MOA or IPHY subtention Ret. is not impossible & if they make it , it will sell .
edit to add:
wink.gif

.</div></div>

My knee jerk thought on this post was "yeah right! like they are just going to offer open ended chances to capture production info and publish for competitors" but on further reflection, I think in a certain context it has merit.

It might be worth talking to thier PR guy and saying can we do it or can you do it for us? Take one of the most popular tactical products they offer. Maybe something they are trying to promote in the market. Follow it from the assemblies they import through the line to the point that it walks out the door.

They would of course have a chance to help arrange the photos to avoid showing any secret sauce but it would be interesting content and could definitely help thier PR story of here is why things are better now and potentially also serve as a mini-pump for whatever product line they do this with.

Union Jacks hmmmm . . . now this could be an internet forum meet-up that I might actually want to attend.

It would be nice if Leupold could do a little more for their brand. They haven't had the best reputation lately. I want to support a local business but the internet noise keeps me away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They would of course have a chance to help arrange the photos to avoid showing any secret sauce</div></div>

lol what secret sauce? Maybe the 1-8 but other than that they don't make anything special.

As far as manufacturing I bet some are assembled here, some not, which is pretty standard these days especially with such a wide product line.

First Lowlight does a scope review with the glass mounted in a LaRue mount. Now a trip to Leupold. My entire world has come <span style="font-style: italic">crashing down</span> (LOL).

My .02 on Leupold - if the vast majority of shooters (hunters) at my range are any indication, Leupold is doing just fine in that market. However, I think they could be a lot more competitive in other areas if they could make a few changes to some of their Mark ER/T and LR/T scopes that are currently in the $1000-$1500 price range and still market them in that price range. Specifically:

1) mil turrets as a standard feature or option
2) greater windage/elevation adjustment range
3) open up the TMR reticle sight picture; it's too busy IMO

All Leupold has to do to learn how to improve sales and or their products is to simply read this thread. Aren't they allowed to look at SH?

I hope you're able to give them a good piece of our "collective" minds on their products. I have a hard time believing that they're THAT clueless which makes me thinks they're not really listening. I guess we'll see what happens...

It would also be nice if they would disclose where their scopes are being manufactured. Honesty would go a long way here. If Vortex can do it, Leupold can too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And speaking the obvious, if they're taking you to Morton's they want something. I went to Morton's once on the company's tab. Honestly, I felt so guilty for spending that much money on a steak I swore to myself I'd never do it again - and I never did. Just sayin' </div></div>

Dude I think he said Jasonk one of the mods here is taking him (hes in OrWashington), not Loopy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also . 'maybe' you can hint to them that a MOA or IPHY subtention Ret. is not impossible & if they make it , it will sell .
</div></div>

+1 on a IPHY or MOA ret., as long as it's level.

They do in-house laser etching but I think they just don't care . I been waiting for a several years on the IPHY/moa Reticule Pipe Dream from them .

IPHY is my MOST favorite Ret. & I LOVE The HELL out my usoptic MDMOA Ret. . But I do have a newer mk4 FFP with a TMR & I would Retro fit a IPHY Reticule from Leu. in a heartbeat if they offered one-up .

Also I ran into a sales rep. last year @ a match who made the comment that . ..." It was impossible & you could not see it, as the subtentions would be to small".

yes i would much prefer IPHY, but could deal with MOA as long as the knobs are the same, wich might be asking to much. Like others have said, this is step in the right direction.

[/quote]That's great to hear. Will be looking forward to hear what happens.

Mike @ CST [/quote]

X2
cool.gif

On the surface this seems like great news, however the more I think about it it just doesn't make a ton of sense.

If Leupold wants to know what they are doing wrong they don't need to have a sit down with LL. All they need to do is read around on this forum.

Example, In the recent past they have come out with a ~$4k 1-10 power that has been regarded as a practical joke by many due to its price. (This after they have been lamented over and over for scope prices vs. quality.) It was obviously made for government contracts so that stands as a testament to them sticking to their old tricks.

I'll gladly insert foot in mouth if I'm wrong as I'd love to see Leupold re-rise to the status that they once held but I'm not holding my breath.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the surface this seems like great news, however the more I think about it it just doesn't make a ton of sense.

If Leupold wants to know what they are doing wrong they don't need to have a sit down with LL. All they need to do is read around on this forum.

Example, In the recent past they have come out with a ~$4k 1-10 power that has been regarded as a practical joke by many due to its price. (This after they have been lamented over and over for scope prices vs. quality.) It was obviously made for government contracts so that stands as a testament to them sticking to their old tricks.

I'll gladly insert foot in mouth if I'm wrong as I'd love to see Leupold re-rise to the status that they once held but I'm not holding my breath.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

</div></div>
I agree with most of what you have said and I figure the reason they want Frank to go to their factory is because they have read so many bad things on this web site. To ask what is wrong and for help on how to make things better is a great step. They could have simply went to ARFCOM and tried to make a joke out of everyone who didn't like their product like some of the other gun type companies have, but they showed a level of maturity by asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is a trap; be careful!
grin.gif
</div></div>
Wouldn't want you dissapearing on us LowLight, make sure you keep an exit in sight at all times!

Tag for results of trips and questions. Hopefully they can explain why their products have fallen in quality and their prie tags have risen...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh-L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell them I want a fixed 10x with M5 knobs and TMR reticle.... For $600 </div></div>

I'll take 2...

Go OREGON!!!!

It'd be nice to see the sit down result in the restoration of Loopy's once vaunted position. As a state - we need the money.

Good luck

IT'S A TRAP!!

its_a_trap.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IT'S A TRAP!!

its_a_trap.jpg
</div></div>

Oh fuck, my eyes are bleeding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is a trap; be careful!
grin.gif
</div></div>
Wouldn't want you dissapearing on us LowLight, make sure you keep an exit in sight at all times!</div></div>

lowlight has gone down to his local kennel to have a chip inserted......then he can be tracked from a satellite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is a trap; be careful!
grin.gif
</div></div>
Wouldn't want you dissapearing on us LowLight, make sure you keep an exit in sight at all times!</div></div>

lowlight has gone down to his local kennel to have a chip inserted......then he can be tracked from a satellite </div></div>
That chip may track to one of those Leupy "sweatshops" in Asia.
grin.gif
I can see it now; on the bottom of the scope; "Inspected by LL."
laugh.gif
Then you'll have someone produce fakes w/ "Inspected by RR." sticker on the bottom; Inspected by Rowrite!!!
laugh.gif

Show Loopy this thread so they can 'feel the love'.

Tell them that making a scope that is durable, tracks true, has a plum and square ret, has rets and features that we would like, and is at price point that is appropriate actually increases their market share amongst the FUDs in the long term.

Good luck

I don't think I am alone in saying this but I think Leupold have completely lost the plot. Their Mk 4 scopes now cost almost the same as NXS - you just have to look around the various forums to see what people are buying, and it ain't Leupold given the choice at that price point. Furthermore, their new line of $3k - $4k scopes is laughable when you consider they are pricing these scopes at above what the highend manufacturers are charging for similar. Whoever is running Leupold's product marketing should get canned or if not sent back to school to take Marketing 101.

To get back OFF track the Acropolis is a magical place. Trust me when I say you have never been to a place like it. I'm with Torfin. It need's to happen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acropolis is a magical place</div></div>

LOL no it's not it's a ****hole with decent greasy-spoon cafe type steaks.

Offer FFP scopes with M5 turrets with illuminated TMR reticle on something in the ~3 - ~18 and ~5 - ~25 power ranges with decent adjustment range. In order to make sales to the very large group of people that will buy based on appearance it probably needs to be a 34mm tube.

Recognize that any tactical optic requires better quality control than their lower end hunting optics.

Realize that in order for this market to try them out and purchase in real numbers they need to come in at a lower price than the competition. There is no reason for us to act as their beta tester if they come in at Nightforce prices. We know we could resell a used Vortex Razor HD or Nightforce NXS for significantly higher percentage of the MAP than a similar Leupold.

They have chance to become the dominate player in the tactical market. It would require them to come in with Nightforce NXS F1 equivalents at no more than $1,600 MSRP and $1,350 or less street pricing for at least a couple years. Leupold needs to realize their competitive advantage will have to be economies of scale resulting in cost/performance ratios that Nighforce, Vortex and S&B can't match.

Lastly Leupold should extend their discount program from fed/military to local law enforcement. I have never met a Special Agent who had to purchase their own DMR or precision optics. Most federal agencies have adequate budgets to equip their agents. Many local agencies do not supply decent optics and we end up purchasing with personal funds.

Ignoring the obvious ethical reasons to offer the discount to local LE, many of us are gun enthusiasts and act as unpaid ambassadors to the general public. The goodwill generated would do much to repair their reputation in the tactical community.

Thanks,
224Man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Acropolis is a magical place</div></div>

LOL no it's not it's a ****hole with decent greasy-spoon cafe type steaks.

</div></div>

Yeah...... that's right. I guess you're used to bullet buttons, and 10rnd mag limits so i think you're perception of "decent" is a little skewed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think this is awesome, and the fact they reached out speaks volumes, I feel like we are on the road to recovery.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I hope you're right. I used to love Leupold, and I would like to again. However, I need to see some real effort on their part to produce something more competitive. I know you'll do a great job at getting the info to them that they really need. I just hope they listen. With so many good alternatives on the market, Leupold had better listen and heed the feedback.

The meeting is Monday, Lowlight has been kind enough to include me, I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and we're going to Leupold too
laugh.gif

Lots of luck and have fun. Alot of us envy you right
about now.

That is great!!!

More FFP mil/mil with illum in 6.5-25X would be great!
Work on a little more elevation into there and all is good in the world!

When I put "zero stop" into the Leupold website search bar I get:
Search for "zero stop" returned 0 results.

I don't see any mention of zero stop in their features or specs.

I wonder if the Leupold marketing people even know what a zero stop is?

Leupold scopes are nice lightweight scopes with decent glass. They are just letting the other mfgs come and get the tactical market. Sort of seems like they don't care. Maybe they can turn it around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I put "zero stop" into the Leupold website search bar I get:
Search for "zero stop" returned 0 results.

I don't see any mention of zero stop in their features or specs.

I wonder if the Leupold marketing people even know what a zero stop is?

Leupold scopes are nice lightweight scopes with decent glass. They are just letting the other mfgs come and get the tactical market. Sort of seems like they don't care. Maybe they can turn it around. </div></div>
Good point.
Zero stop with the ERT's would be nice!!!

Thats why i was so disappointed about the new 3 grand mark 4s. 3 grand and still no zero stop?? Still looking forward to hearing how the trip goes though.