• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Shade tree Mechanic bedding job" for my 6.5 SAUM hunter (Pic Heavy)

I know next to nothing about building rifles but I know quality craftsmanship when I see it. Outstanding! What style of McM is that?

Looks like an A3 sporter, love mine. If you put flush cups on it Bob I recommend getting the grovtec swivel stud flush cup adapter. I had to use it on the forend because there is so much curvature there, but it works out nice, congrats!

nice work.

Going to be doing the same thing to my 6.5 tomorrow. R700 and a Grey Bull stock. Got a question for you...why do you tape across the bottom & outside edge of the recoil lug? Is the tape special (just happen to notice it was different than the painters tape that you used in the forward area of the recoil lug) Thanks in advance.

nice work.

Going to be doing the same thing to my 6.5 tomorrow. R700 and a Grey Bull stock. Got a question for you...why do you tape across the bottom & outside edge of the recoil lug? Is the tape special (just happen to notice it was different than the painters tape that you used in the forward area of the recoil lug) Thanks in advance.

Thank you for all the kind words fellas, I had a great time doing this! I actually wish I had another one or two to bed right now!! The tape on the sides and bottom of the recoil lug is used to create a .010" gap between the lug & the bedding.

Here is a link to the tape:

.010" PIPE WRAP TAPE | Brownells

Bob, I see you did not bed forward of the recoil lug. I have always bedded 1" forward of the lug. Your reasoning? so that I can learn.

TIA,
Darkop

Bob, I see you did not bed forward of the recoil lug. I have always bedded 1" forward of the lug. Your reasoning? so that I can learn.

TIA,
Darkop

Darkop,

I learned this from Robert Gradous while at his shop. I suppose he does it this way so the barrel is completely free floated.

All the best,

Bob

hello,could you tell me which rings height it is please?
i m looking for a set of ring for a 2.5-10 x32 but don't know which one will work fine!

Very good job, spot on. Like the mini milling / drilling machine. That's a cool bit of kit.

Do you need a mill to do a proper bedding job? Could you use a file or other tool to clean up?

Thanks again for the kind words guys! @ Paul.. R u kidding?!? My bench is a stye!! @ rockbox .. Clean ups can be done with a file also, they just don't look nearly as neat.

You can uses files, exacto knives, etc to do cleanup. Using a mill just gives things uber clean lines. Though you rarely see them once you are done, a clean bedding job is sexy. Did I say that out loud?

So I got to ask, what was the purpose of the millwork in the trigger area of the bottom metal? wider trigger?

Looks great!! Looks like you used marine tex? What did you use for release agent?

Thanks in advance.