• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shame, Seems like a loss of skills....

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Maybe some can argue it shows a lack of judgement too.

Im thinking he was just about to get some crossed rifles and lose that pizza box had he been able to continue his service.

Attack fighter requires discipline but I think there is a certain amount of "fuck it" required too.

Unsure what is right here.

I know the military has zero tolerance for unauthorized aerobatics. I remember a fighter pilot doing a flyover at Fenway in Boston did a barrel roll after passing the stadium he lost his status.

What do pilots think? Chickenshit or necessary in order to maintain discipline in a field where following protocol is life or death?

Last edited:
    Maybe some can argue it shows a lack of judgement too.

Im thinking he was just about to get some crossed rifles and lose that pizza box had he been able to continue his service.

Attack fighter requires discipline but I think there is a certain amount of "fuck it" required to.

Unsure what is right here.

I know the military has zero tolerance for unauthorized aerobatics. I remember a fighter pilot doing a flyover at Fenway in Boston did a barrel roll after passing the stadium he lost his status.

What do pilots think? Chickenshit or necessary in order to maintain discipline in a field where following protocol is life or death?

Not a pilot myself but grew up in the right seat of a 1939 Stinson doing the classic airshow circuit so I've been around a lot of retired military pilots who flew private on the side.

I think it's a little chickenshit but at the same time it's not much different than range safety rules. I get pissed if somebody sweeps me with a muzzle even if I "know" its unloaded.

If you let this go then somebody else will try to push it a little further.

They take these rules seriously so anybody violating them has to know it will go badly for them...

Reactions: pmclaine
    Rules are rules, but it sounds a bit chickenshit as there seems to be a plausible explanation due to other air traffic.

He fucked up now he gets to fly commercial jets and troll the friendly skies in a bus.

So guy draws a dick in the sky and is all good.
    Ghostrider decides the pattern isn't full and someone wants some butt.

R

So guy draws a dick in the sky and is all good.
    Ghostrider decides the pattern isn't full and someone wants some butt.

R

Would you prefer they fire the guy that has the skills to draw sky penis?

Im thinking some written reprimand and both be made to wear Pizza box shooting badges for at least two qualification cycles regardless of their range score.

But that's kind of lenient in a career with zero room for lapses in judgement and thin margins of safety.

Both suffered from not being "legacies" in their service.

Fucken McCain got to crash three planes, take down a Spanish power grid and to me seem to abandon his shipmates in serious time of need in an incident his plane was involved in which almost sank a carrier.

Wow, that brought back a memory, an old memory.

Must have been around 1955 my father for for TWA. His flight path went right over our home so he would call mom a few minutes before take off and we would go out in the yard and watch for him to fly over. He would dip his wings to say hello...this was in the time of DC3's and Martin 404's which I grew up on. Damn is someone didnt report him and he got a reprimand.

Reactions: Crang
    It made the media...had to show discipline.

There was nothing “dangerous” with what he did. The irony is they are trained to fly in combat and land on aircraft carriers. But...a fly by is dangerous. That’s the joke.

He will have awesome interviews at the major airlines and have his pick. Usually Squad Command is the last job you want when you are ready to move on to making money and being home more...far less “dangerous”.

Would you prefer they fire the guy that has the skills to draw sky penis?

Im thinking some written reprimand and both be made to wear Pizza box shooting badges for at least two qualification cycles regardless of their range score.

But that's kind of lenient in a career with zero room for lapses in judgement and thin margins of safety.

Both suffered from not being "legacies" in their service.

Fucken McCain got to crash three planes, take down a Spanish power grid and to me seem to abandon his shipmates in serious time of need in an incident his plane was involved in which almost sank a carrier.
    Not really where I am going.
    I rather they look at the entire service record of our subject and give a slap on the hand
    with a stern talking to the rest of the crew about TopGun acts.

R

Reactions: pmclaine
    I’m curious, how much lower and faster we’re they? Major deviation like 100+ kts?

Being the skipper would be the most glorious and at the same time the most dangerous position imaginable. Getting a command is the worst gauntlet of them all.

Too bad he now has no ride at all, lost his plane and doesn't even have a CAR to get around either!

Not really where I am going.
    I rather they look at the entire service record of our subject and give a slap on the hand
    with a stern talking to the rest of the crew about TopGun acts.

R

My comment was more tongue in cheek than serious.

Reactions: Rthur
    I’m curious, how much lower and faster we’re they? Major deviation like 100+ kts?

Being the skipper would be the most glorious and at the same time the most dangerous position imaginable. Getting a command is the worst gauntlet of them all.

Too bad he now has no ride at all, lost his plane and doesn't even have a CAR to get around either!

Do pilots get a CAR?

Well, I think it’s chickenshit to fire the colonel. Here’s the offending flyover. They do passes lower and faster than this at the BAFB air show.

Looked like a normal fly over , got to be politics involved if they wanted him out. A low fly over to me at least is when the gear is down and the wheels are barely touching .

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
    Fire him or give him a verbal reprimand...they both have the same result in the military...your career is over. The officer corps in all branches is so competitive that your career cannot survive the slightest bad mark. The guidance for promotion boards is to select the "BEST" qualified. Every year fully qualified officers are passed over for promotion and eliminated from the service.

Racist maybe. Dude had a history of being a minority if you noticed from his pic... Total BS that the call would be removal from his position... What would have happened if he had a lighter skin tone and a cooler call sign? Let our warfighters (all services) do their job. If they feel that it is safe to do, then it probably is. How much lower and faster was he going and when was the last calibration of the radar that caught him? I would ask the Judge for a deferment.

The fired Lt. Col. was in the BACK seat. What's he supposed to do? Wrestle with the front seater? Plus the maneuver did not look egregiously dicey on video.

There was something else going on that caused him being fired.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
    My 2 cents as a pilot (former AF fighters)...

The flyover itself doesn’t appear to be anything approaching dangerous, but I think the circumstances are important here. From what I’ve read on other sites, the Skipper had briefed the flyover parameters to the 2-star at a higher altitude and slower speed (like 600’ and 350 kts), then they flew it at 200’ and 500 kts. That may or may not be the real story, but you just can’t do that and expect no repercussions.

Flight discipline is an integral part of being a professional pilot, let alone a military officer. It takes years of experience to develop the wherewithal to know when to push the limits or break the rules in order to complete the mission. A high vis flyover is not one of those times!

Also, take into account that the F-18/C-130 mishap last year (several fatalities), was the result of Flight Discipline issues. So, it’s a high interest item in USMC tactical aviation!

Even if the Skipper was in the backseat, he owns it and is responsible for the consequences. I don’t know if he truly deserves to be canned, but if what I’ve read is remotely correct, it’s not really all that surprising. Plenty of pilots and commanders have been fired or disciplined over the years for similar acts.

The man is a true leader . Very few would take responsibility for the actions of another . Something that is unique to our esteemed military leaders . It's realy easy to say the Buck stops here when the atta boys are be8ng thrown around but when the guillotine comes out stand8ng in and standing up are the mark of a true leader .

I watch a fight jet f16 i believe fly under a bridge that was Like 25 30 feet tops. This was in Washington. It was fuckin wild. Also messed up the fly fishing.

My roommate at IBM School in Chicago, 1968 was a Vietnam Vet B-52 Tail Gunner.

His pilot flew the BUFF under the Golden Gate on their freedom flight back home from 'Nam. Talk about a steel overcast!

He got ragged out on the Tarmac after landing. End of story.

Today's Military is terminally PC, and it shows.

Greg

Reactions: Maggot