• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sharing Load data for 50 BMG

Weapon_50BMG

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 16, 2020
    Michigan
    I don't see it in the pinned posts and tried the search option as well. Does anyone mind sharing some load data (50 BMG) on a variety of loads, from ball to precision projectiles.

Google up FCSA the fifty cal shooters association.

Google up FCSA the fifty cal shooters association.
    Checking them out now, it appears that they have members only forum. Maybe they share some load data within there? I have (3) different loading manuals and they each have some limited info in them. I just hoping to get some others experiences with different loads. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here on the Hide and was trying to avoid joining another website... that said I guess it doesn't hurt to add myself over there too.

When I was setting up to reload for the 50 I learned a lot from them. It was many years ago, but it takes more than load data. You may be further along than I was, but there are people there who have spent years just considering what press will work best, if you are going to do it you'll likely need a separate bench, unless you already have a large bench with an open area.

I set something up that lets me get it done, yet I don't feel knowledgeable enough to offer advice. I just remember where I got advice when I needed it.

Reactions: Weapon_50BMG
    Also this is a 50 we’re talking about not a short action cartridge.

different magnitude of pressures going on inside.

as you already know proceed with caution.

Here’s what I loaded.

Barnard Big-Mac .50BMG: 750gr Hornady A-Max (1:15" twist 32")

Lapua brass, CCI #35 primers, 234gr H50BMG

CBTO (ogive) measurement: 4.403" (.010" jump) 2770fps temp: +25c

And the FCSA group is very helpful.

Went ahead and joined the the FCSA, old school membership as they have to snail mail me my log in info. I appreciate everyone's input and look forward to people sharing their knowledge here too. I'm currently shooing a M107a1 but looking to add a Cadex CDX-50 to my lineup.

Reactions: diverdon
    Do you have reloading components on-hand or are you looking to purchase them in today's insane environment?

Do you have reloading components on-hand or are you looking to purchase them in today's insane environment?
    I have:
    Press
    Dies
    US869 Powder
    H50BMG Powder
    Surplus W860 powder
    CCI Primers
    Once fired brass

Just looking into some projectiles now, There are a lot of options still for 50 cal. projectiles, so I just need to decide which ones I want to try.

Bought a couple hundred of theses a while back to use in My M82A1 to stay within mag length. I think there was one or two out of a hundred that exceeded a +/- .1 weight variance! Loaded them up and just did a test fire but have not done any serious accuracy testing yet.

Might be worth a look.

Forgot to mention that there is an accurizing process for ball that I plan on trying some day. It involves knurling of the projectile, then running them trough a precision bullet sizer.

Forgot to mention that there is an accurizing process for ball that I plan on trying some day. It involves knurling of the projectile, then running them trough a precision bullet sizer.
    Do you have more info on this?

I don't. This was some tribal knowledge passed down to me by some old-timers at a favorite gun store. They said it typically reduced group sizes by like 30%. No idea if this is really attainable.

I don't. This was some tribal knowledge passed down to me by some old-timers at a favorite gun store. They said it typically reduced group sizes by like 30%. No idea if this is really attainable.
    Spent some time looking into this and everything that came up for me was related to 50 cal Muzzleloaders. Don't think it has anything to do with BMG, oh well I learned something in the process.

Running the surplus projectiles through a Lee push through sizer will indeed get you better results. Be sure to cull the undersized ones and hour glass shaped ones.

Sizing and sorting the surplus ball stuff makes it quite a bit better every time I've seen. On good bullets like amax you're obviously wasting time haha.

Something else that pops up a lot when I shot mine a bunch... anneal your brass more frequently than you normally would. Lots of the pull down brass or mg fired stuff needs it badly before you even size it. Don't have to do it fancy or anything crazy, just need to relax the metal a little. Case head in fingers and turn neck in the flame will work just fine and keep you from splitting necks on your first firing.

If you find you can't seem to get it done evenly, the more in depth methods will help with consistency.