• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes sharing optics and standard ring re-zero

tigerfan_9

Minuteman
Nov 8, 2010
New Iberia, LA
I was hoping for some insight on my optics plan....I currently have a hunting rifle, AR and I will be getting a tactical rifle soon likely purchasing a Rem 700 SPS varmint in .308 to get going. Anyway, on a limited budget I can't afford good scopes on all three weapons so I'd like to share optics as needed. I currently have a Leupold Vari-X III on my .270 and a Burris Tac30 1-4 on my AR. I want to sell the Leupold and get one good long range optic (vortex or nightforce probably) to share for the .270 and Rem 700 and occasionally put it on the AR for groups or varmint hunting.

I was going to go with seekins rings on both optics, a seekins ar riser, an a warne picatinny on my a-bolt so that my optics would be compatible with all rifles. My Burris Tac30 has a larue mount but i'd sell that and get some rings for the proper height and compatability.

My two main questions are:
1) has anyone done this or have any insights on my plan? i know it is not ideal, but it is what it is on a budget.

2) how repeatable is the zero using good rings and bases (like seekins) when swapping scopes compared to a Larue QD?

thanks in advance.....

Re: sharing optics and standard ring re-zero

Probably not the ideal way to do it, but if you want to go through all the trouble each time, you can probably make it work.

Have you determined what height rings you need for each gun? I'm only guessing that one size (height) isn't going to fit? So, each time you want to move the scope you'll have to switch it to the rings on the rifle you want to use, right?

Just my opinion, but I think that after a couple times doing this you are going to find it gets to be a real pain in the arse having to mount up the scope level and torque the rings each time you move the scope.

I suggest that you plan on purchasing a Borka torque wrench so that you don't strip out the screw heads on the rings or over/under tighten.

You say you now have a scope on your .270 and AR. While it sucks to have to wait and save up, you'll likely have less headache if you save up for a scope that stays on your new rifle, or at least have it in a quick detach mount that is the right height for use on different rifles.

In my very limited experience (so take it for what it's worth) switching a scope often just increases the chances of messing up your rings, the scope tube, etc.

Yes, you can do it if you have the right tools, and are anal about taking the time to do it correctly each time.

I would be able to use the same rings height so the rings would stay mounted on the optics, I would just have to remove the optic from the rail. The .270 and the Rem 700 would use just a rail and rings, while on the AR i would add a riser to get the scope to the proper height.

I would not be changing that much as I don't hunt that often nor would I use the long range optic on the AR that often but I'd like the option to do so. Once I get my Rem 700 the long range optic would stay on there most of the time and the 1-4x would stay on my AR, while my .270 would be bare except when needing to hunt.

I agree on the Borka wrench so to not strip screws and to have a repeatable torque on the rings. I am going to get a borka kit soon.

the other reason for one optic is to be consistent if i am range shooting with the 700 or hunting with my .270, I would have the same optics, reticle, etc for consistency. It would also give me more options with my hunting as I only have a duplex reticle that doesn't do much for longer distance shots.

tigerfan9, I'm actually in the same dilemma as you. I'm on my first .308 build and I have an AR sitting in my gun safe scope less. My Rem 700 SPS will be going in an AICS stock so theres a little more room in the front than if it were going in a tube gun. I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 that I'm going to use for the .308 (bought it for that) but I also wanted to use it on my AR (until I can afford one for my AR). Originally I wanted the AI AX chassis and learned after a shit load of reading through this site that a ring height of 1.375 (The Nightforce rings) was best for 56mm objectives on the AI AX so without that extra tube up front there would be plenty of room on the AICS. The 1.265 was good for the 50mm objective on the AI AX so once again plenty of room for a non tube gun.

I wanted a QD mount so I've been reading about GG&G 1238 AC-30 Accucam QD Base Mount w/ Integrated Rings which has a ring height of 1.400 inches. There is also another model which has a height of 1.060 inches. The guy from GG&G reminded me not to forget the height of the base on my .308 which added about .060 inches to the total height.

I've also been looking at American Defense AD-RECON-SW SCOPE MOUNT which has a ring height of 1.470 inches. Check out their website as they have a great diagram on the different mounts and heights listed. I think these look more bad ass as well.

From reading everything the guys on this board say about not wanting your scope to be too high I'm guessing these scope mounts are a bit too high for their taste which I can do nothing but agree with since I'm just learning as I go but these are two options for you if you are wanting to switch back and forth like I am. Luckily I have also read that the cheek weld on the AICS is high anyway and you need the scope mounted higher on an AR platform so these two might be a good option. Hope this helps.

I'm running the GG&G 1.060" QD mount between three rifles and height is great. 56mm objective lens sits pretty close to the barrel on all three. They all have 20moa rails and large diameter barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running the GG&G 1.060" QD mount between three rifles and height is great. 56mm objective lens sits pretty close to the barrel on all three. They all have 20moa rails and large diameter barrels. </div></div>
Thats very good to know. So I assume there would be a pretty big difference between the one you have and the other one I listed? I'm very new to this game so is .400 of an inch considered a lot when it comes to ring height? Thanks for your help mnshortdraw.

Anyone do any test or have any info on how well standard rings (with consistent torque) return to zero compared to a good QD mount like larue etc?

Yes, a half inch higher puts it way up in space. The taller ones are designed for AR's to clear the hand guard. It's pretty difficult to find a selection of the shorter ones. Another option is the Nightforce unimount but only comes with a built in cant (20MOA). Multiple heights available and not QD. You would have to run a 0moa rail or deal with a lot of cant. I believe Larue makes several QD mounts in practical heights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone do any test or have any info on how well standard rings (with consistent torque) return to zero compared to a good QD mount like larue etc? </div></div>
I ran some TPS rings for awhile and it was less than a MOA shift after removing/ reinstalling with the torque wrench. My GG&G is less than 1/2moa which fills my needs just fine.

I use TPS rings, I don't pull the scope on an off often, but the couple times I have my zero has shifted 1MOA or less, requires confirmation and/or rezero for ethical hunting or precision at long distance. The important thing with standard or QR rings/mounts is to put them on the rail in the same slot everytime and shove them all the way forward against the lug(s) and hold it there while tightening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running the GG&G 1.060" QD mount between three rifles and height is great. 56mm objective lens sits pretty close to the barrel on all three. They all have 20moa rails and large diameter barrels. </div></div>
Does one of those rifles happen to be an AICS? Reason I ask is because Im reading the cheek weld is already high in general. If so, you just made my year.