• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sheepdog warrior long range class or Barbour creek?

Dave__th3__ss

Ammo prep guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
My reloading room
Looking at possibly taking a long range class at sheepdog warrior in ny or Barbour creek Just to learn more and expand on my knowledge already.

Has anyone taken a course through them either or both? What’d you think? Worth the money?

I’ll be attending the course at Sheepdog on Sunday. First time going, couldn’t find any reviews, so will have to see how it goes. Can report back after!

Reactions: Dave__th3__ss
If sheepdog is close, definitely give it a try. I've never taken one of their classes, but I do shoot PRS there. It's a decent range.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is usuallynot a huge amount of wind there. You are shooting up what looks like a ski slope with trees on both sides. So you might not gain a huge amount of experience reading or dealing with wind. But you should gain a lot of experience shooting out to 1k.

If sheepdog is close, definitely give it a try. I've never taken one of their classes, but I do shoot PRS there. It's a decent range.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is usuallynot a huge amount of wind there. You are shooting up what looks like a ski slope with trees on both sides. So you might not gain a huge amount of experience reading or dealing with wind. But you should gain a lot of experience shooting out to 1k.
I’m looking to get some more experience and knowledge shooting past 5-600. Would love to be able to get experience reading wind at distance.
Plus side I know a fe guys that live up in hunter and Haines falls. Do some Turkey hunting and bear hunting up there for the early season

depending on the day Sheepdog can either be relatively calm, or nasty switchy winds. kinda expected on the side of a 'mountain'

come shoot the June matches there. centerfire saturday and rimfire sunday.

depending on the day Sheepdog can either be relatively calm, or nasty switchy winds. kinda expected on the side of a 'mountain'

come shoot the June matches there. centerfire saturday and rimfire sunday.
I’m Still 5-6 hours away… but it might be worth the trip. I’ve never shot prs. Just shooting on a friend’s property.

Reactions: b6graham
Never took a class there, but I've shot there probably a couple of dozen times when I used to live in Tannersville. Facility is pretty nice and the owner is a good guy. Not a ton of wind compared to where I'm living now (CO), but the thousand yard targets can be challenging because of the way it's set up - wind conditions can be totally different than the targets at even 7-800 yards.

Never took a class there, but I've shot there probably a couple of dozen times when I used to live in Tannersville. Facility is pretty nice and the owner is a good guy. Not a ton of wind compared to where I'm living now (CO), but the thousand yard targets can be challenging because of the way it's set up - wind conditions can be totally different than the targets at even 7-800 yards.
and the wind at 700-800 completely different than 3-500

fun range. shit load of targets and props

Reactions: houndog
I agree it's not the greatest name, but it is a nice facility. And if you live in the northeast there aren't a ton of places you can shoot out to 1,000 yards.

Also, the owner has invested a fair amount of money to get the place up and running and it would be great if he could make a go of it.

I could really careless about the name of a facility. If course are on par and something is to be learned is all I care about. But so far no one has ever taken any classes there that has posted here or on a few other boards

I could really careless about the name of a facility. If course are on par and something is to be learned is all I care about. But so far no one has ever taken any classes there that has posted here or on a few other boards

The name makes me think you're paying for meme-worthy training. I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of dad-bod oriented activities.

Great time at the Sheepdog class this past weekend. Knowledgeable instructors and the range is a lot of fun. There's a ton of steel all over place to keep things real interesting.
This was my first shooting class so I can't really compare, but I'd definitely recommend them based on my positive experience.
I may take their Level 2 class next year.

Reactions: 308pirate
The name makes me think you're paying for meme-worthy training. I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of dad-bod oriented activities.

Instead of guessing and assuming, why don't you go there to find out?

I also don't GAF about the name and would like to go there if it were closer to me.

Great time at the Sheepdog class this past weekend. Knowledgeable instructors and the range is a lot of fun. There's a ton of steel all over place to keep things real interesting.
This was my first shooting class so I can't really compare, but I'd definitely recommend them based on my positive experience.
I may take their Level 2 class next year.
Did you take a lot away from the class? Reading wind? Adjustments etc…

Did you take a lot away from the class? Reading wind? Adjustments etc…
I did. I collected quite a bit of elevation data and gained a lot more confidence making adjustments. This is the only long-distance range within a reasonable drive for me (1.5hrs) and I'm glad I finally made the trip. Prior to this, all my shooting was at 300 yards so the entire experience was new for me.

We were making wind holds on the farthest targets, but overall it wasn't too windy. The range is situated on a mountainside and it seemed somewhat sheltered except for the longest shots.
The instructors said they focus more on wind holds and ranging during the Level 2 class. We primarily worked on elevation this past weekend.

Instead of guessing and assuming, why don't you go there to find out?

I also don't GAF about the name and would like to go there if it were closer to me.

Why don't I fly to the other side of the continent to find out why they lifted their cringy name from 2008 YouTube? You didn't think your post through did you?

Here's a better question, if they don't take themselves serious what do you think the odds are they take their curriculum serious? One "It was fun" review is insufficient to convince me this isn't summer camp for middle aged fat LARPers.

Why don't I fly to the other side of the continent to find out why they lifted their cringy name from 2008 YouTube? You didn't think your post through did you?
I know which part of the country you live in, which is nowhere close to this place. Which is why I was really wondering why you even give a shit about their name. So yes, I did think my post through quite well.

Here's a better question, if they don't take themselves serious what do you think the odds are they take their curriculum serious? One "It was fun" review is insufficient to convince me this isn't summer camp for middle aged fat LARPers.
I'll give your opinion the same weight I would give the opinion from someone with zero experience on the subject matter at hand.

In case you were wondering, those of us on the eastern side of the country don't have millions of acres of public land to shoot at rocks and random trash (I've been out to CO BLM land......). So we tend to be grateful for the long range shooting opportunities we do have and not criticize them for stupid, petty reasons like their names.

I know which part of the country you live in, which is nowhere close to this place. Which is why I was really wondering why you even give a shit about their name. So yes, I did think my post through quite well.

I'll give your opinion the same weight I would give the opinion from someone with zero experience on the subject matter at hand.

In case you were wondering, those of us on the eastern side of the country don't have millions of acres of public land to shoot at rocks and random trash (I've been out to CO BLM land......). So we tend to be grateful for the long range shooting opportunities we do have and not criticize them for stupid, petty reasons like their names.

I wasn't wondering, I don't care about you or anything about you.

@Cascade Hemi WTF, I mean really do you have any specific reason you are slamming Sheepdog? Or are you just being a dick?

Its a good place run by great people, Never taken a class there so I cannot comment on that but it is a good place to shoot.

@Cascade Hemi WTF, I mean really do you have any specific reason you are slamming Sheepdog? Or are you just being a dick?

Its a good place run by great people, Never taken a class there so I cannot comment on that but it is a good place to shoot.
Exactly. Really nice facility. And again, if you live in the Northeast, there just aren't a lot of places where you can shoot out to 1000. I know the owner (a little bit) and when he first opened a couple of years ago he had to deal with a couple of unreasonable neighbors. He's trying to make a go of this. If you live in the Northeast, are interested in long range shooting and would like to have a range within driving distance where you can actually do it you should support this range. To say you don't like them because of their name is just STUPID.

I attended the class this weekend. As for the name, my understanding was it came from Sheepdog Mentality, can google it to get more info, but they run training courses of all types. They could call the range anything they like and I would still go as can get out to 1k.

The course, was a beginner course, nice that was much less classroom (elevation, MOA/MIL, understanding reticle, was kept simple), training and we were shotting within 30 mins. We worked through the course pretty quickly as only 7 shooters showed up (only 2 had shot more than 300yards) due to iffy afternoon weather. Worked on getting DOPE down from 100-1000, helped get zeroed, made sure position on the rifle is correct etc. After lunch was shooting targets up and down the range adjusting elevation to get comfortable with the concept. Then we had free time after to shoot/spot etc.

The range is great, lots of targets, they are setup for PRS and hold events during the year. Both Ed & Sean were great at helping reading wind calls and getting us on target. I think the smallest target was a 6" plate at 1k? I've signed up for the level 2 class later in the summer and will go back on my own time to shoot.

Would I travel across the country or drive 12 hours to take the beginner course? Probably not, I'd find a place closer to you. My 2 hour drive, was well worth it though, picked up some good pointers that helped dramatically by the end of the day even though I have taken a couple courses before. No complaints from me.

If you're looking for a comprehensive beginner/advanced course, I would find a courses that runs 2-4 days so you can maximize your time. Ghost Precision runs a 2 day course that I attended in PA, covers a lot of material over 2 days. Hope that helps!

I wasn't wondering, I don't care about you or anything about you.
...a few of your posts were in threads I found using the search feature, something you piss and moan a lot about.

I ended up here and find you still being a dick, two years later.

I know exactly where you are life, kid. I wish you well and would ask how that attitude worked out for you, but I already know the answer. Pro-tip: Consider professional development and deleting your internet accounts.

Search his history...compelled me to call him out as dick on my first post; he's that disgusting. His wife probably left him and and he's in a dead-end $12/hour job with mounting debt and comes here to take his shortcomings out on anyone who will listen.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
well for those that contributed to my post i appreciate it. for the guy that felt like being a dick bag because the name of a company hurts your feelings i appreciate you too.
not for the fact that your a douche, but the fact that you kept bumping my thread to the top. lmao

thanks again for all the replies and for the laughs

well for those that contributed to my post i appreciate it. for the guy that felt like being a dick bag because the name of a company hurts your feelings i appreciate you too.
not for the fact that your a douche, but the fact that you kept bumping my thread to the top. lmao

thanks again for all the replies and for the laughs

My feelings aren't hurt at all. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong too. Can you share the curriculum that would suggest the book shouldn't be judged by the cover?

...a few of your posts were in threads I found using the search feature, something you piss and moan a lot about.

I ended up here and find you still being a dick, two years later.

I know exactly where you are life, kid. I wish you well and would ask how that attitude worked out for you, but I already know the answer. Pro-tip: Consider professional development and deleting your internet accounts.

Search his history...compelled me to call him out as dick on my first post; he's that disgusting. His wife probably left him and and he's in a dead-end $12/hour job with mounting debt and comes here to take his shortcomings out on anyone who will listen.

Strange series of first posts, are you affiliated with the business in question?

Last edited:
My feelings aren't hurt at all. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong too. Can you share the curriculum that would suggest the book shouldn't be judged by the cover?
I’ve never been there hence why I asked what I did. Here’s the link to their site you can go look for yourself. By posting stupid comments making an ass of yourself without do your own research makes you seem very ignorant

I figured not judging something based on a name or how it looks was just being a decent person.
Not to mention what you find silly for training might be beneficial to someone with less experience.

I’ve never been there hence why I asked what I did. Here’s the link to their site you can go look for yourself. By posting stupid comments making an ass of yourself without do your own research makes you seem very ignorant

I figured not judging something based on a name or how it looks was just being a decent person.
Not to mention what you find silly for training might be beneficial to someone with less experience.

I've taken a fair amount of training over the years. Some of it good, some of it horrible. Not so long ago I took a four day class that turned out to be a Boomer retreat to rub elbows with a firearms industry semi celebrity. The class should have been two days. Unfortunately that wasn't the first mediocre class I've taken.

My time is valuable, more valuable than the cost of travel, accommodations, and ammo. I want to know I'm getting what I signed up for so when the first thing I have to ask is "this organization's name is retarded, are they retarded?" there is a high likelihood I'll pass. I didn't just drop in to take a steaming shit on your thread, my observation is based on expensive experience.

I have looked at their site, their range looks nice, and their instructor bios look like boiler plate. I am sympathetic to shooting opportunities on the east coast but that still doesn't lend credit to their bona fides. It is a fair question to ask if their cliche name is an indication of their curriculum. So far I haven't seen anything to the contrary, there isn't much in the way of reviews from experienced shooters.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong but my experience and instinct says I'm not. I'm open to being proven wrong though. Post pictures and a review when you're done.

Crick24 - thanks for your review.

Dave - if you end up taking a class please post a write up. As I said before, I used to live about 40 minutes from them and considered signing up for a course, but never got around to it/could never find the time.

The only other thing I can add, as someone who has shot there a number of times and knows one of the owners (a little) is to tell you that a number of local SWAT types train at the facility and that the owner can shoot. They also do a number of PRS style competitions.

Was there one time and Eddie (the owner) was next to me doing some plinking with a 1911. He was consistently hitting what I think were 8-10" plates at 100 yards. That doesn't mean the guy can teach, but it's the only data point I really have.

Reactions: Dave__th3__ss