• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shell holder question

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I am sure this is a stupid question but please humor me. I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to be smart when it comes to reloading. My friend is helping/supervising me but he was not 100% sure about my question. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Press and just purchased new Redding dies to start loading .308. The Redding dies box says I should use a #1 shell holder. I use an RCBS #3 shell holder when loading my .22-250 using RCBS dies. I was under the impression both case use the same size shell holder. Does it really matter what brand shell holder I use as long the manufacturer says that it is the right size for my cartridge? If I need to buy a Redding shell holder to use with my Redding dies I will but I was thinking I could just keep using my current RCBS shell holder.

I use an RCBS #3 shell holder with my redding dies for .308. You are good to go.

There's a cross reference chart out there somewhere, lists cases vs brand of shell holder. RCBS, Redding, Lee, etc..