• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shellholders+Dies matching

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I just got into reloading and someone that I know that reloads told me that whatever die you use you have to use that kind of shellholder or it wont seat/size correctly (Ex. RCBS Die with RCBS shellholders: cant use RCBS shellholders with say Forester Dies) Now I have been using Forester BR seater + sizer die with a RCBS press and RCBS shellholders and have HAD NO PROBLEMS. Im am new to reloading so I could be wrong. Am I?

Re: Shellholders+Dies matching

Your good to go on the different shell holders and dies.

Edit: the RCBS hand priming tool pretty much requires RCBS shell holders to fit the best. Lee primer is different also.

ogs is right. If it's the standard T slot shell holders you're GTG, if it's the hand priming ones they are proprietary. The Lee hand primer uses it's own and so does RCBS.

They're not expensive to get a Lee Hand Primer and a special shell holder for it, I think they're a whopping $2 for the LHP shell holder.

About the only way I can think of that the person that told you that might have came to that conclusion is that sometimes, *sometimes*, you wind up with a die that won't size the case quite far enough to bump the shoulder the way it should. It's possible that by changing shellholders they might have 'solved' the problem... but generally speaking most of the shell holders are designed to plug into any of the regular presses and work with any of normal brand of dies - the dimensions are fairly standardized across the brands. Some flavors (Hornady comes to mind) may have less radius around the inner portion and hold the case more snugly side-to-side, and others might have narrower grooves where they engage the extractor rim, but the dimension from the top of the shellholder to where the case head sits is pretty standard. There may be some +/- tolerance between brands, but probably at least as much variation exists between shellholders from different production runs from the same company.