• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shepherd scopes

I've heard a lot of good things a out them over the years. Thanks for reminding me. I'm looking for a hunting scope for my 300 win. Shepards would fit the bill perfectly.

I personally think they are the bain of society. A good friend of mine has one. It has two reticles to move, not just one. So to site it in, you move the first reticle and then have to line up the second with the first. He brought it to Africa with us in 2004, and made a few impressive shots with it, BUT he had trouble holding zero a few times. We were sitting at the range (in South Africa) reading the book and trying to get it back on target. It was a PITA. We got it figured out but WAY to much work. Recently he brought it down to Texas for some hog hunting, it again lost zero, I don't know why? (He sent it back after the SA trip) But the one I have been close to seems way to complicated.

From what I have read/heard, they are impressive and can do some good LR stuff for hunting. But I wouldn't own one and would go with something such as a Varmint Reticle by Leupold.

I had one years ago never lost zero took some getting used to.i did sell it because it was to busy but it worked I wasn't hunting just punching paper but again I never treated it rough so I can't say if it would hold zero but it was a clear scope and was repeatable at 1000 as I remember.

I have gone thru the old threads on them now and am getting a lot of mixed reviews. I just don't know now...lol I am new to the world of LR shooting and just picked up a new Ruger American rifle in .308. I know it is a 22 in light barrel and that it is not for all that long of long distance... maybe out to 700-900 maybe. I am a disabled vet and am currently working at a rifle manufacturer, but have to quit soon or risk losing my SSA disability benefits. So I am on a budget, but have access to a great discount at most companies in the industry. So I want to get a decent scope for my needs and maybe something I can eventually put on a slightly upgraded rifle (i.e. a heavy barrel .308). I am looking at a Nikon 4.5-14x 40 Buckmaster mildot, right now, but was wondering if there is anything else within its price range. I have a max budget of about $300 (with my discount) and am looking at a scope in the price range of about $400-$500. Anyone have any ideas?