• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shepherd scopes

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    Wanting thoughts on these scopes good and bad. Who has them how do they hold up. Looking into this for a friend as I shoot NF's on all my serious rifles. I have seen these scopes quite a bit and I am intrigued by then. Good Idea if all matches your load. Thanks in advance.

Re: Shepherd scopes

badd juju...run away

i got handed one on a hunting rifle some years back....competely whiffed a chip shot on a monster Alberta doe......never fucking again

What was wrong with it if you know? Did it lose zero, bite the dust, or just not match up with the trajectory? Just curious.

I'll take your word for it. What do you think a good budget target scope would be. Hoping to get something MOA/MOA

I have a few Shepherds.
    The comments above could be applied to any bullet drop reticle calibrated for a specific load. If your round of choice does not match the drops in the scope, you are in trouble.
    If you get it right but then change ammo, you may be in trouble.

That said, they have enough versions of the reticle that if you called them with the ballistic data for your rifle/round including drops, I bet they could get you something that was very close if not right on.

It is a hunting scope, not a tactical scope, and as such, you can expect a negative response from members of this board whose needs for a scope are not well suited to this design.

Your average hunter does not know how to spell MOA, let alone do range estimation based on a MIL dot reticle. This scope is tailored for them and appropriately so.

Given that, the design of the reticle was way ahead of it's time (magazine articles on it in 1984 gave it high praise) and is still at or near the top for reticles of this type.

It is a first focal plane scope.

The scope itself is made in japan with japanese glass.
    It is very well made and durable.
    Considering the price for an all japanese scope these days, it is quite a bargain.

The range estimating rings are designed to do estimations based on objects of a specific size (the shoulder to briskit of a deer=18"s) and to make hold overs very fast.

If you have any more questions about specifics, feel free to PM or email me.

I have had this scope but kinda outgrew it, did I like it? YES, I am into dialing in my moa now and they dont have enough adjustment to do that for very long ranges, ONLY if they would incorprate the dual reticle into a 30mm body with about 75 moa of adjustment, then that scope would rock the world, with the dual reticle you can actually see on the reticle how much moa you have adjusted, that would be so nice, anyway its a typical BDC reticle where you have to match your load with the reticle and I would rather match my load for accuracy then dial in moa adjustments

I have two, they are great for hunting. If you decide to get one make sure you match your bullet trajectory with scope.

When hearing a sob-story about Shepherd Scopes, my first question is always "Are you sure you had the correct Shepherd scope?" (The totally honest answer is often "no.") Assuming that the answer is yes, my next question is "Did you actually conduct a test-shoot to validate the rifle-scope combination?" Once again, the totally honest answer is often "no".

The reticles on Shepherd scopes are based on specific calibers using boat-tailed bullets that are fired through 20-inch barrels. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that different calibers, different bullets, or different barrel lengths generate different results.

For example, my older Savage 10FP with Sharpshooter trigger and etc. has a 24-inch barrel. Because the barrel is four inches longer than "normal", my Shepherd scope is dead-on to about 500 yards. Beyond that, some adjustments are required. At 750 yards, for example, I must use the 700-yard mark. At 1,000 yards I must use the 900-yard mark.

Am I sold on Shepherd Scopes? Absolutely. Do I expect them to be "magic"? As John Wayne once said (In <span style="font-style: italic">Big Jake</span>), "Not hardly."

Regards as always,

-- Nighteyes
    cool.gif

I shot with a sgt from Arkansas who was back from a DM tour. He used the Shepard over there and loved it. It takes some getting used to, you dail INTO the correction not away like a 'normal' scope and the 18" circles required a fudge faction on the steel targets but he sure could smoke with his 308.

Not my cup of tea but I like chickory in my coffee so to each their own.

Just wondering outloud why someone who shoots NF on all his "Serious rifles," would need to ask a question like this?