• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SHERMAN WILDCAT CARTRIDGES

ShermanR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2018
I am a new member and posted under same but was told to move the thread here.
My name is Rich Sherman and am the designer and developer of the Sherman cartridge lines based on the LA 270W case and the SA Saum case. I have chamberings in 6 mm thru 35 cal.
My designs incorporate low body taper, 40 degree shoulder and long neck which equate to the best performing cartridges in their respective classes. The LA Shermans have the capacity of the Gibbs case but in a far better design, IMO. Builders will confirm that they will keep up with comparable WM bores with far
less powder! I.e. 6.5 Sherman at 3250+ with 140's, 338 Sherman at 2900 with 250 Berger. (26" barrel)
The SS (Sherman Shortmag) will equal the velocities of the long action versions with less capacity and a coal of under 3". (True short action round) I have prepped Norma brass for the SS and SST
IMG_20180205_144313610.jpg
IMG_20180205_124916210.jpg
IMG_20180205_140607269.jpg

and will have head stamped brass this
summer. (7SS Will reach nearly 3100 with a 180 Berger and other bores are
comparable).
The SST is the exception in the group with the only difference being a 30 degree shoulder. It was designed for PRS but is no pussycat! It will reach over 3100 with a 147 and a coal of 2.770" in my rifle. It is already showing great promise in competition and great barrel life potential between 3000-3100' with a 140. Users are moving up in scores and report much better performance in windy conditions vs competition.
There will be a 6 mm version soon that will max over 3400' with a 115 DTAC.
I will have a website soon, and will be taking pre orders for brass.I have reamers and dies in stock.....Rich

Rich,

Howdy Sir. I've kept up with you and Bigngreen for several years with your various Sherman cartridge developments. I keep saying I'm going to chamber the 6.5SS as soon as I shoot out my 6.5x55 AI Swede barrel. . .the damn thing just wont die!!! I've had the reoccurring itch (6.5SS herpes) for a long while and with the 155gr. Bergers in the works now I'm really stoked. Congrats and I hope you get busy with your venture. . .you've worked hard at it. Good luck!

Reactions: ShermanR
I have been contemplating the 7 SS for a short action.

Can you truly fit a 197grain round in a magazine fed short action (2.90" COAL)?
I know this is something the 7SAUM struggles to do.

Rich, do you chamber barrels, or have a list of the smiths who use your reamer?
Also, do you offer head-space gauges?

Reactions: Shrimptempura
Thank you sir for your support! Let me know when you need anything....rich
I have been contemplating the 7 SS for a short action.

Can you truly fit a 197grain round in a magazine fed short action (2.90" COAL)?
I know this is something the 7SAUM struggles to do.

Rich, do you chamber barrels, or have a list of the smiths who use your reamer?
Also, do you offer head-space gauges?

There are new bullets coming out all the time, so I can only speak to the ones I know about. The 180 VLD is 2.925" TO THE LANDS. I believe the 195 is about the same.
I have the reamer, gauge, dies, and brass in stock. I also have some very good gunsmiths that will do the work, or you can use your own.

Just because I'm curious... on that 338 Sherman, what is your COAL, and what is your load data? I'm asking because I'm having hell even breaking 2800 FPS out of a 338 WM with the 250 Berger (out of a 26" barrel).

Reactions: wildcats
I know, it's s pretty amazing and consistent in 4 different builds! It will reach in the mid 2800s with RL17 and H100v with a 24* barrel and 2900 with Superformance (69 grains) RWS brass and WMR primer. Oh ya, coal is 3.570" TO LANDS

Last edited:
I know, it's s pretty amazing and consistent in 4 different builds! It will reach in the mid 2800s with RL17 and H100v with a 24* barrel and 2900 with Superformance (69 grains) RWS brass and WMR primer.
Right on, thanks for getting back to me... I'll have to play with some Superformance in the 338WM.

I'm definitely keeping these cartridges in mind for my upcoming ARC Nucleus build!

Reactions: ShermanR
I was planning on a 7 SAUM build this spring/summer the 7SS may have won me over. What is the easiest way to get use of your reamer? Ship a blank to you or one of your smith's of choice? What dies do you have in stock and would your prepped norma brass need any fire forming or anything like that? And lastly, have you done any testing with short barrels, I was thinking of using a 20" barrel? This would strictly be for hunting.

I was planning on a 7 SAUM build this spring/summer the 7SS may have won me over. What is the easiest way to get use of your reamer? Ship a blank to you or one of your smith's of choice? What dies do you have in stock and would your prepped norma brass need any fire forming or anything like that? And lastly, have you done any testing with short barrels, I was thinking of using a 20" barrel? This would strictly be for hunting.

I can recommend a good smith or rent a reamer to yours. I have Whidden custom
bushing dies in stock with micrometer seater. You would have no trouble making 2900+ with a 20" barrel since the case is so efficient. I have run 3060' in my 26" with a 180 Berger.

I think that they will. I can give you a couple names if you like.......Rich

Rich is a great guy to deal with! I've got a 6.5 Sherman (long action) built on a Rem 700 and had a great time hunting in WY this past fall. I'm pushing a 140 VLD at 3167 with 60.5 gr RL-26. I achieved ~ 3240 with 61.5 gr, but accuracy was slightly better at 60.5 gr. This is from a 25" barrel.

Attachments

• Sherman1.JPG
    Sherman1.JPG
    753.4 KB · Views: 182
Rich is a great guy to deal with! I've got a 6.5 Sherman (long action) built on a Rem 700 and had a great time hunting in WY this past fall. I'm pushing a 140 VLD at 3167 with 60.5 gr RL-26. I achieved ~ 3240 with 61.5 gr, but accuracy was slightly better at 60.5 gr. This is from a 25" barrel.
Daaaaaaamn!! That's what I'm talkin' about! This is looking more and more like one of the chamberings I'm going to use with my ARC Nucleus.

I am having a smith check on this and he will get back soon with a quote. He likes a shoulder rather than a nut, but would do either. If you guys want to work on a group buy, I will help as I can. The smith did say he heard it would be October before more of the actions would be available.

Reactions: JCARL and Jspillm
I am having a smith check on this and he will get back soon with a quote. He likes a shoulder rather than a nut, but would do either. If you guys want to work on a group buy, I will help as I can. The smith did say he heard it would be October before more of the actions would be available.

Can do shouldered pre-fits for the Nucleus. I know PVA is going to offer them.

Reactions: Tactical Taz
Right on, thanks for getting back to me... I'll have to play with some Superformance in the 338WM.

I'm definitely keeping these cartridges in mind for my upcoming ARC Nucleus build!
I would highly recommend you try RL26 in your WM behind the 250's. You have the capacity for it....rich

Will the brass come formed?

There is bit more information over here...

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/7mm-sherman-short-mag.6870335/page-2#post-7050541

From ShermanR (Rich)

“Hi guys! I've been out of touch for a bit so I will try to get up to speed. If I miss any info that you need, just sing out.

The ADG brass is now being offered for pre order for $250/100. Everything that I have heard is it is excellent quality. It will all come properly head spaced and stamped in 6.5 sst, 6.5 SS, and 7ss. All will come with a 7mm neck. The sst can be fired with full loads as only a little taper is being blown out. The ss should be reduced about 8-10 percent as the 40 degree shoulder is being formed. Other calibers can be easily formed from the above.

Reamers are now available for purchase or rental. Dies and prepped Norma brass are in stock. I also can order hydro form dies if wanted.

July is the production target from ADG but I should have brass to test in June.

I would recommend pre order to be absolutely sure you will have brass available because I have to guess on what a years supply is??”

Just asking because I’m not sure, with the sharp shoulder and bullets seated long will these cartridges be a bit of a pain feeding from a magazine, box or fixed?
Love the idea for 7mm and especially 30 cal to “better “ performance of.300 win mag.
What kind of data to support the 7mm and .300?

Just asking because I’m not sure, with the sharp shoulder and bullets seated long will these cartridges be a bit of a pain feeding from a magazine, box or fixed?
Love the idea for 7mm and especially 30 cal to “better “ performance of.300 win mag.
What kind of data to support the 7mm and .300?

I decided on the 7 SS from reading about the 6.5SS on Longrange Hunting. There seem to be different threads for different calibers but here are links for the 7 and 300.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7-mm-sherman-shortmag-vs-7-saum.155921/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/300-sherman-shortmag-ss.172174/

Hi,
I am interested in maybe doing a barrel for the 6.5 SST . Have you tried Sierra 150 Matchking's with your reamer and what velocity could you expect?
What is the freebore on your 6.5SST reamer?

Hi,
I am interested in maybe doing a barrel for the 6.5 SST . Have you tried Sierra 150 Matchking's with your reamer and what velocity could you expect?
What is the freebore on your 6.5SST reamer?
I’ve got one 28” barrel , long freebore reamer
OAL with 150 is 2.930 to touch , I run them 20 off
My node is right at 3000 with h1000 and or 8133
With rl26 there seems to be a node at 3050 and it will go 3140 with a little ejector swipe.
I really wanted to use a stable powder so I’m happy with the 3000 FPS shoots in the 2s

I have a 30 Sherman Magnum (300 PRC S.I.) on the long range planner. I have the action right now for it, and will get the rest as time/money allow.

Rich, are there Smith’s out there in the wild that have your reamer, or is it only rental/purchase right now?

Any plans for a reamer with a shorter throat, or are the 225ELDM’s not really jump sensitive?

Only rental/purchase now but I can recommend a good smith if you want?
You need a 3.750 mag length. No plans for another reamer as of today.

Only rental/purchase now but I can recommend a good smith if you want?
You need a 3.750 mag length. No plans for another reamer as of today.

Always looking for a good recommendation for a smith, I assume you know the ones who are best at chambering your calibers! Just need to pick up a 9 twist barrel. I imagine the Whidden die situation will be long worked out by the time I get a barrel and am ready to put together my barreled action.

My new 22" 300 Sherman Short Mag is 40 rounds deep:
200 grain Berger Hybrid
62.5 grains of RL16
3068 fps unsupressed and slowly speeding up
One large hole with 3-shot groups @100 yards
10.9 MOA gets 2" groups @ 640 yards

I run a 30 Sherman Mag 20” Proof CF with 215s at 2950fps, N570. Shoots 3” 3 shot groups on my 755 yard plate.

I've got a 6.5 Max here, built on a Tikka. 27" Bartlein. 3350 w/ Barnes match burner 145's & n570, but run them at 3250 to avoid blow-ups. Need to get some 156 eol's to reach full potential.

Reactions: BCX
I have the 300 Sherman….it is an amazing 30-06 improved….180 Berger eh at 3050fps running R26. Peterson 280 AI brass as a base makes this almost as easy as a factory load!

It really isn’t clearly said here, but the value in the name Sherman is that these are super high performance chambers, perfectly designed for max performance with premium bullets. Seriously no compromises. The dies are made custom by quality die makers. Pricing is very reasonable for what you are getting.

Reactions: jafo96