• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shilen Alternut System w/ Remington 700

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    What experience have you all had with using a barrel nut system like the Shilen "Alternut" on the Remington?

When my .308 barrel is kaput I want to switch to 6.5 CM.

Criterion prefit barrel, Bighorn barrel nut. It uses a standard 12 point wrench or torque adapter to tighten, and looks way better than that ugly savage style nut.

This is the first I have heard of the Alternut, and it looks like an interesting concept in that the tenon threads are separate from the threads with which the nut interfaces. I suppose that the idea is to leave the breach end of the barrel as thick as possible for as much of the breach as possible... but TBH it strikes me as an answer to the question that no one asked. I am having trouble seeing what this approach brings to the table that a regular Savage-style nut doesn't. As much as I dig innovation and want to support my local companies, this product seems to be a day late and a dollar short. I DO appreciate support for the Howa/Vanguard, though.

That said, it's certainly possible that I've overlooked something... I'm sure if that's the case, someone will be along shortly to educate me.

Shilen Alternut.jpg

Criterion prefit barrel, Bighorn barrel nut. It uses a standard 12 point wrench or torque adapter to tighten, and looks way better than that ugly savage style nut.
    I like the savage style nut, it gets a lot of snake eyes at a match.

• Haha
    Reactions: Steel head
    I run a NSS set-up with no issues. Currently, switching back and forth from 308 to 260 Rem in 10 to 15 minutes.

I’ve personally not heard of the alternut system.

As @PAYDIRT said, I also get the stink eye but it’s whatever. It shoots and a ton of fun!

Reactions: PAYDIRT