• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing shilen barrels

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Have any of you guys shoot these barrles? Looking at one for a 308 ofcourse I would go with the sellect match. Just wondering what accurcy your getting.

Re: shilen barrels

this is 3 shots @ 110 out of my 260 durring early load (only time i do 3 shot groups is testing pressure) development.

1-8 shilen select match 26"
003-2-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

rifle now wears a nsx

Unless you are shooting matches, save ur money and go for the standard stainless match shilen. I have owned several of both and the difference couldn't be seen inside 300 yards. Excellent barrels, though some will say they don't have as long a life as some other makers tubes...

More often your accuracy will be affected by the smith who cuts and threads it, chambers it and trues up the action. Unless you are using a premium action like a surgeon, or a blueprinted remington, the difference in barrel quality from the standard to the select wont been seen. Simply rebarreling a standard action with a new tube is not going to get pin point accuracy. It takes money and the extra cost for the select is not going to make enough difference to justify the extra cost without spending a bunch more to true the action its screwed into.

I have an X-Bolt (comes with a Shilen). It's amazingly accurate for a factory rifle with a slim barrel. It shoots all my handloads sub-MOA out to 400yds (as far as I can shoot unfortunately).

I have had several Shilens and they were all excellent. The highend barrels are very easy to clean- if you have to clean them at all.

david

We've used Shilen Select Match barrels on about 97% of our custom builds. We guarantee sub 0.5 MOA accuracy with FACTORY MATCH AMMO using 5 shot groups (duplicated) for verification. Never had a Shilen that could not perform to those standards!

We've built 308's that would hold <2.25" 5 shot groups at 500M (about 530 yards)

Hope this helps.

My Shilen SS match grade select 1-8" twist 24" chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor is a tack driver. I've been very happy with the barrel, I'm approaching 1,600 rounds through this tube.