• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Shilen Barrles

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
I read a lot of talk on hear about barrles. Bi the end of discusion a lot of shooters say you can't go wrong with Krieger, Broughton, Rock, Schnieder, and I know some I have missed. But I never hear about Shilen. Anyone have any in put on them ?

Re: Shilen Barrles

I have 2 and both shoot great. I have a weatherby mark v with a 24 inch select stainless on it and it shoots 1/2 inch at 100. I also have some bartlien barrels and they are great also.

Ive got a couple CM ones, they shoot good for me
smile.gif

Kc

I've used 8 or 9 all with great results.

Both their "Match" and "Select Match" grades shot half MOA or less.

"Select Match" being the premium grade comparable to the other premium barrels talked about on here.

I am currently putting a .243 together with a shilen match barrel. I will let you know how it shoots when its done.
I have heard nothing but good things about them.

I have one on my rim fire ruger 77/22, it shoots awesome with quality ammo.

50 yard smack the smiley target
001-6-1-1.jpg

I have one shilen (select match), 4 bartleins, 4 kreigers, enuff said.

Only had one barrel from Shilen and it would not shoot however or whatever you done. Talked to Doug Shilen and was told it was my problem not Shilens, his final stand was they never turned out a bad barrel. Have since used several Keirgers with great results

We put one on our new Savage build, actually our first rifle build. I've had numerous customs built but have always been long range pistols, one XP (15" 6mm/284) had a Shilen and it was a one holer at 100 yards. We presently use Lilja on our long range 260 pistols but thought we'd try a Shilen Select Match on our 260 rifle. While working up loads the 42.5gr of H4350 and Hornady 140BTHP match load put 3 into .084. I know it's not 5 shots but was working up loads not testing the shooter. The worst load tested that day at 100 yards was .73 and most all others were .5 and under. Didn't seem picky at all. At the 1000 yard range it is exceeding our expectations. I think all quality barrels can be shooters and most can outshoot the shooter, just pick which flavor of the month and go with it.

084targetsmall.jpg

I'm gathering parts now for another Savage build and just ordered another Shilen Select Match 28" and action. That's how confident I am of the barrels.

Topstrap

75grVmax6mmBR14intwist50yard.jpg

A couple of 3 shot groups at 50 yards.

I put an old take off 6mmPPC Shilen barrel on 1917 Savage 99 lever action, reamed out the chamber to 6mmBR, and drilled and tapped for a scope.

My Krieger, Hart, and Lilja barrels are just as good. But I can get the Shilen barrels faster and cheaper.

The one we put on our Savage was prechambered and threaded from Northland Shooters Supply.

Topstrap

I ordered one for a AR-15. You could see a burr in the barrel where the gas port was, and the crown was wider on one side than the other. I sent it back- thank you Midwayusa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered one for a AR-15. <span style="font-weight: bold">You could see a burr in the barrel where the gas port was</span>, </div></div>

Apparently, that's common.

Im new to ARs, and was surprised to see one in my expensive ass AR barrel too.
Shot right out, as I was told it would. Accurate as hell now.

I have used them, and have always had great results with their select match grade barrels. Their barrels have been used to win a lot of matches, so I would say they are worth it. As for they can't make a bad barrel, well, anyone can make a bad anything. The thing is, who, and how was that barrel fitted, because the best parts aren't worth anything if improperly installed and used.

If Keith reccomends it Id have no hesitations going with one. Something Id read though either here or on 6mm BR I believe that if go with one of the top manufacturers they are all good Krieger shilen broughton hart shcnieder etc. Its who does the work ie chamber and assembles the rifle that makes the difference. If you need the good smith Keith and Brad over at PCR are great guys to deal with and they build some nice rifles.