• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shilen mid weight on 10/22 but now won't extract

fish30114

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2010
Canton Georgia
Just installed this barrel on my 10/22, had to relieve the barrel channel a bit, that went well, but put her all together and it won't exract now. It appears that the extractor can't get beneath the rim of the cases, the come out pretty easy with a small flat blade screwdrive to start them. It looks as if I were to file the edge of the extractor blade down some, it might be able to get under the rim, but frankly, this rifle extracted flawlessly with the factory barrel, so I don't really want to muck around with the bolt and parts at all....

I don't have a lathe or anything to be tweaking on the barrel, but have typical hand tools for gunsmithing to a minimum degree, so I'm just looking for tips and ideas, or anyone else who has experienced this problem, and how they solved it.

Re: Shilen mid weight on 10/22 but now won't extract

Many aftermarket 10/22 barrels don't permit extraction of LIVE rounds.
Sometimes an aftermarket extractor helps.
At speed games an open pocket knife or small screwdriver on the table is standard equipment.

The tight chamber contributes to this, especially if the bullet engraves on chambering is a major cause.

Factory barrel extracts easily because the chamber is sloppy.
This is part of the deal with match chambers, or at least tighter ones in semiautos.
If empties don't eject, that's a different problem.

Thanks frog, I don't know about live rounds yet, but the issue right now is with empty cases. Action cycles, but doesn't extract the empty, and closes on top of the empty case. Tried 8-9 times, and only twice has a round been stripped from the mag and tried to close on the empty case, causing a jam...

I'm thinking maybe I need to rotate the barrel just a bit to get better alignment with the extractor slot??? I thought that when tightening the 'v' block, it would square the barrel to where it wanted to be, but perhaps not so. The barrel was a VERY tight fit, which I thought was good......had to put a little Kroil on her and tap it pretty hard with a rubber mallet to get her seated.

Try some some grease ( I use VersaChem Anti-Seize Thread Lube), tap the rear of the receiver until seated, extractor should be centered, or least not rubbing. I think screws only 25-30 inch/lb, not real very tight.

Ammo?

Since only the barrel was changed, I'm a little stumped. Going on RFC was a good move.

Frog, next time I'll try some grease, but the Kroil actually worked well....I've used several different types of ammo now, tried it about 20 rounds with same results. I twisted the barrel slightly, or I should say a turned the action, clamped the barrel in a vise really tightly, and turned the action a slight bit, and it cycled the next several rounds without incident--several meaning 10...forgot to try extracting live round, will go try that now.

I haven't had any problems w/ extractions on my Shilen 10/22 barrels so far. The only problems I have had w/extraction on a Shilen barrel was on my 77/22. Those problems only occur when I try Wolf Match Extra and SK Standard Plus. The fired cases have to be removed w/a knife blade as frog said. Luckily CCI Green Tag and Federal Gold Medal Match run flawlessly thru it.